Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Idk, I'd be interested in conversing but I've learnt not to waste my time with people who seemingly aren't interested in anything other than mocking you thus giving themselves an intellectual boost of sorts. As it stands, that's my characterization of you.

You see, I've actually learnt with these boards.

What do you want from me?

You already know my position. I have nothing else to offer, excepts maybe an explaination, though I've covered that as well.

Just putting my thoughts out there...
You open with a series of wild arguments and arrogant posts with gems like "I could probably run circles around you if we're talking logic...I mean, I've more or less devoted my life to understanding what others percieve as logical".

Then, when your position is scrutinized even a bit, everything you says falls apart, to the point where you then say "It's not like I know I'm right...conversely, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. But, I'll be defending this position until I understand what exactly is wrong with it."

Don't get upset when your fraudulent positions are mocked. If you can't handle it, keep them to yourself. In any case, I'll ignore your posting from here on out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
This is the question, isn't it?

I don't know...I used to.

There isn't an argument that explains the hypocricy. Not that I can tell, anyway.

I'll just assume our laws are inherently hypocritical (though that isn't news) and continue living my life.

I was just pointing out another instance of it.

(But to answer the question more directly, it's understood that laws will always be general statements...one of the first things you learn while studying the law).
Huh?

I asked you to define what the "same general argument" is as it applies to your original premise. You do have one, don't you?

Old 11-11-2012, 08:49 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Huh?

I asked you to define what the "same general argument" is as it applies to your original premise. You do have one, don't you?
I can't do this anymore.

I'll leave it be.

Sort yourselves out.

Hopefully someone will come along that explains all this better than I seem to be able to.

I wish I was born like 5 generations after this one, that's for sure.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I never know what people are talking about in these "legalize drugs" threads. Is it the end user you have issues with, and if so then why? What is the end game of keeping things illegal...we put the end users in jail? So to save them from themselves (because drugs are bad) we imprison them? It never makes sense.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Hell, even the Native Americans smoked weed, aka the peace pipe.
Ummmm. I think you are confusing marijuana with tobacco. Cannabis was introduced from Europe. Plenty of Native Americans, as well Americans of all backgrounds, smoke marijuana today, but traditionally, the peace pipe was stuffed with the most exalted plant, tobacco.

No point in confusing this issue with misinformation.

As to those who claim cannabis is more socially destructive than alcohol, as someone who works in the alcohol industry, I must respectfully disagree. Alcohol is a far more destructive drug, a fact I have to consider and contend with on a daily basis for the sake of my livelihood.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Why does everything have to be equal when it isn't? Why did the media pretend that the election was close when any honest accounting of the polls showed it wasn't? .
Because only delusional liberals like yourself who are probally high on weed, claim that the election was a "landslide".

It was close - you just want to continue the narrative that it wasn't for political reasons.

Why do things needs to be equal when they aren't?

I agree.

Homosexual "marriage" is not = to marriage.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Then why follow laws? Only because the consequences outweigh the converse?
Personally, I like to think laws are grounded in morality...so following them is moral, and not is not, and therefore the consequences imposed on you by others are justifiable.
But, I guess I'm just an idealist.
Was the Fugitive Slave Act grounded in morality? I believe in a higher law than man's.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:32 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Quote:
Then why follow laws? Only because the consequences outweigh the converse?
Personally, I like to think laws are grounded in morality...so following them is moral, and not is not, and therefore the consequences imposed on you by others are justifiable.
But, I guess I'm just an idealist.
Yeah I couldn't disagree with this any more. I don't see why we're supposed to adjust our personal morality to our government's, and I certainly don't think the morality in the government reflects that of everyone. Should citizens of repressive governments elsewhere sit put and take it because the law says that they should?

Drug prohibition is a resounding failure, a complete waste of money, and a cause of drug-related social ills rather than a cure. People want to alter their state of mind and it's been going on for millenia.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Weed isn't legal and should remain that way. Alcohol and tobacco as well.

The OD argument doesn't apply as alcohol can kill you yet I can go to walmart and buy as much of it if as I want if I choose to do so. It's legal because it's socially accepted...and that's just a convention we've set up.

Like I said, why stop? Where is the legalize cocaine movement?

We're being hypocritical. That's all I'm saying.
Agreed.

[legalize]

Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,823,807 times
I would say drugs like cocaine and meth are de-facto legal. We have TONS of people smoking crack everyday and they never go to prison. I would prefer a society that rounds them up and puts them in prison for decades. If they dare smuggle in drugs in prison they should get the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies