Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 01:47 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times

Advertisements

Federal Spending by State | Fed Spending by Place of Performance | Small Business Federal Contracts in FY09

My state (Maryland) seems to suck down a lot of cash along with DC, luckily we aren't considered one entitiy or we could be sucking down close to $48 billion from the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 01:50 PM

45,359 posts, read 60,546,019 times
But, but, but Maryland and DC are liberal places. Aren't those the ones that some posters claim, incessantly, get screwed over?

I bring up the same point on those threads and no one ever answers me.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
I'm wondering how we spend 172 million in Antartica.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:55 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But, but, but Maryland and DC are liberal places. Aren't those the ones that some posters claim, incessantly, get screwed over?

I bring up the same point on those threads and no one ever answers me.
I've never heard anybody say Maryland or DC gets screwed over. People in DC want statehood so they can have real vote in Congress and not a Shadow Senator.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Federal Spending by State | Fed Spending by Place of Performance | Small Business Federal Contracts in FY09

My state (Maryland) seems to suck down a lot of cash along with DC, luckily we aren't considered one entitiy or we could be sucking down close to $48 billion from the federal government.
NOT PER CAPITA being the operative phrase, rendering your entire point utterly meaningless.

It's like pointing to the fact that there are more murders in Texas than in Mogadishu, then concluding that Mogadishu is safer.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:01 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:

Federal Contracts - It's Companies SELLING products & services (including contract employees) to the Federal Government.......

Maryland is fifth in total Defense Department expenditures ($17.3 billion)

Last edited by plannine; 11-11-2012 at 02:11 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 02:03 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,121 times
Well, it's not federal spending by state - it's the total federal spending for federal contractors by state (i.e., "Total dollars are defined as the total dollar amount of federal contracts awarded by place of performance"). And it makes sense that Virginia, Maryland, and DC are high on the list - many, many companies are located in the DC metropolitan area specifically because DC is the seat of the federal government. California and Texas are also high on the list, and I'm assuming that's because of the size of each, and the number of military bases that would have civilian contractors working there.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I've never heard anybody say Maryland or DC gets screwed over. People in DC want statehood so they can have real vote in Congress and not a Shadow Senator.
Do I have to direct you to the countless threads, some of which you have participated in, that claim that all Red states do nothing but suck money out of the Feds (without looking at the why) and all Bluestates are net losers in the equation (again without looking at the why).

I haven't looked lately, but MD in in FY 2006 received $1.35 for every $1.00 collected in Federal Income Tax and other Federal fees/taxes. VA was similar.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
NOT PER CAPITA being the operative phrase, rendering your entire point utterly meaningless.

It's like pointing to the fact that there are more murders in Texas than in Mogadishu, then concluding that Mogadishu is safer.
Maryland ranks in the top 5 for per caita as well. In fact it's number three in per capita:

States That Get The Most Federal Money - 24/7 Wall St.

I wasn't trying to make a argument, I'm a liberal but I'm not going to be bias and continue saying we receive limited benefits from the government. We receive a lot as well and that's why I posted that link for. I understand why CA, Texas, VA, etc need as much as they do, Maryland is a little more debatable though rather it needs how much it gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I've never heard that we are being screwed over as well. Maryland receives excellent benefits for being as close as it is to DC, rather its federal dollars or high income, or some of the wealthiest county in America. In fact we are the wealthiest state in America because of DC.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Maryland ranks in the top 5 for per caita as well. In fact it's number three in per capita:

States That Get The Most Federal Money - 24/7 Wall St.

I wasn't trying to make a argument, I'm a liberal but I'm not going to be bias and continue saying we receive limited benefits from the government. We receive a lot as well and that's why I posted that link for. I understand why CA, Texas, VA, etc need as much as they do, Maryland is a little more debatable though rather it needs how much it gets.
A couple of reasons, one would be Steny Hoyer (D-MD, 5th District). The other reason, or reasons, is that MD has a bunch of Federal installations tucked away here and there. There's NAS PAX, Aberdeen Proving Grounds, the weapons testing center at Indian Head, the Naval Research Lab in Chesapeake Beach. The Navy also berths a couple boats there. The Coast Guard coverage of the Chesapeake. Joint Base Andrews and the Census Bureau. Those are just the ones I can think of when I'm not really paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies