Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 834,831 times

Advertisements

I cannot believe the number of people that think getting SSI or SSDI is an easy path out of unemployment. I've been denied several times for SSI in the past 2 1/2 years, finally resulting in an administrative judge denying my claims. I am debating seeking an appeal with a federal judge at this point, outside Social Security's administration. This will take another year. The process is long, hard, and often their standards of what jobs are available are unrealistic. I've really resigned myself to have "failed" in the eyes of most of the masses of this country and I feel the need to cut myself off emotionally from "ordinary life" except for a few friends.. They will never understand how unfair the system is as long as people are blinded by ideological propaganda that portrays SSI and SSDI as just another "welfare" program full of "dead beats".

I was diagnosed with Asperger's, an autism spectrum disorder, 3 years ago, and I've had lifelong battles with depresion. I now have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, and I've been hospitalized 3 times in the past 3 years for psychiatric reasons. But I was still denied. I expected a fair hearing from Judge Ann Adzell but her report is full of subtle libel against my family and erroneous interpretations of my doctors' and therapists' medical reports stemming either from ignorance or malice. The whole thing makes me sick. I'm 36, never worked a day for pay in my adult life due to disability, and I'll have to wait another year at least to get the money I wanted to be able to live on my own and help out my girlfriend and/or my family to support me, and to pay for my medical debts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:45 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,005,513 times
I have SSDI as result of being on kidney dialysis and having congestive heart failure and being legally blind ( sufficent to not have a driver's license) My private disability insurer prorates my benefit assuming I get SSDI. SSI was never an issue because you don't qualify if you have more than 3000 dollars in assets. I had more than that in my 15 year old car!

Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,163,911 times
Not being rude, but I swear I have read this post (or something very similar) here before....

Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,706,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Not being rude, but I swear I have read this post (or something very similar) here before....
Yep. Same post, different user ID.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,285,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I cannot believe the number of people that think getting SSI or SSDI is an easy path out of unemployment. I've been denied several times for SSI in the past 2 1/2 years, finally resulting in an administrative judge denying my claims. I am debating seeking an appeal with a federal judge at this point, outside Social Security's administration. This will take another year. The process is long, hard, and often their standards of what jobs are available are unrealistic. I've really resigned myself to have "failed" in the eyes of most of the masses of this country and I feel the need to cut myself off emotionally from "ordinary life" except for a few friends.. They will never understand how unfair the system is as long as people are blinded by ideological propaganda that portrays SSI and SSDI as just another "welfare" program full of "dead beats".

I was diagnosed with Asperger's, an autism spectrum disorder, 3 years ago, and I've had lifelong battles with depresion. I now have a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, and I've been hospitalized 3 times in the past 3 years for psychiatric reasons. But I was still denied. I expected a fair hearing from Judge Ann Adzell but her report is full of subtle libel against my family and erroneous interpretations of my doctors' and therapists' medical reports stemming either from ignorance or malice. The whole thing makes me sick. I'm 36, never worked a day for pay in my adult life due to disability, and I'll have to wait another year at least to get the money I wanted to be able to live on my own and help out my girlfriend and/or my family to support me, and to pay for my medical debts.
And? What is your point? Why should my tax dollar go to pay for you? By your own admission, you haven't paid a dime into a system you are complaining about and want money from. How is your "disability" MY financial problem?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:16 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,513,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
And? What is your point? Why should my tax dollar go to pay for you? By your own admission, you haven't paid a dime into a system you are complaining about and want money from. How is your "disability" MY financial problem?
Because there but for the grace of God go you. That should be enough.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,439,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post

You write pretty well for a disabled guy. Learn to write some code and go into web design. I hear you Aspies are supposed to be creative.

Now quit whining and get to work.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,833,752 times
Quote:
Yes, I really don't see why I as a taxpayer should have to support an able-bodied 36 year old who is obviously intelligent enough. If his girlfriend and parents are happy to support him, let them, but it gets pretty stale having to get up and go to work day after day while others think they're entitled to a free living.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,285,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Because there but for the grace of God go you. That should be enough.
God has nothing to do with this. He isn't going to work 40+ hours a week, so some leech can do just that: Leech off of society and do nothing. Then come onto an internet board and whine about how he cannot get free money, free benefits, and free entitlements, for doing NOTHING.

It IS NOT my responsibility to work so this leech can have money. Nor is it my responsibility to work, so any other leech can have money. You want money? Work for it. Can't work for it? It is YOUR families responsibility to pay your way and/or find charities which will assist you.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,424,106 times
Quote:
God has nothing to do with this. He isn't going to work 40+ hours a week, so some leech can do just that: Leech off of society and do nothing. Then come onto an internet board and whine about how he cannot get free money, free benefits, and free entitlements, for doing NOTHING.

It IS NOT my responsibility to work so this leech can have money. Nor is it my responsibility to work, so any other leech can have money. You want money? Work for it. Can't work for it? It is YOUR families responsibility to pay your way and/or find charities which will assist you.

karma is really going to be very nasty for some people. judging by the apparent love of money and thecomplete lack of empathy could be that that nasty karma is already playing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies