Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^^ Agreed, and in many ways it resembles the longstanding chaos in the Democratic Party following their own radicalization during the Vietnam war and disastrous 1968 Convention in Chicago. But subduing a bunch of yippies and protesting college kids in Walter Cronkite's time was one thing... while reining in right wing zealots on the internet in a 24/7 media age is quite another!

Republicans becoming more like Democrats is no more the answer than six trillion in new debt is a sign we're moving in the right direction.

While it brings in votes, there simply isn't a future in rewarding people for irresponsible behavior and/or not working.

Social conservatism, like it or not, cannot be separated from economic prosperity.

Going forward, America will rediscover her traditional values or continue to decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,040 times
I think it's more like the liberal/progressive bunch are killing the "goose that laid the golden egg", so, we all go down the crapper. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
The GOP will be fine contrary to the hype the electorate actually became more Red. Obama received 7 million fewer votes than last time. It's just that Obama had such a wide head start the erosion he experienced didn't happen enough in key states.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obama received 7 million fewer votes than last time
and took 332 electoral votes, 126 more than Romney. Took all but 2 states he won in 2008.

Last 6 elections: GOP avg 203 electoral votes.

Mitt won white males and evengelicals by same margin as Reagan 1984, but demographics have changed immensely, and the GOP is still offering a TI calculator in the 21st century. Not as hot a product as when I went to high school 35 years ago!!

19 states have been blue 24 straight years (POTUS), totaling 243 electoral votes. 90% of the way. (Conversely, GOP red states 24 straight years bring 191 electoral votes-70% of the required amount to win).

The GOP is essentially starting like a goalie in Hockey's sudden death OT, where the offense is running a shootout.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:08 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
All minority groups - women, African Americans, Latino Americans, Jewish Americans, Asian Americans, LGBT - are now HEAVILY Democrat. Given that the percentage of minorities will only increase from here on out, is it basically over for the Republican Party in America?

BTW, I consider myself to be a moderate Republican. I'm wondering if I should even bother to vote anymore.
When the country defaults in a few years the GOP will come back strong.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:15 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Not quite, but if they want to stay off the deathbed they need to get out of bed with big business. I agree with the previous poster about telling the crazies like Michelle Bachman to stay away also
Wall Street and Unions are different though, is this what your saying? Groups like Acorn, Fannie Mae, & Freddie Mac........help our country????

Do bad others don't see corruption from both sides.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Republicans becoming more like Democrats is no more the answer than six trillion in new debt is a sign we're moving in the right direction.

While it brings in votes, there simply isn't a future in rewarding people for irresponsible behavior and/or not working.

Social conservatism, like it or not, cannot be separated from economic prosperity.

Going forward, America will rediscover her traditional values or continue to decline.
With our education system teaching anything, but traditional values it's going to be hard to get back on track. For some reason, we're to be like any other country..........

Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Yes, the Republican party will come back. I predict a very hostile takeover by Republicans who are not socially conservative.

What other choice do they have?

Old 11-22-2012, 12:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yes, the Republican party will come back. I predict a very hostile takeover by Republicans who are not socially conservative.

What other choice do they have?
I suspect after getting drubbed a few more times, the moderates will take the ship back.
Until than, for those of you who enjoyed 2008 and 2012, look at 2016, 2020, 2024 as the old song goes "Second verse, same as the first".

I do honestly think by '16 the GOP will not have come to its senses. They will run either a man who panders to the TP, or a radical conserv, and most likely , lose with fewer electoral votes than McCain got. But a few more trips to the political woodshed at the level of POTUS and Senator will send a message they cannot ignore. What alarms me is 2016, there is a tremendous chance for the Dems to once again get 60 or more Senators, as 2012 started them off far too high. They had 23 seats up in '12 and GAINED 2 seats!!

Last edited by bobtn; 11-22-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I suspect after getting drubbed a few more times, the moderates will take the ship back.
Until than, for those of you who enjoyed 2008 and 2012, look at 2016, 2020, 2024 as the old song goes "Second verse, same as the first".

I do honestly think by '16 the GOP will not have come to its senses. They will run either a man who panders to the TP, or a radical conserv, and most likely , lose with fewer electoral votes than McCain got. But a few more trips to the political woodshed at the level of POTUS and Senator will send a messgae they cannot ignore. What alarms me is 2016, there is a tremendous chance for the Dems to once again get 60 or more Senators, as 2012 started them off far too high. They had 23 seats up in '12 and GAINED 2 seats!!
I agree. As long as the aging leadership in the party remains in control, the Republicans will remain a minority. I, too, believe 2016 will be a repeat of this year.

But I think there is a possibility of a 3rd party, something along the lines of a Reformed Republican party, whose philosophy is based on the solid conservative principles of small government and fiscal conservatism, without any of the social issues, may arise.
There is nothing harder to change than an old man's mind, and it is obvious that the Republicans are mostly old white men now.
Creating a new Republican party is, I think, potentially easier to accomplish than trying to change the existing one from within, and would allow conservatives a clear choice of which name brand party they wish to join. Re-branding a failing party is something that carries on the brand value of that party. It announces that the members are still Republicans, but better Republicans, in a very clear message.

After all, the original Republicans were Reformed Whigs. After their new party proved to be more popular because it fit with the desires of the Whig majority, the Whigs died on the vine a few elections later. I can easily see this happening once again by 2020. A Reformed Republican party might lose that election, but that would depend on when it is created, how strong it becomes, and how much gain such a party would make between now and then.

For sure, there is now a great yearning for the return of the party as it once was in many Republicans. For all the minorities who have been shut out but are conservative by nature, a new party would be much more attractive. I believe their current distrust will continue for as long as the current party's majority members and leadership exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies