Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Isn't this what you folks voted for the nanny state? Where are the underpants for these folks???

"What we do need right now ... is underwear. Undergarments for children and adults," Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro told "Good Day New York," a local TV program on Fox. "That's what we need. That's what we're in desperate need of."
"It's like a third world nation," he said of the destruction on the island's south shore.

Underwear, not shirts or pants, needed on Staten Island, official pleads - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Don't be alarmed though. Underpants, diapers, depends will be on the way. The word is out that the fed can print money. That's right the wealthiest state in the union is broke and they demand we print up money for em. It really does grow on trees...........

According to New York’s top public finance official, Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli, the Feds should pick up the tab for two reasons. First: The state is essentially broke. New York State and City are already tens of billions of dollars behind on their pension funds. State and local governments have no real emergency fund. Tax collections from before the storm even hit were less than hoped for. And the effects of the 2009 recession are still plaguing the state.
“The problem is the state is limited in its resource capacity. We just put out the mid-year report a week or two ago and it really showed tax revenues are down,” DiNapoli said. So the government should bail us out.
But it is the second reason that is most revealing about the perilous state of America. “I think the focus will have to be on Washington, for obvious reasons,” DiNapoli told reporters. “They have greater resources. They can print money; we can’t do that here” (emphasis added throughout).

‘They Can Print Money’ - theTrumpet.com

Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,130 times
Default That's a lot of zeros

Staten Island:
per capita income $23,905
470,000 citizens
($11,280,000,000)
102 square miles
(+/- 4600 per Sq Mi)

Old 12-23-2012, 05:20 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
Default Staten Island need underpants....Where's FEMA???

Wow, people are so helpless is just pathetic.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
It is sad that there are people out there like the OP that thinks these things just go away overnight. Just because it isn't in the news daily doesn't mean the damage has just gone away and these people are happy living in new homes. Maybe it would be best for the OP to complain less and donate more.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:26 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
I think the local governments are in collusion to cause a permanent abandonment of the area. The purpose being to rebuild the area at high values so the rich can live nearby without having the poor in the way.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:27 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Slow night in RWNJ land???

Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It is sad that there are people out there like the OP that thinks these things just go away overnight. Just because it isn't in the news daily doesn't mean the damage has just gone away and these people are happy living in new homes. Maybe it would be best for the OP to complain less and donate more.
Exactly! We went through Hurricane Charlie. I needed a new roof and got it the week before Christmas that year.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,444,638 times
Considering I live here in Staten Island op and you obviously do not I think when it comes to Staten Island I can speak better about it than you. So with me saying that this islands South/North shore got hit very hard and I mean VERY HARD. If you think that you can just wave around your magic wand and put it back to normal in only a few months than be my guess and try. Fema takes care of the money, RED CROSS/GOODWILL they take care of the food and clothing so if our useless borough president has a problem than he should be talking to Red CRoss or Goodwill. And for the record where I work they are always bringing in clothes/jackets/food and donating them to redcross/Goodwill to help the victims of sandy. IF you care so much then please come out here and help out otherwise say nothing. Thank you and happy holidays

Oh and btw Staten island routinely votes republican one of the boroughs that is ALWAYS RED wonder if they are still going to stay red now ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies