Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,465,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Tell her that political questions make you vomit.
Or, better yet: fart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Default What do you do when your dental hygienist starts asking you political questions?

I would simply say "I don't talk politics"

Old 10-16-2012, 04:42 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Went to the dentist today. There is a TV in the room. I have it on CNN, and the hygienist (new) says "please don't tell me you are going to vote for Obama", incredulously. I have never met this person before in my life. This is the person who is going to be working on my mouth in a few minutes.

I just looked at her. I was so taken aback I did not know how to respond. I did not want to **** her off before she finished with my mouth. After I got my crown, I told the Dentist, who I have known for a long time, but have no idea what his party affiliation is, nor do I care. I told him it was inappropriate. He agreed and said it was unacceptable and that he would terminate her if I thought that was right thing to do.

Of course, I did not want her to be terminated. She was young and stupid. I just asked for a new hygienist the next time. My whole family uses this dentist. He probably has made about 10K off of us this year alone.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Wow! I wouldn't say a word about my politics to anyone when their hands have access to the sensitive nerves in my mouth.

How can they understand open mouth talk anyway to make sense of anything you say?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
She may have, and the other hygienist would probably say that _______, gave me a Christmas present last year.
Perhaps.

I just think there were easy ways to avoid the discussion entirely, if you didn't wish to talk about it.

I'm also not big on "reporting people" for reasonably insignificant things. If/when I do it would be for something I consider major, (i.e. not washing her hands, attempting to use an obviously dirty instrument).

Old 10-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,920,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Why not simply ask if they could please change the TV to the Weather Channel, or something else reasonably benign?
Why bother, good vets are not all that hard to find. Someone that doesn't have the sense not to air Glenn Beck in their waiting room does not deserve my business.

I don't have the need to inject politics into every facet of my daily life and will simply take my money elsewhere.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Sounds like the dentis is smarter than then OP who sounds very intolerant of someone elses opinion..

Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,226,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Why bother, good vets are not all that hard to find. Someone that doesn't have the sense not to air Glenn Beck in their waiting room does not deserve my business.

I don't have the need to inject politics into every facet of my daily life and will simply take my money elsewhere.
Perhaps they turned it on to accommodate another client's request?

I disagree that good vets are not all that hard to find.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I would simply say "I don't talk politics"

Thats what I always say.I enjoy politics here on the forum . But when ever I am at a social function I just listen and if I am asked anything political I respond with I don't keep up with politics and it does not really matter who wins because we all lose in the end .

My wife and mother in law ask me questions about politics and I try to answer honestly what my opinion is on what they ask.

And that is as far as it goes.

I am a franchisee And I forbid any politics or religion to be discussed at my place of buss with customers or coworkers when they get hired by my company they sign a employee hand book that has this rule among other rules . This rule is grounds for immediate termination.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times
I generally tell people that my vote is a private matter between me and the ballot box.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sure.

Why are you so butthurt anyway. According to you, Obama is the best thing since sliced bread so I'm surprised you didn't seize the opportunity to drop some of that "superior intellect" you display here on her to convince her she's living in an alternate reality by supporting Mittens.
Anyone dumb enough to comment on a new patient's politics is too dumb to understand cogent, intelligent discourse. It would be like casting pearls in front of swine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies