Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Money makes the world go round.....

Do you work? Do you get paid? How much? Is that too much? Have you ever been offered a raise and turned it down? If not, then you're 'greedy'.
Yes it does, but what does money represent?

I work. I get paid. I get paid for what I sell (I have small businesses). Yes, I've been offered a raise and turned it down.

The definition of greed.

Intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
And while I'm on my soapbox....how about this guitar playing joker from Rage Against the Machine? This guy is protesting corporate greed? How big is his bank account? How much were tickets to come see his concerts? What a hypocrite and a fraud!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Owning something that makes a profit is smart. Trying to own everything is greed. There is a difference. The small business generally works in an open market free of distortion. The latter uses size and power to eliminate the market and replace it with a monopoly or some price distorting variant. I support market based business and am forced by necessity to deal with the monopolists at their price.

Actually we need both the original TEA party and The OWS protesters back. The original TP was concerned with very high taxes on working people but was taken over by the RW (Koch Bros et al) and turned into another political lobbying and propaganda sham of its former self. We need the OWS guys back because Wall Street is still a den of lying thieves stealing America’s savings for profit and power.

We really do need to shift the tax burden onto the top 10% and regulate the thieves and monopolists out of business and Wall Street.
Great post.

I've supported the Tea Party in the past (mainly for their right to protest and to see if they had any solutions) but was turned away when I heard of all the horror stories about their motives.

Honestly, I believe some of the same tactics used against Occupy, were used against the TP. Finding fringe members, finding dirt on them, and making them out to represent the entire movement.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
And while I'm on my soapbox....how about this guitar playing joker from Rage Against the Machine? This guy is protesting corporate greed? How big is his bank account? How much were tickets to come see his concerts? What a hypocrite and a fraud!
You obviously have no idea what your talking about. Can you separate greed from earning an honest living?

And guitar playing joker? How about the arguably the greatest band of their time?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The RAM guy seems to be providing a product people want to buy and is making a lot of money doing so in a very crowded marketplace. What is wrong with that? is he trying to take over the entertainment industry and create a monopoly on concerts?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:40 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,369,999 times
Quote:
"corporate greed" is what allowed you to send that message on your computer. It's what allows you to text your friends on your iPhone. It's what makes the garbage bags that pick up after these bums after one of their camps.

As Mr. Gecko would say..."Greed is good...Greed works"
Wrong. You're confusing motivation to do something useful, with the lust for more money. BIG difference.

Of course, if Americans can't make that distinction, that's a whole nother issue...

Peace,
brian

Old 10-25-2012, 07:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
"

As Mr. Gecko would say..."Greed is good...Greed works"

Guess you would believe that, as long as it wasn't your home foreclosed on, or your pension fund that went broke because of the reckless actions of bankers.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:45 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Yes it does, but what does money represent?

I work. I get paid. I get paid for what I sell (I have small businesses). Yes, I've been offered a raise and turned it down.

The definition of greed.

Intense and selfish desire for something, esp. wealth, power, or food.
Why do you accept money for what you sell? Do you sell at cost or do you make a 'profit'? Why do you accept the profit? Is it so you can improve your living situation?
See, you're greedy to!

Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,775 times
While it is obvious to anybody with half a brain that Wallstreet is a corrupt institution that will sell America out to the highest bidder, I feel somewhat sorry for those young people involved in those protest. Their names will be added to FBI list and it will close many doors to them. That is why they were arrested, so they could be fingerprinted and added to the FBI files.

I am going to decide who to vote for today and one factor influencing my decision is the realization that republicans seem ok with the corrupt nature of wallstreet.

You can write a post that says hey life isn't fair and greed is good. That's insane. OF course government and business should behave in an ethical manner. Neither do. It's hardly even a partisan thing.

I have no idea why some of you think that not only is this corruption ok, but that it is somehow ultimately good.

You sound like the Capulets, unsure of the logic behind your strife but fervent to defend it. Thank there are still some good people like me in this world who believe in truth justice and the American way. Half the people on this board are fine with giving it all to China. I suppose in a Machevellian sort of way it makes sense.

I'm not for wallstreet though, I'm for the USA.

This do anything to make a buck thing is absurd. There is a reason by the way that no candidate has ever said something so stupid. Half you people don't even have jobs. there is no way you're going to convince me that you are a productive member of society who has also posts here nearly constantly. You people are hypocrites. Stop mooching off the government so you can spout your hateful rhetoric on an online forum. I can't believe my tax dollars go to fund some of you losers and your idiotic ideas. Sit around on your rear ends all day complaining about things. Yeah I'm talking to you. I don't care what party you belong to either.

Go get a job people, stop blaming the government, stop blaming wallstreet, stop blaming Bush, stop blaming Obama, get a job you lazy slugs.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:47 AM

^^ Speaking of...

Has anyone heard of the recent Occupy efforts to keep homeowners in their homes? They've went head to head legally and publicly for many homeowners who are facing eviction. Some owners are being evicted to to health setbacks. Others due to questionable practices by the lenders.

I'm not sure if their tactics have been successful or not, but it is something positive that they are trying to do for the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies