Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
So you are telling me that a system (Obamacare) that is going to hugely increase the number of people getting private health cover will increase premiums? Not sure how premiums should go up if the Companies are getting more revenue.
Maybe the Insurance companies are now using the ignorance about Obamacare to scare people by raising their premiums even though Obamacare is increasing the number of premium payers. Too many here are susceptible to the "scare tactics" of big corporations etc who know they can manipulate people with fear.
We can only know if Obamacare is making premiums higher when it is implemented in 2014.... until then it is just fear based speculation.
The answer is very simple, while the revenue increases, the requirement to cover pre-existing conditions, is one that dramatically increases costs.

Since costs increase faster than revenue, revenue must be increased by raising premiums.

Simple math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 01:13 PM

5,787 posts, read 4,717,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If that happens then so be it. Heath insurance shouldn't be tied to full time employment anyway. That's the whole fracking point.

So when you champion improving the middle class' station in life, you are also championing them losing a really good health care plan in which they don't have to contribute a penny for a crappier plan or having to pay for it themselves?

I'd love for you to explain how you feel to my employees who I guarantee wouldn't like you very much for telling them that.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is very simple, while the revenue increases, the requirement to cover pre-existing conditions, is one that dramatically increases costs.

Since costs increase faster than revenue, revenue must be increased by raising premiums.

Simple math.

Exactly.

And Obama knew from the beginning that eventually, private health care insurance companies will no longer be able to compete.

ObamaCare is designed to destroy private insurance completely and put everyone on a government plan which will need to be subsidized with more and more tax dollars.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
We can only know if Obamacare is making premiums higher when it is implemented in 2014.... until then it is just fear based speculation.

Ummmmm....hello?

There are very bright people who I pay to decipher what impact ObamaCare will have on my business.

They've gone through that piece of crap line by line.

They aren't telling me anything that's untrue, a fear tactic, or partisan in any way....just what's coming in the near future.

It's not "speculation" when you can READ the law and see it in black and white!!

Old 10-09-2012, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
One of the reasons is because Obamacare has defined full time to be 30 hours (which is really still part time).

Old 10-09-2012, 01:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
So you are telling me that a system (Obamacare) that is going to hugely increase the number of people getting private health cover will increase premiums? Not sure how premiums should go up if the Companies are getting more revenue.
Maybe the Insurance companies are now using the ignorance about Obamacare to scare people by raising their premiums even though Obamacare is increasing the number of premium payers. Too many here are susceptible to the "scare tactics" of big corporations etc who know they can manipulate people with fear.
The point of putting off mass enrollment was to give a few years to build up a stash.
The higher premiums are happening now along with bits and pieces of Obamacare that get enacted.

But the hold off to 2014 was to build up the pool of money used to subsidize the millions that will be going to the pool for their insurance.

Premiums went up to pay for all the goodies that have kicked in. No more co-pays. Well who do you think is covering that ?
This stuff didn't turn "free" overnight. Nothing is FREE.

They got rid of lifetime limits. Who is going to pay for that ? Premiums are going to pay for that my friend, our premiums.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
If that happens then so be it. Heath insurance shouldn't be tied to full time employment anyway. That's the whole fracking point.
By the way......health care insurance IS NOT TIED to full time employment.

If a company CHOSE to, it could offer coverage to part-time employees as well.

Just as there's no law saying I MUST give full-time employees any coverage at all.

I only do that because (a) I treat my employees like family and (b) it makes it possible for me to compete with other companies for the best and the brightest.

But YOU would prefer my employees get nothing. How does that feel as a liberal to be behind denying good people a good life?

Old 10-09-2012, 01:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
So when you champion improving the middle class' station in life, you are also championing them losing a really good health care plan in which they don't have to contribute a penny for a crappier plan or having to pay for it themselves?

I'd love for you to explain how you feel to my employees who I guarantee wouldn't like you very much for telling them that.
I don't want anyone to LOOSE anything. I myself have been covered by good insurnce via employer for most of my life. That's changing now and the options are dismal. The fact is, even those good employer plans aren't as good as they used to be and they are getting worse. If you are an employer and have been for more than a couple years you would know that and agree. But pretending it's all good now and fighting to not change it is lame, it's not all good...not for most people anyway. Things change and we have to change with it.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:34 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,848,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Ummmmm....hello?

There are very bright people who I pay to decipher what impact ObamaCare will have on my business.

They've gone through that piece of crap line by line.

They aren't telling me anything that's untrue, a fear tactic, or partisan in any way....just what's coming in the near future.

It's not "speculation" when you can READ the law and see it in black and white!!
To be honest, Obamacare is the better of all evils here at the moment. If you really want a system that will NOT impact your business than a Govt. funded UHC is the ONLY way to go.
Work and health care should not be linked but two seperate entities.
If people here insist on having health care ruled by insurance companies then with or without Obama care..... you are going to be "ripped off" as you have been for many years now.
Govt. funded health care works all over the World successfully, only America, out of all the industrialised Nations, is still under the control of big private health insurance companies with millions going bankrupt or dying because of the greed of Insurance companies.
If you don't want to have a health system that is non profit and not involved in the workplace.... stop moaning when your bottom line is affected.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I don't want anyone to LOOSE anything. I myself have been covered by good insurnce via employer for most of my life. That's changing now and the options are dismal. The fact is, even those good employer plans aren't as good as they used to be and they are getting worse. If you are an employer and have been for more than a couple years you would know that and agree. But pretending it's all good now and fighting to not change it is lame, it's not all good...not for most people anyway. Things change and we have to change with it.

So then things are getting worse......yes, I will agree that Obamacare has made things worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies