Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:10 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times

Advertisements

This question is geared towards the liberal folk on this page:

Are you happy with the Obama presidency?

I'm not looking for some "frothing at the mouth" endorsement of Obama. I already know that if you answer the question in the affirmative you support the President. What I am curious about is if you guys are really pleased with how his first term has panned out? Are you happy with the stimiulus package, obamacare, foreign affairs, the state of the country, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:14 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Yes.

Quote:
Are you happy with the stimiulus package, obamacare, foreign affairs, the state of the country, etc?
-The stimulus package could have been better, at least with less on tax cuts.
-As with Obamacare, I wish it were more Obamacare and less Romneycare. Would have preferred Public Option to Penalties. Would have preferred the beginning of Medicare for All instead of what we have. BUT, it addressed MANY necessities, and is the first step towards many that we will need.
-Foreign affairs has been as good as I could expect in a country that had already engaged in two major wars, and situations handled as pragmatically as I see practical.
-As far as state of the nation is concerned, with as many people there have been, trying to discourage growth and confidence for political reasons, I couldn't complain about the speed of recovery but am happy to see that we've not counted a reversal in job growth, but have seen private sector grow. Let us not forget:
Between January 2001 and January 2010 (ten years), net change in private sector jobs: -4.8 million
It has been +4.7 million since.

Last edited by EinsteinsGhost; 10-30-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post

I'm not looking for some "frothing at the mouth" endorsement of Obama. I already know that if you answer the question in the affirmative you support the President. What I am curious about is if you guys are really pleased with how his first term has panned out? Are you happy with the stimiulus package, obamacare, foreign affairs, the state of the country, etc?

Most progressives within the Democratic party haven't matured in the same way libertarians have in the Republican Party to call out members of their own party. Don't expect an honest answer.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Pretty much and when compared with the alternatives I would have to say that I am wildly ecstatic. But let me point out that there hasn't been a politician born that I would consider an uncritical success.

As for your specific questions.

Stimulus, inadequate.

Obamacare, disappointed that there is no single payor provision.

Foreign affairs, wish he had listened to Biden instead of conservatives and Patreaus.

State of the Country, it is what it is, which is a hell of a lot better than it was when he was sworn into office.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Yes.
I suppose I should've been a little more clear.

If yes...then why?

If no...then why?

Old 10-30-2012, 03:19 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I hate to answer this because I don't consider myself a Progressive. I have voted Republican most of my life (up until 2008). I'm not really sure what I am now. Both parties have changed so much. Anyhow....

1. Stimulus package: at first I was wary of it. Now after time has passed and I've looked at data regarding the package, I feel that it didn't go far enough. More needed to be done and maybe in different areas.

2. Obamacare: I feel it didn't go far enough. I'm not totally happy with it but keeping the status quo was no longer a smart idea. I think it's a start. Revamping our health care structure is going to be a very long process. I am happy that we at least took the plunge.

3. Foreign affairs: I am not happy at all with the Middle East and the continued wars. I don't have the "answer" but I'm not sure a different president would have made it better. I just don't know. Romney does not inspire me at all in this area.

4. State of the country: Well, I would have loved an overnight recovery but I knew, even before Obama won the presidency in 2008, that this was going to be a SLOG no matter who became president. I do believe that if McCain had one, even if he had the same ideas, things would have progressed better because the GOP would not have obstructed so much. They would have not tied things up so much. Cognress may have behaved better. I truly believe that our current Congress has impeded economic growth. Even if they had all worked together, I think it would have been a slow recovery. But I think their gridlock plus the partisanship has really hurt the country and the recovery.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Most progressives within the Democratic party haven't matured in the same way libertarians have in the Republican Party to call out members of their own party. Don't expect an honest answer.
This is what I'm looking for.

I don't feel like I see a lot of honesty in terms of self-critique from the left. Most Republicans will tell you of what they are unhappy with within the GOP. I disliked Bush's foreign policy, I am not a huge fan of Mitt, I don't like the overwhelming appeal to religion in the GOP, and I don't like the quasi-anarchist stances of the tea-party. However, I still consider myself to be a devout republican.

What about the Obama adminstration do liberals dislike?

And again...I'm not looking for a hyper-politicized argument. I don't plan on trying to retort any answers on here. There are TONS of threads for that. I just want to know what the left dislikes about the left.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Not really. He's too damn conservative for me, and i didn't think i was voting for a Republican.

That said, i give him a B-.

I'll vote for the Republican in the race if you can find a way to dig up Teddy Roosevelt and breathe life into him.

Or Romney if he promises promises to end the Drug War, promises that he won't attack Iran in any way or assist in an attack on Iran. Will pull U.S. troops out of all foreign bases, and will immediately put tariffs on all foreign products....i'll vote for him.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
I suppose I should've been a little more clear.

If yes...then why?

If no...then why?
Yes, you should be more clear instead of using the expected babble of a right winger. Now, go back and re-read. I was editing my post to add more. But then, you were looking for that usual right wing herd mentality hence...

Quote:
This is what I'm looking for.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:

In my opinion, he hasn't been very liberal so not thrilled, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies