Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Myopic.

This is moving in the right direction. Rome was not built in a day.
We aren't building Rome, we're trying to save it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,299 times
I have a hard time fathoming how much money that is, honestly. The deficit should never become so out of control so fast. We went from a nearly balanced budget just over a decade ago, to this debacle we have now.

Deficit spending is not a bad thing, however, during times of recession, but I'm afraid when/if the economy gets back on its feet, we will still run $500+ billion deficits.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,784,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
a cut of $200 billion in the deficit, not a bad start, but NOT the 50% cut that obama promised in 2008. so nice try, but no cigar.
EXACTLY RIGHT!

50% cut? He doubled it first, so to say $200B is a good start, a good start from what point?

I was for cutting the deficit after I was for doubling it?

Obama's fiscal prowess should be considered the eighth wonder of the world. Nobody will ever manage to do the political and social damage this cat has in just four short years.

sheez

Old 10-12-2012, 06:47 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,963 times
This is bad news. We need to explode the deficit and actually invest into America. We need to modernize our infrastructure, put teachers, policemen, and firefighters back to work. We need an investment led recovery

To quote Sachs, A true recovery should be investment led rather than consumption led. We need long-term investments in human capital (skills) and in key infrastructure such as low-carbon energy systems, smart grids for cities, cutting-edge information and management systems for low-cost integrated healthcare delivery, and inter-city fast rail.
Jeffrey Sachs: Economic Policy Beyond Gimmicks

Paltry tax cuts and austerity measurements are getting us nowhere.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I have a hard time fathoming how much money that is, honestly. The deficit should never become so out of control so fast. We went from a nearly balanced budget just over a decade ago, to this debacle we have now.
Thank a Republican for that.

Downturn and Legacy of Bush Policies Drive Large Current Deficits — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM

37,960 posts, read 22,137,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
@CNBC: BREAKING: White House: Full Year 2012 deficit fell to $1.089 trillion, $207 billion less than 2011.

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/256832972907495424

Congressional analysts put 2012 deficit at $1.1 trillion, as GOP pounces | Fox News
Sound like some of that "Republican obstructionism" is paying off

Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sound like some of that "Republican obstructionism" is paying off
Tell that to the unemployed.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 PM

27,117 posts, read 15,303,353 times
That's a HUGE deficit.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
RNF RNF started this thread

141 posts, read 232,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
a 1 trillion dollar (for ONE YEAR) deficit, is a good start???
A good/alright start in as better than what he was doing before. You can't snap your fingers and make the deficit magically disappear.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
@CNBC: BREAKING: White House: Full Year 2012 deficit fell to $1.089 trillion, $207 billion less than 2011.
Since your education was obviously sub-standard, here's a link you'll be interested in...
es·ti·mate/ˈestəˌmāt/

Roughly calculate or judge the value, number, quantity, or extent of.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cps+...&bpcl=35277026

Breaking...

Mircea

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
We aren't building Rome, we're trying to save it.
Okay.

Fiddling...

Mircea

Quote:
I have a hard time fathoming how much money that is, honestly.
Good for you that you can admit that.

You're not alone. It's really hard to visualize or conceptualize it. I'll be damned if I can even grasp it. Yeah, I know, if you take $1 Bills and stack them it will go to the Moon and back, blah, blah, blah, blah but that doesn't really do much.

I think sometimes it's best to view it in terms of individual responsibility. For example, for every American 16 years and over, the National Debt comes to $61,532.91 per person.

$1 TRILLION works out to $4,102.19 per person (over 16 years).

Is that a lot?

Surely we can develop an objective standard to view it. That's about 4 months of income for me.

Quote:
The deficit should never become so out of control so fast. We went from a nearly balanced budget just over a decade ago, to this debacle we have now.
Well, sometimes you have to spend money to make money, but normally that is done by level-headed rational people who have a plan to recoup what they spent (as far as their initial indebtedness).

Sometimes it's also necessary to spend money to keep from spending money.

Would you spend $1,000 now in order to avoid spending $100,000 in the future? Your foreign policy as it relates to your wars is something like that.

Quote:
Deficit spending is not a bad thing, however, during times of recession, but I'm afraid when/if the economy gets back on its feet, we will still run $500+ billion deficits.
You'll be running $TRILLION deficits forever (in any practical sense).

Consoling...

Mircea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies