Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 06:45 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It's possible to accomplish it, but chances are it's going to hurt like hell.
I'm afraid we are well past the point of painless fixes for almost anything. I just hope we are not past the point of fixing anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 06:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I'm afraid we are well past the point of painless fixes for almost anything. I just hope we are not past the point of fixing anything.
I think we might be.

The high risk pools have been operating for a year now.
They were given enough money to last until 2014 when full Obamacare kicks in.

Several states have already run out of money to pay claims and have asked the Fed for more money.
The claims are running twice the national average for similar services. Why ? Is anyone analyzing this ?

Is anyone in Congress noticing this ? Do they even care ?
Don't you think the same will happen when the masses get to enroll in 2014 ?

Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Actually, I have said since I have been on this board that UHC is the way to go and we should not settle for anything less.

Universal Health Coverage NOW!

Obamacare was the same plan that the Republicans trotted out when Clinton was in office. It is a big benefit to insurance companies. UHC is the way to go.
We didnt like the plan whtn the Republicans trotted it out under Clinton, so we sure in hell dont like it now.

And the fact that you've been calling for UHC, doesnt answer my question.

WHY DO YOU SUPPORT SOMETHING THAT ISNT UHC?

Old 11-09-2012, 07:00 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We didnt like the plan whtn the Republicans trotted it out under Clinton, so we sure in hell dont like it now.

And the fact that you've been calling for UHC, doesnt answer my question.

WHY DO YOU SUPPORT SOMETHING THAT ISNT UHC?
When did I support it? I support Obama over Romney, that is not the same thing as supporting Obama care. Go ahead and waste your time and troll through my posts. Have fun. You may actually learn something.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:05 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
I'm in agreement. As long as private healthcare is not deliberately limited like it is in the UK (as in only the NHS can have emergency rooms, for example) I'm alright with universal healthcare. This is the one policy plank I haven't changed on when I switched over to the right. I always said that if vulnerable old people, our men and women serving in uniform, and veterans enjoy universal healthcare, our legislators, presidents, and governors; why can't we? If it's good enough for all of them, why is it so bad for us, the general public? Obamacare is a good start, but it's crappy legislation in the first place. The ONLY good thing about Obamacare are eliminating pre-existing conditions (I have one and so does everyone else in my family and many people I know), the rest is corporate welfare, plain and simple. But, I'm not gonna hold my breath. Obamacare is a huge boon to the medical-industrial complex, UHC is not.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
When did I support it? I support Obama over Romney, that is not the same thing as supporting Obama care. Go ahead and waste your time and troll through my posts. Have fun. You may actually learn something.
You support someone who passes FAILED PROGRAMS..

yes, thats the same thing..

Old 11-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You support someone who passes FAILED PROGRAMS..

yes, thats the same thing..
I'm surprised so many liberals (not sure about hotair2) support Obamacare so much. The entire program is one whole stinking pile of corporate welfare, with its only redeeming quality is removing pre-existing conditions.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:09 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm in agreement. As long as private healthcare is not deliberately limited like it is in the UK (as in only the NHS can have emergency rooms, for example) I'm alright with universal healthcare. This is the one policy plank I haven't changed on when I switched over to the right. I always said that if vulnerable old people, our men and women serving in uniform, and veterans enjoy universal healthcare, our legislators, presidents, and governors; why can't we? If it's good enough for all of them, why is it so bad for us, the general public? Obamacare is a good start, but it's crappy legislation in the first place. The ONLY good thing about Obamacare are eliminating pre-existing conditions (I have one and so does everyone else in my family and many people I know), the rest is corporate welfare, plain and simple. But, I'm not gonna hold my breath. Obamacare is a huge boon to the medical-industrial complex, UHC is not.
I hope Obama has this on his agenda. It would be great for business. If employers are not burdened by rising insurance costs they can have more money for investment and compete more internationally.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
I hope Obama has this on his agenda. It would be great for business. If employers are not burdened by rising insurance costs they can have more money for investment and compete more internationally.
Amnesty is the item for this term.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
The problem I see is that while stocks are tanking in the stock market, stocks in medical companies are booming. Obamacare was nothing more than corporate handouts disguised as an entitlement. AFAIK, there are no cost containment procedures in the law, and if there is, it probably has little teeth to it. Removing pre-existing conditions was a good thing, but everything else is essentially a blank check towards private companies. I imagine if Obama were to try to revamp Obamacare it would face extremely fierce opposition and cost Democrats the Senate. The medical-industrial complex has billions upon billions waiting to be unleashed in negative attack ads if need be. Just like the welfare class would riot if you take their benefits away, taking away this huge welfare program from for-profit hospitals and insurance companies will not go down without a huge fight
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies