Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the United States convert to the Metric system?
Yes, completely Metric units only. 85 43.81%
Include both Metric & English units everywhere. 33 17.01%
No, leave it the way it is now (English/Imperial units) 76 39.18%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:07 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,553,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Units on road signs are among the major step. The UK should switch to metric completely, including road signs.
Why do you care if the UK and other countries drive on the left? What has that got to do with you? Why should we change? We're quite happy with driving on the left. You want us to switch all our cars to left hand drive? Do you know what it would cost to change all this over?

This topic is about the US and metric. This has nothing at all to do with metric or the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,589,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Why do you care if the UK and other countries drive on the left? What has that got to do with you? Why should we change? We're quite happy with driving on the left. You want us to switch all our cars to left hand drive? Do you know what it would cost to change all this over?

This topic is about the US and metric. This has nothing at all to do with metric or the US.
More than 70% of the world drivers on the right. Driving on the left is very silly, dangerous, confusing, and basically ridiculous. That's one of the reason I did not want to drive in the UK, and live there.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:36 PM

717 posts, read 649,085 times
Only for you.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM

1,520 posts, read 1,876,832 times
Quote:
Metrication in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Currently the U.S. is the only country in the world (other than Burma & Liberia) that have not yet converted to the Metric (International System of Units) other than for scientific use. It is also the only nation using degrees Fahrenheit on weather forecast and for daily use. Both Canada and Australia converted to the metric system completely in the 1970s.

The U.S. do however include metric units along with English/Imperial system on products and speedometers, and use only metric units on medication, nutrition facts, science and few other things such as some bottled soda.

Weather forecast (temperature), road signs, weight & measure, and daily speech is all in English/Imperial system still in the U.S.

Do you believe it is time for the U.S. government to pass a law converting to the Metric system?

(PS! There are some very old threads regards to this, but since now it is time for election, and years have passed by, maybe people changed their mind (?) - Also this is with poll included)
We tried that once and Americans were not bright enough to grasp the idea of counting in tens and that 0 degrees should actually be based on something meanningful. And I doubt the country is any smarter since the 70s. As for things like soda and medicine, it is only made Metric because you cannot sell it in a foreign country if it is not Metric. You cannot register an American car in Canada without a Metric speedometer. You cannot sell anything in the Eurozone that is not metric. So some American companies just make everything in Metric rather than mess with 2 standards.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:52 PM

717 posts, read 649,085 times
Quote:
Your population was under 3 million when you changed. How many cars needed to be changed to LHD? The UK has about 66 million population. A much bigger challenge.
No, we still drive on the left. I was talking about the metric system.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post
No, we still drive on the left. I was talking about the metric system.
Doh! Nunnor goes on and on about driving on the left so thought thats what you meant.

Old 11-26-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
More than 70% of the world drivers on the right. Driving on the left is very silly, dangerous, confusing, and basically ridiculous. That's one of the reason I did not want to drive in the UK, and live there.
You can't actually believe this ludicrous post? Or can you? Or are you simply a troll? Or did you take too much LSD or angel dust?

The UK would not let you live here.

I drove for 30 years in the US but it took me less than a month to get comfortable driving in the UK.

You sound a bit like an American woman I know who when told that we drive on the left here asked 'don't they all run into each other?'

Old 11-27-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
You can't actually believe this ludicrous post? Or can you? Or are you simply a troll? Or did you take too much LSD or angel dust?

The UK would not let you live here.

I drove for 30 years in the US but it took me less than a month to get comfortable driving in the UK.

You sound a bit like an American woman I know who when told that we drive on the left here asked 'don't they all run into each other?'
Driving on the left sucks, and looks silly. End of story

Old 11-28-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Driving on the left sucks, and looks silly. End of story
It's not going to be changed. Are you going to lose sleep over this fact?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
It's not going to be changed. Are you going to lose sleep over this fact?
Well I don't care, let them be unique. Although I feel bad for them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies