Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM

753 posts, read 728,180 times

Advertisements

I wonder how much money the Church will throw down this rabbit hole before it dawns on them that the question is not Will there be same-sex marriage in all 50 states? but Can we stave this off for another 20 years or only another 5 or 10 years?

Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
I wonder how much money the Church will throw down this rabbit hole before it dawns on them that the question is not Will there be same-sex marriage in all 50 states? but Can we stave this off for another 20 years or only another 5 or 10 years?
What concern is the church and its money to those outside the church, I keep asking.

Twenty years, or 5 years or 10 or whatever. When there's an effort to destroy the fabric of society and culture, and to change the very definition of marriage, it doesn't matter how long the fight. If the church loses it, so be it [shrug]. That's the craziness of the upside down world we have. There will be another battle from the left to fight. There always is. But, that's no reason to appease, accommodate, sacrfice beliefs and values, and -- what you want most from us -- embrace and accept your values.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Nobody is doing that. The church has every right to state its position, and take a stand on it in the public square.

YOU don't have to listen. You have freedom of choice. The God you don't believe in, or don't know, gave you free will.
So the church didn't donate 2 million dollars toward denying American citizens equal protections under the law of the US?
When a religious organization is pushing to make people who do not share their beliefs live according to church doctrine by force of law it does effect me. No one is telling any church that they have to hold ceremonies for anyone.
This is about civil marriage.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
What concern is the church and its money to those outside the church, I keep asking.

Twenty years, or 5 years or 10 or whatever. When there's an effort to destroy the fabric of society and culture, and to change the very definition of marriage, it doesn't matter how long the fight. If the church loses it, so be it [shrug]. That's the craziness of the upside down world we have. There will be another battle from the left to fight. There always is. But, that's no reason to appease, accommodate, sacrfice beliefs and values, and -- what you want most from us -- embrace and accept your values.
When the Church is spending its money trying to deprive my fellow citizens from the rights I enjoy -- the right to marry a consenting adult of the gender to which I am naturally attracted -- you bet it's my concern.

You can blather on and on about your discriminatory values all you want. You'll just be one in a long line of excuse-makers from the founding of this country, always insisting that every aspect of social change was going to, to use your laughably alarmist phrase, 'destroy the fabric of society and culture'. And always being wrong.

Get used to losing.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
You can blather on and on about your discriminatory values all you want. You'll just be one in a long line of excuse-makers from the founding of this country, always insisting that every aspect of social change was going to, to use your laughably alarmist phrase, 'destroy the fabric of society and culture'. And always being wrong.

Get used to losing.
I know, it's sad, isn't it. BTW, destruction of society is not a future thing any more. It's here now. It's been deteriorating for a long time. In fact, it runs in cycles. But, you can't blame those who are trying to stave it off.

Like I said: sad.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
I know, it's sad, isn't it. BTW, destruction of society is not a future thing any more. It's here now.

Let's see. Canada, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, France, Netherlands, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, New Zealand, Australia, etc. all share the values of liberals and generally support social change.

Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Russia, Ukraine, Afghanistan, Egypt, Pakistan, Belarus, Serbia, Uganda, Sudan, etc. all support your inane sense of morality and oppressing those who don't fit archaic traditions.

Do you like being part of the 3rd world intellectually and socially? Why are the most progressive countries on Earth doing better than the most archaic and barbaric?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
It's funny seeing the pillars of old organized religion fall. Ironically, it seems the new religious follow the teachings of people like Christ more closely than the zealots of yesteryear who believe homosexuality should be a sin as terrible as murder. I like this whole move towards 'spirituality' as opposed to blindly following organized religion. Maybe the world will be a better place in 20 years as folks think more for themselves and simply use religion as a guideline rather than outright law.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I know, it's sad, isn't it. BTW, destruction of society is not a future thing any more. It's here now. It's been deteriorating for a long time. In fact, it runs in cycles. But, you can't blame those who are trying to stave it off.

You're sad.

The rest of us are improving the world.

Society won't deteriorate any more than it did when the social conservatives of the world direly warned that we'd better not free those slaves, let those women vote, or let interracial marriages happen.

Social conservatives won't stop crying wolf, but that won't matter.

You've lost.

You just haven't figured it out yet.

Nor have you figured out that society will get along just fine without your antiquated discriminatory ideals.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Do you like being part of the 3rd world intellectually and socially? Why are the most progressive countries on Earth doing better than the most archaic and barbaric?
We will soon join them economically also.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It's funny seeing the pillars of old organized religion fall. Ironically, it seems the new religious follow the teachings of people like Christ more closely than the zealots of yesteryear who believe homosexuality should be a sin as terrible as murder. I like this whole move towards 'spirituality' as opposed to blindly following organized religion. Maybe the world will be a better place in 20 years as folks think more for themselves and simply use religion as a guideline rather than outright law.
There's no such thing as 'spirituality' without standards and absolutes. To think othewise is to fool oneself.

Quote:

The rest of us are improving the world.
It's a matter of opinion and perspective. It's always "improvement" when one gets what one wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies