Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 01:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So he simply lives off of the efforts of others because of his genes. I thought liberals detested that?

I don't know how he lives, and nor do I care, but obviously he has nothing to do with the business decisions of the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 01:30 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
That would include obamacare
Well, sometimes, but not always.

I think there's a distinction between companies like Stryker who are laying off employees in reaction to increased costs of doing business directly related to Obamacare and others that seem to have no clearly attributable reason for doing so and are just using Obamacare as an excuse.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:32 PM

37,149 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Yea, I don't quite get the rationale for the Medical Device Tax. Does anyone have a good article on the rationale behind that? I know it'll generate modicum of more revenue, but it doesn't seem to make much sense given the additional costs passed on to consumers and the possibility of stifling work in the medical technologies industry. Is there a good cost-benefit analysis on that one in particular?

Also, what are the possible actions to take in order to excise this tax that are the least disruptive and most likely to go through?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I don't quite get the rationale for the Medical Device Tax. Does anyone have a good article on the rationale behind that? I know it'll generate modicum of more revenue, but it doesn't seem to make much sense given the additional costs passed on to consumers and the possibility of stifling work in the medical technologies industry. Is there a good cost-benefit analysis on that one in particular?

Also, what are the possible actions to take in order to excise this tax that are the least disruptive and most likely to go through?
Sense?? That is your problem. You are expecting logic from a bill that was written by health care industry lobbyists, and that our "leaders" admitted to not even reading before they passed it?

Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,829 times
The idea behind the tax was that with so many more people now insured, the demand for medical devices would increase. Therefore, throw a 2.3% tax on sales.

Of course, the tax goes into effect before the insurance mandate..hence the layoffs.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:39 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Well, sometimes, but not always.

I think there's a distinction between companies like Stryker who are laying off employees in reaction to increased costs of doing business directly related to Obamacare and others that seem to have no clearly attributable reason for doing so and are just using Obamacare as an excuse.
So this tax is separate from obamacare and not a part of obamacare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies