Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:06 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Isn't this coverage over the top?

Last year our daughter had a Tornado at her school in GA and in the area people lost their live...no coverage on National tv.

Hurricanes in Florida are not shown like this.

The over the top coverage makes it looks like this is bigger than Katrina!

Is the media doing this to avoid the real news and the government bad handling of Bengazi?

I feel for the people in all these areas and I have friends in Ohio who also stated that hardly anything is said about how it is over there and about another friend in Maryland that has been out of power for a day now...

Old 10-30-2012, 07:16 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
This storm is the first of it's size, which makes it different. The power is out from deep in the south to deep in the north. I am in the mtns of NH and the power is out here. I got 3 inches of rain and some wind. On Mt Washington last night they recorded winds at 136 MPH.

Places in the south as i hear it for snow measured in feet. I hear it that places in NJ got better than 9 feet of water. The storm surge trumps Katrina alone, and the power outages are massive compared to Katrina.

Katrina wiped out nolrans and trashed the locals coast line in Texas and Alabama. In comparison Katrina was small.

AND this storm isn't done yet.......

Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

Last year our daughter had a Tornado at her school in GA and in the area people lost their live...no coverage on National tv.

Is the media doing this to avoid the real news and the government bad handling of Bengazi?

I feel for the people in all these areas and I have friends in Ohio who also stated that hardly anything is said about how it is over there and about another friend in Maryland that has been out of power for a day now...
If you lived in FL you would know this is not true.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I lived in Florida during the Hurricanes and locally it was shown constantly but not like it is on National tv.

Also parts of the power was turned off in advance to avoid damages in NY which is smart.

I'm not a heartless person stating that it is all fine but I believe that it is a little over the top.

Also after speaking with many people over here who have lived most of their lives in NY and their reaction is that many tunnels are always flooding with water with more than average rain and they believe this coverage is over the top...

Perhaps 25% less would still be enough. The elections are very important right now and the cover up about what really happened in Bengazi is also very important aside from this coverage.

Everything that is "too much" will turn people off.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Just reported the storm has caused 16 deaths.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:31 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,550,211 times
Quote:

Well, it is bigger then Katrina, it's the largest storm on record, effecting a 1000+ mile swath of the country and recording record high sea swells and record low barometric pressures.

Just because it isn't a big deal in your neighborhood, doesn't mean it's being "overblown."

NYC will always get major coverage because the population density is so high, and it is a center for finance, commerce, gov't, the arts, and more.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
I lived in Florida during the Hurricanes and locally it was shown constantly but not like it is on National tv.

Also parts of the power was turned off in advance to avoid damages in NY which is smart.

I'm not a heartless person stating that it is all fine but I believe that it is a little over the top.

Also after speaking with many people over here who have lived most of their lives in NY and their reaction is that many tunnels are always flooding with water with more than average rain and they believe this coverage is over the top...

Perhaps 25% less would still be enough. The elections are very important right now and the cover up about what really happened in Bengazi is also very important aside from this coverage.

Everything that is "too much" will turn people off.
I guess this happens daily in New York

New York Times

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority said early on Tuesday that the storm was the worst disaster in the history of the New York City subway system.
“The New York City subway system is 108 years old, but it has never faced a disaster as devastating as what we experienced last night,” said Joseph J. Lhota, the authority’s chairman, in a statement. “All of us at the M.T.A. are committed to restoring the system as quickly as we can to help bring New York back to normal.”

Old 10-30-2012, 07:41 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:

No, it isn't over the top. And it is bigger than Katrina with millions of people effected by this very wide spread hurricane and it's aftermath. It's even dropping deep snow in TN which is not the norm for hurricanes of any size. Just having the stock market down for as long as it will be down will effect the economy in a negative way all over the world. Quit trying to politicize this disaster for whatever your reasons are for doing so. There is no media or government conspiracy involved.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 10-30-2012 at 08:01 AM..

Old 10-30-2012, 07:57 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
This is probably the most destructive storm in American history next to Galveston in 1900.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:20 AM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Sandy is a Cat 1 storm with ~70 mph winds. Katrina was a Cat 4-Cat 5, with winds of 175mph in the Gulf, and still over 125mph when they hit land. There is no comparison....Katrina was a freekin' disaster, Sandy, a good rainstorm.

What will be interesting is the media response. After Katrina, roads were blocked by downed trees, bridges washed out and areas flooded for hundreds of miles, hampering access of FEMA and other rescuers. This one, the damage looks to be much more localized to lowlying areas, with far fewer responding assets destroyed. Response should be much simpler.

The big question...will Bloomberg play a Ray Naegen, getting on TV and whining about the government's response...when he IS the government at the local level. Naegen singularly failed to do his job...Bloomberg, much as I can't stand the man, seems like a much more capable leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies