Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:00 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Good thing that the Mormon church is there to protect a child from her/his non-Mormon parents at a wedding ceremony.
Your words, not mine, and certainly not my church's. Your contempt runs deep. I'm sorry about that.

FYI, an LDS couple can choose to get married in an LDS temple, an LDS church, the county clerk's office, at the home of a friend, in a building belonging to a different religion, on a mountain top at sunrise or on the beach at sunset. Any of these weddings would be considered legally binding by the church, and -- with the exception of a marriage in the LDS temple -- the couple is free to invite whomever the wish to attend. Nobody is forced to marry in a temple. Yes, they are encouraged to do so, but they are not punished or in any way shunned, etc. should they choose not to. And, as I said before, they can return to the temple to have their marriage sealed later on.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-22-2012 at 08:15 PM..

Old 10-22-2012, 08:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Your contempt runs deep. I'm sorry about that.
*LOL* I'm Catholic. If you think anything I have said is anything close to contempt you are blissfully naive.

Quote:
Your words, not mine, and certainly not my church's.

Quote:
One further thought... I personally believe that a Mormon couple who has parents who are unable to attend their temple wedding get married elsewhere and then return to the temple at a later date to have their marriage "sealed." It would save a lot of hurt feelings, and the end result would be the same. But that's just me.
So do tell. Why are some parents "UNABLE" attend their child's marriage when the parents would love to do so and they have a good relationship with their child? Why is the Church inducing hurt feelings among family members?

Marriage is to be celebrated by all who love the couple, not just those whom an institution says are religiously righteous enough to do so. The very thought is something that the pharisees would have loved. Jesus, not so much.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
*LOL* I'm Catholic.
That surprises me. I'd have never guessed. I'd have guessed Protestant.

Quote:
If you think anything I have said is anything close to contempt you are blissfully naive.
In that case, I owe you a debt of gratitude for your kind remarks.

Quote:
So do tell. Why are some parents "UNABLE" attend their child's marriage when the parents would love to do so and they have a good relationship with their child?
I've already explained that there is an option that would make it so that these parents are "ABLE" to attend. Whether to go with this option is left up to the couple. I personally disagree with the choice many of them are making. Both my husbands' and my parents were able to attend our temple wedding. If one or the other of them had not been permitted to, I think we'd have gone with a ceremony elsewhere.

Quote:
Why is the Church inducing hurt feelings among family members?
I can't say. I'm just one member of the Church. I'm not "the Church" and can't speak on behalf of it. I feel that any church is 100% justified in permitting only its own members to attend certain religious ceremonies, so I have no problem with the LDS Church's refusal to permit non-members to participate. I do feel that the LDS leadership is wrong in pushing temple marriage to the extent it does when family members must be excluded.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
That surprises me. I'd have never guessed. I'd have guessed Protestant.
The horror!

Quote:
In that case, I owe you a debt of gratitude for your kind remarks.
Hey, you have it easy as a Mormon compared to us Catholics.

Quote:
I've already explained that there is an option that would make it so that these parents are "ABLE" to attend. Whether to to with this option is left up to the couple. I personally disagree with the choice many of them are making.
Easier just to open up the temple doors. Just saying.

Quote:
I can't say. I'm just one member of the Church. I'm not "the Church" and can't speak on behalf of it. I feel churches are 100% justified in permitting only their own members to attend religious ceremonies, so I have no problem with the LDS Church's refusal to permit non-members to participate. I do feel that the LDS leadership is wrong in pushing temple marriage when family members must be excluded.
I never said that religions don't have the right to exclude others from observing religious ceremonies. It's just not way of Christ.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
The horror!
That's kind of what I thought, actually.

Quote:
Hey, you have it easy as a Mormon compared to us Catholics.
Oh yeah? You could fool me, but whatever.

Quote:
Easier just to open up the temple doors. Just saying.
Easy isn't always the best answer.

Quote:
I never said that religions don't have the right to exclude others from observing religious ceremonies. It's just not way of Christ.
No, it's just not the way of your own particular belief system. I don't know why you think you're in any more of a position than anybody else is to define what is and what is not "the way of Christ." In my opinion, that's something best left up to God. In the words of my favorite Catholic (Mother Teresa), "For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It never was between you and them anyway."

Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
That's kind of what I thought, actually.
I think I've mentioned that before actually.

Quote:
Oh yeah? You could fool me, but whatever.
When Mormons have to start selling off Church holdings to settle with the victims of pedophile priests (bishops), then you'll have something to really be pillioried for. The old practice of polygamy doesn't get you close, thankfully for you.

Quote:
Easy isn't always the best answer.
Easier as in the "eye of the needle."

Quote:
No, it's just not the way of your own particular belief system. I don't know why you think you're in any more of a position than anybody else is to say that the "way of Christ" is.
The bible offers some pretty clear examples.

Quote:
In my opinion, that's something best left up to God. In the words of my favorite Catholic (Mother Teresa), "For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It never was between you and them anyway."
A nice f.u. from Mother Teresa to the men in Rome. Love it!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
People are paranoid about the 99% of our teachings that are not paranoid. Anyone is free to walk unannounced into a Mormon Church any Sunday and see for himself how "secretive" the Church is. Non-LDS men may even attend "Priesthood Meeting." This whole secrecy thing is highly exaggerated.
Oh, boy. The non-LDS men get to attend a "priesthood meeting". Are they allowed to go home and tell their wives what they learned? (You had to know that was coming, lol)

Like it or not the LDS church is seen as very secretive. And your answer is one illustration. The men "may" attend a meeting. Every church I know anyone and everyone is welcome. Prayer meetings? Bible study? Walk right in to a non-Mormon gathering and someone will hand them a Bible and say "welcome". A mass at St. Peter's in the Vatican is open to one and all. Mercy, they even let the Protestants in.

The LDS build temples, give public tours for a couple of days then shut the doors. (And tell everyone to go to a Mormon church as the substitute.) A Catholic parent whose daughter converts and is married in that temple is not allowed to attend that ceremony. (Yes, we know they can get married at city hall. Big whoop. Mom and Dad aren't allowed in the temple because they aren't the right religion.)

THAT's what people see. I think the LDS would be well served to realize that.

They do that and threads about people being afraid of Mormonism wouldn't be necessary. (I don't think people are, BTW. Most people have a number of thoughts about the LDS church. My guess is "scary" is at the bottom of the list.)

Old 10-22-2012, 09:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, boy. The non-LDS men get to attend a "priesthood meeting". Are they allowed to go home and tell their wives what they learned? (You had to know that was coming, lol)

Like it or not the LDS church is seen as very secretive. And your answer is one illustration. The men "may" attend a meeting. Every church I know anyone and everyone is welcome. A mass at St. Peter's in the Vatican is open to one and all. Mercy, they even let the Protestants in.

The LDS build temples, give public tours for a couple of days then shut the doors. (And tell everyone to go to a Mormon church as the substitute.) A Catholic parent whose daughter converts and is married in that temple is not allowed to attend that ceremony. (Yes, we know they can get married at city hall. Big whoop. Mom and Dad aren't allowed in the temple because they aren't the right religion.)

They do that and threads about people being afraid of Mormonism wouldn't be necessary. (I don't think people are, BTW. Most people have a number of thoughts about the LDS church. My guess is "scary" is at the bottom of the list.)
And if your mormon, and you commit a sin that they don't like, then they ban you from the church for a time period as well.

I really think if this continues with this though, we need to have it moved to the religious section though.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Actually, no. I was completely blind-sided by it. I mistakenly felt that you and I were making some headway towards some understanding and tolerance. I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Like it or not the LDS church is seen as very secretive. And your answer is one illustration. The men "may" attend a meeting. Every church I know anyone and everyone is welcome. Prayer meetings? Bible study? Walk right in to a non-Mormon gathering and someone will hand them a Bible and say "welcome". A mass at St. Peter's in the Vatican is open to one and all. Mercy, they even let the Protestants in.
The point I was making, Dew, was that it is only the temple that has restricted access. 99% of what goes on within the Mormon religion is open to the public. Some people might assume that non-LDS men would not be welcome to attend "Priesthood meeting," that it might be "secret." I was merely pointing out that this is not the case.

Quote:

Seriously, I'm sorry you feel the way you do. There's obviously nothing I can say to make you detest my religion any less, so I might as well not even try any more. And I really have tried. I don't believe I've done anything except try to explain the LDS position. That's pretty much all I can do and I've evidently done a pretty lousy job of it.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And if your mormon, and you commit a sin that they don't like, then they ban you from the church for a time period as well.
No they don't. You go right ahead and imply that I either don't know my own religion, but what you said is simply incorrect. A person may be denied entrance to the temple for a very serious sin, but no one is ever told they can't go to church. Ever.

Quote:
I really think if this continues with this though, we need to have it moved to the religious section though.
That won't be necessary. I've said all I intend to say on this thread. At any rate, the moderators of the religion forum (a liberal Christian and an atheist) would have shut this thread down a long time ago. Pretty much everything is fair game on this forum, though, so you guys go ahead and proceed without my sharing the Mormon perspective. You never really wanted it anyway. Besides, it's really only fun to bash someone's beliefs if you can get a rise out of him, right?

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-22-2012 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies