Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 01:29 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times

Advertisements

Not their deathbed. Political parties evolve over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 01:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Not their deathbed. Political parties evolve over time.
The GOP has not, the country did. Mitt's folks counted on whites being 74% of the vote, the same % as 2008. They have fallen by at least 2-3 points in each of the last 4 races, and this time, volla they were 72%.

By '16, 70% or less.

By '24, under 65%.

The math dooms the GOP until they reject what brought them to their Senate/POTUS deathbed.

Latinos gave Obama a 5 million vote plurality; he won overall by 4 million.

In short, a Latino leader said it best 11/7: Romney was self deported by them to Massachusetts.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:51 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Republicans becoming more like Democrats is no more the answer than six trillion in new debt is a sign we're moving in the right direction.

While it brings in votes, there simply isn't a future in rewarding people for irresponsible behavior and/or not working.

Social conservatism, like it or not, cannot be separated from economic prosperity.

Going forward, America will rediscover her traditional values or continue to decline.
In order for all of this to happen, the Republican Party is going to have to realize that the Southern Strategy is now dead. It can't work anymore. It is going to have to learn that it cannot alienate minorities or drive them away.

I highly suggest that you read this article: RealClearPolitics - Needed: Competition For Black Votes
Opinion: Why the GOP Lost Black Voters - WNYC
Do Blacks Have a Reason to Vote GOP? Michael Steele Says No - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
This Is Just A Very Racist Political Ad | Videogum

I would also look at this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6iMb1fZ_Uw

Either the Republican Party is going to have to find a way to stop alienating minorities, or some other political party is going to have to take the place of Republicans. People who otherwise support traditional values and morals are often alienated by the Republican party, especially with ads such as this one: This Is Just A Very Racist Political Ad | Videogum , alot of minority voters have been driven away from the Republican Party, alot of people who would otherwise support the values you're talking about. Until the Republican Party addresses that issue, the Republican Party won't have a chance.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:07 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
All minority groups - women, African Americans, Latino Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans, LGBT - are now HEAVILY Democrat. Given that the percentage of minorities will only increase from here on out, is it basically over for the Republican Party in America?

BTW, I consider myself to be a moderate Republican. I'm wondering if I should even bother to vote anymore.
Do you think that the Republican Party is on its deathbed?

Yup....as long as they keep bringing up Palin....means they haven't learned a thing...

Old 11-22-2012, 02:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In order for all of this to happen, the Republican Party is going to have to realize that the Southern Strategy is now dead. It can't work anymore..
And not a moment too soon, as I have watched both parties, over 50 years, pander to the worst elements of the Southern culture. Are they a minority-yes, but a vocal one..who should be ignored.
The pandering first by the Dems, than the GOP, has been the ugliest bi-partisanship I have ever seen.

I favor fiscal conservatism, but not if it means the GOP map looks like the Old Confederacy, and 18 bison in the depopulated Midwest.

We need parties who penetrate ALL regions. No exceptions.

Old 11-22-2012, 02:32 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
All minority groups - women, African Americans, Latino Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans, LGBT - are now HEAVILY Democrat. Given that the percentage of minorities will only increase from here on out, is it basically over for the Republican Party in America?

BTW, I consider myself to be a moderate Republican. I'm wondering if I should even bother to vote anymore.
I guess if they are happy with their base consisting of a bunch of elderly white guys, who can basically hate everything and spout a lot of juvenile names at every one and wish we were back in the 50's and listen to a lot of hysterical rightie media entertainment then yes they are todays political dinosaurs and are now in the process of being flushed down the historical political crapper.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:04 PM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
And not a moment too soon, as I have watched both parties, over 50 years, pander to the worst elements of the Southern culture. Are they a minority-yes, but a vocal one..who should be ignored.
The pandering first by the Dems, than the GOP, has been the ugliest bi-partisanship I have ever seen.

I favor fiscal conservatism, but not if it means the GOP map looks like the Old Confederacy, and 18 bison in the depopulated Midwest.

We need parties who penetrate ALL regions. No exceptions.
We do need this. Unfortunately, the main concern has always been about staying in power, rather than serving the people, ALL of the people, White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander, Biracial,etc.

It makes me wonder about this: Why pander to the worst elements of Southern culture?

Old 11-22-2012, 03:18 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,860 times
The republican party will evolve, but the bible thumping anti-intellectual movement, the Tea Party, the deregulate everything until we are left with a trashed planet ans a log Walmart aisle, and the hide under a rock and say global warming isn't real sections are certainly on their deathbeds. Any group that takes away rights from the people, and give them to large corrupt corporations who only want money is probably not going to be around as society evolves, people respect other types of cultures, and we see the disastrous effects of large corporations from trashing the earth and killing local economies due to no regulatory barriers in place to stop them from doing anything to be profitable.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,508 times
If the far right-wing prevails in the GOP maybe they can accept the GOP becoming a minor regional party as a cost of maintaining idealogical purity. Influential in places like Wyoming and Oklahoma but never a serious competitor at the national level again.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:07 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:

We need more moderates in both parties because they will find common ground and compromise. Unfortunately, social conservatives and the tea party have taken over the Republican party. They either ignore or don't want to accept that this has become a very diverse country. A Republican has to run on a conservative platform just to get the nomination. Then they have to be a moderate to win the independent vote, the women, the minorities...etc. How can you win like that. More importantly, how can you trust someone like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies