Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

America's 1st Freedom

Here's an interesting "what if" scenario by law professor/writer Davel Kopel. What if Obama wins re-election, and he & Eric Holder decide to finally move on their deeply held convictions regarding guns and "gun violence." I urge any gun owner thinking about voting for Pres. Obama to read this first. It's a great read, and brilliantly written IMO.

Of course pro-gun Democrats (they're increasingly common) will protest that Obama didn't do much of anything to ban any guns during his first term. The problem with that line: during his first term there was a giant (political) sword of Damocles overhead. Move on gun control, and it could cost him a second term. In his second term, that sword will be gone.

Kopel draws a roadmap of all that a Pres. could do, even with zero co-operation from Congress. He details how, for example, a President could ban all 12-gauge shotguns by reclassifying them as a "destructive device" under the National Fireams Act (NFA) of 1934. This provision has been used before, when Treas. Sec. Lloyd Bentsen effectively banned several shotgun models in 1994, with the stroke of a pen. No legislation, no debate. Almost 20 years later, they remain effectively banned for civilian ownership. There are several other powerful tools in the toolbox that are available to Obama, and Kopel runs through them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 04:53 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
All my guns are at the bottom of Lake Mead. Tragically, I lost them in a boating accident. Honest.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 PM

24,003 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Can you please draw this old woman a picture of how that would work? Just as a practical matter, logistically.

Most places have speed limits but that does not stop speeders. Murder is against the law but we still have murders.

Tell me please how a POTUS can sign a paper to get my gun. If the gun is manufactured anywhere in the world what's to stop me from getting one if I want it?

Why would the NRA permit Lloyd Bentsen to ban shotguns?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
The 2nd amendment would be put into full use, if that ever happened.

Many people are now capable and set up to build their own weapons and ammunition.

Bridgeport Mill & 5 axis mill, already producing.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Can you please draw this old woman a picture of how that would work? Just as a practical matter, logistically.

Most places have speed limits but that does not stop speeders. Murder is against the law but we still have murders.

Tell me please how a POTUS can sign a paper to get my gun. If the gun is manufactured anywhere in the world what's to stop me from getting one if I want it?

Why would the NRA permit Lloyd Bentsen to ban shotguns?

Needless to say, when guns are outlawed, outlaws will still have them. I thought that goes without saying. How will they get your gun? Read the piece by David Kopel. When you bought your gun you likely filled out a 4473 form, which is available to the BATF. If your gun is subsequently declared illegal, the BATF will be able to find out about it. Then they knock on your door, and ask you where your gun is. Either a) you turn it in; b) you identify whom you sold it to and the BATF goes after them; c) you are prosecuted.

Why did the NRA permit Lloyd Bentsen to ban shotguns? The NRA is just a private organization with no official legislative or executive powers. Lloyd Bentsen was Treas. Sec'y, so he did and could impose the regulation. The NRA had zero say.

He banned 3 specific models of shotguns, it would appear, based solely on ammunition capacity. Since then, Keltec and other gun makers have come out with models that have even more capacity than the models that were banned. It kind of shows the inanity of the banners, but also that there's a logical case to be made for future, more sweeping bans.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM

24,003 posts, read 15,096,054 times
I filled out no papers for anybody.

I'm not suggesting that the NRA would go up against a reasonable law. But serious doubt remains. If they thought the government was over reaching all hell would have broken lose.

I met Lloyd Bentsen a time or two and enjoyed his company. He was born and bred a Texan. I don't think he would have outlawed any ammunition or weapon without the agreement of the Rangers, at the very least.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I filled out no papers for anybody.

I'm not suggesting that the NRA would go up against a reasonable law. But serious doubt remains. If they thought the government was over reaching all hell would have broken lose.

I met Lloyd Bentsen a time or two and enjoyed his company. He was born and bred a Texan. I don't think he would have outlawed any ammunition or weapon without the agreement of the Rangers, at the very least.
If you have a gun that is 'off-paper' (no 4473 on file) then obviously they can't come after you, but for most guns, that is not the case.

Doubt all you want, but it did in fact happen.

Government Cracks Down on 3 Types of Rapid-Fire Shotguns - Los Angeles Times

These were just 12 gauge shotguns that fired the same shell as a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, but they were banned nonetheless. It was a long time ago. I'm sure the NRA opposed it. But a) the NRA was not as strong back then; b) the NRA has to pick its battles, and even with this ban there were plenty of equivalent shotguns still legal and available, so who really cares.

I'm sure Lloyd Bentsen (RIP) was a personable guy as you say, but he did do this.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
This is nothing more then another right wing tin foil conspiracy of "Ahhh! He's gunna take yer gunnnnnzzzz!!! He didn't take them the first time, but he sure will if he gets elected again!"

Let's look at the facts:

Willard lead the charge as governor when the federal assault weapons ban expired to extend them in his state permanently.

Quadrupled the fees for gun owners

Stated during his last failed presidential campaign, when he was slammed for being so anti-2nd amendment, he responded with "We do have strict gun laws in Massachusetts, I support them."

Willard also was so anti-2nd amendment the NRA refused to endorse him.

Obama? Hasn't done a single thing to infringe on freedom.

If 2nd amendment rights are someone's main concern, they would be an idiot to vote for Willard.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Both candidates pose a threat to the second

Old 10-31-2012, 08:11 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Both candidates pose a threat to the second
Both sides of Willard, you are correct
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies