Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectionYear View Post
Miami Hispanics are mostly Cubans, Colombians, and Venezuelans and most of them are mostly Caucasians.
You are wrong unless they are here illegally.

You are not Cuban if you are a citizen here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The goal of AA programs is equal outcome, not equal opportunity.
All these programs do is put one group against another.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're wrong again. Being Hispanic includes the Spanish language. You aren't automatically Hispanic by being born in Mexico. You are confusing nationality with culture. Being Hispanic also means having ancestors that came from Spain. None of the Romney's had any ancestors that came from Spain.
You haven't a clue. Many Hispanics have no ancestors from Spain. A Hispanic or Latino is someone of any race whose origins are in a Latin American country. A Spaniard who emigrates to America is a European immigrant, not a Latino or Hispanic.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
. A Hispanic or Latino is someone of any race whose origins are in a Latin American country. A Spaniard who emigrates to America is a European immigrant, not a Latino or Hispanic.
Hispanic is someone in America that speaks Spanish. You wouldn't call a native born Mexican is his or her own country Hispanic.

Latino is very broad. It includes anyone that speaks the Romance language from South America & caribbean Islands such as Hati where they Speak French.

Quote:
You haven't a clue. Many Hispanics have no ancestors from Spain
& many do.

Some have ancestry from Africa & Asia.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I would just like to say as a Hispanic student, that I do not know and do not care if I get AA.

I sure as hell don't want anyone saying I go to my good college on a full scholarship because of my Hispanic family.

All I know is I applied, and got accepted. I keep a high GPA and put blood, sweat, and tears into my work. Most of my classes are mathematics related and require hours of studying a day.

A Puerto Rican woman I went to high school with was told by a caucasion girl we know that "She only got accepted at NYU because she was Puerto Rican".

AA may help us, I really don't know. I do know that the Hispanics that go to elite and 2nd/3rd tier schools are smart and hard working and have always been. Its not like they are letting C and D Hispanic students into Ivy Leagues.

I think it's more for A and B students from public high schools and inner city schools (mostly minorities) to have the same opportunity as A students from prep schools (mostly white).

If anything, its the governments way for making up for the crap public schools in this country.
Doesn't matter whether you did or didn't. But the question will always be there.
Did they get where they are on their own or did doors get opened for them because of their color ?

The corporate world is full of that. 20+ years as a female engineer in a big corporate company and I'm White. More doors were opened for me than male peers with better talents who would better fit the position. I valued my reputation among my peers for earning my way up the ladder though and turned down some sweet offers/promotions. If you plan to work there long, your rep among your peers means more than some corporate diversity chart that you helped fill out.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Hispanic is someone in America that speaks Spanish. You wouldn't call a native born Mexican is his or her own country Hispanic.
Not all Hispanics in America speak Spanish. By the time it gets to the third generation, only 5% do.

Quote:
Latino is very broad. It includes anyone that speaks the Romance language from South America & caribbean Islands such as Hati where they Speak French.
Yes, that has been a debate for a long time now.....

Quote:
& many do.

Some have ancestry from Africa & Asia.
That's right. I was responding to a post that said that all Hispanics have ancestors from Spain.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:45 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectionYear View Post
Not only don't they get affirmative action (like Whites), they are often penalized for school admissions, as in minutes XX points on their SAT or GPA if they're Asian, yet they are still a minority and being discriminated, and had been for a long time, including the railroad builders.

Why are they being penalized and punished individually? Just for the fact that they collectively and on average work hard and on average do well due to hard work?
Institutional racism...we're still not beyond it. Individual Asians are punished because as a whole, they are hard working and successful. This country has embraced punishing hard work and success.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
You haven't a clue. Many Hispanics have no ancestors from Spain. A Hispanic or Latino is someone of any race whose origins are in a Latin American country. A Spaniard who emigrates to America is a European immigrant, not a Latino or Hispanic.
Uh; Spaniards ARE "Hispanic" here in the US.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; Spaniards ARE "Hispanic" here in the US.
I guarantee you that most people who come to the US from Spain don't want to be categorized with people from Latin America. As well, most Latinos don't include Spaniards in our ranks.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
I guarantee you that most people who come to the US from Spain don't want to be categorized with people from Latin America. As well, most Latinos don't include Spaniards in our ranks.
But there's only one label and that's what they fall into , like it or not.

Blacks from Africa don't like to be associated with African-Americans but they have no choice either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies