Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
But, but, but, stockings represent the tiny knitted booties given to baby Jesus. And reindeer pulled a sled that the chubby, white bearded, red coated wise men rode to deliver gifts to baby Jesus. And they burned a Yule log in the barn fireplace. And decorated evergreen trees with shiny balls and tinsel. All while traveling for a census in September /October.

ROTFLMBO!! *wiping tears away* I should NOT be laughing this hard on a full stomach.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
More like spring, around easter. They had gone to be there for the census. It was held in spring. Even the Romans would not have mass population tromping the roads in winter for a census. So why not celebrate the birth when it had to be if it is more than ceremonial?
Because if they didn't co-opt an existing pagan holiday they would have never got them to convert.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Christmas is a national holiday, and celebrated by 96% of Americans. If a cashier do not wish you "Merry Christmas" few days before Christmas, then it is idiotic. Hanukkah is NOT a national holiday, and is only celebrated by less than 2% of the US population by Jews only. America isn't Israel.

If I go to Israel, I wouldn't expect them wishing me Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays refers to Christmas, and is offending.
Happy Holidays is undifferenchiated among all the holidays occuring at the time. It refers to christmas and everything else. The religious celebration of christmas is NOT the legal holiday, its the cultural connitation of the holiday which applies, or something is very wrong here.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
More like spring, around easter. They had gone to be there for the census. It was held in spring. Even the Romans would not have mass population tromping the roads in winter for a census. So why not celebrate the birth when it had to be if it is more than ceremonial?
In point of fact, no one really knows when Jesus was born. How do you know the census was in the spring? I've heard the explanation that shepherds wouldn't have been out with their sheep in December, but then someone else came along and said that some years, it is warm enough to be out with the sheep then. What difference does it make? We have seen ample evidence that people enjoy a winter festival, by whatever name.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Default The "Christmas" Tree IS an Idol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Residents get upset though when the city doesn't put on their festival of lights.
Exactly, the tree is seen as an idol; what did the people in Exodus do with the golden bull? They adorned it with jewels and personal items, they danced around it, they bowed to it. Ring a bell anyone? During Christmas, people adorn the trees, they put it in the center of their home (living rooms), they gather family around it, they sing, they dance, they kneel down and deposit gifts under the trees. You see it as decoration, but all in all, you're worshipping a tree

Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
As a Christian, I must tell that it was a silly statement. Wintry decorations have nothing to do with Christmas, including snowman
Don't let them back you down. Most of our Christmas traditions concerning celebration come from Europeans who lived in the north and they had all those things like snow and ice during that time of year. These people won't stop acting like this till someone sticks their heads in a snowdrift after pulling them out of where they have been keeping them.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Wintery decorations ARE a part of chiristmas. They may not be part of the story of the birth of Jesus but they are part of the american christmas traditions and to even TRY to deny that is rediculous. Jesus himself isn't into decorations and the bible even says so with the "don't bring in a tree and decorate it" line. No leg to stand on there...no leg at all.

Decorations are a fashion statement, not a christian stand.
I can do a decoration which looks absolutiely like the cultural American tradition, with the sleigh and the red and white and the tree and have it have absolutely nothing to do with anything christian. It can have everything, however, to do with Yule. Even Santa has a connection to that. A pent would certainly draw attention but the triple Godess symbol would be cool to add, just in case anyone didn't get it.

Don't I have a right to be proud of MY belief?????

Want to read an interesting story? Read 'The Star' by Arthur C Clarke. I usually made it my holiday story to read long before I broke fully with the religion.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Don't let them back you down. Most of our Christmas traditions concerning celebration come from Europeans who lived in the north and they had all those things like snow and ice during that time of year. These people won't stop acting like this till someone sticks their heads in a snowdrift after pulling them out of where they have been keeping them.
Did you miss where that poster stated that all Christmas decorations can be directly linked to Jesus?
Maybe you can explain how reindeer, decorated trees, stockings, gingerbread men, and Santa directly relate to the birth of Jesus.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am Jewish also, and always offer to cover for people who need it during the Christmas season, and on Christmas. When I was active duty, I always stood duty on Christmas so that someone who celebrated it could be home with their family.

There was always some jerkwad complaining that people celebrating this and that, why should he respect anyone else's religion. That's the person who I never stood duty for... Remind you of someone in here???
As we become more diverse, maybe we offer x number of days off for holidays. You celebrate none, you can celebrate how good the surf in that day, doesn't matter. Your want the 25th off? Take it. You don't need to go ahead and take your day off. Schools have 'winter' break and 'spring' break so why couldn't we just let people choose which of the days they want off.

I used to go to a movie in the evening on christmas. People were certainly working there.

What matters is its equal and you don't ever have to explain what your taking the day off for, be it a holiday or you'd like to extend the weekend a day. When you use them up, you use them up.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
As we become more diverse, maybe we offer x number of days off for holidays. You celebrate none, you can celebrate how good the surf in that day, doesn't matter. Your want the 25th off? Take it. You don't need to go ahead and take your day off. Schools have 'winter' break and 'spring' break so why couldn't we just let people choose which of the days they want off.

I used to go to a movie in the evening on christmas. People were certainly working there.

What matters is its equal and you don't ever have to explain what your taking the day off for, be it a holiday or you'd like to extend the weekend a day. When you use them up, you use them up.
I have actually heard of workplaces that do that. In fact, I think my daughter's does, and she works for a Catholic hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies