Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM

734 posts, read 933,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Muslims do not believe in the same Jesus. Jesus claimed to be God. As such, He cann't be viewed as a "holy" prophet. So you'd have to ask yourself who is the prophet that Muslims believe in, since he's not the Christ of the Bible. Consequently, their "Allah" also is not the same God as the God of the Bible.
FYI: Allah means God in Arabic.

The Sealed Nectar The Second Aqabah Pledge on sunnipath.com
Quote:

Chapter Maryam (English Translation: Mary) [in the Quran] tells the story of the birth of Yahya (English Translation: John) after his father's desperation for having a successor. It goes on to say that God Himself named him and that he was the first to carry this name. This account is immediately followed by the account of the annunciation to the virgin, Mary. Jesus (Arabic Translation Isa) is much revered by Muslims as a very important prophet of Islam, similar to Adam, Abraham, Moses and Muhammad but not as the Son of God as is the belief in Christianity. Islamic belief holds that he was born of a virgin birth but that neither he nor his mother were divine. Actually, in this Sura, Allah describes those who say that Isa was the Son of God as saying something blasphemous, as God is the omnipotent creator and that all the creatures in earth and in heaven are God's servants. Maryam is venerated but not as the mother of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 05:56 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,615,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

And what is the title (not the headline of the article)? Why, it's this:
"Jesus of Nazareth -- The Infancy Narratives"

What "all" is it saying?

So? This Pope's book sounds like a rehash of old information that, believe it or not, most people know!
What the heck is your problem? The fact is is that most people, especially hardcore Christians, do not know these things, and it is significant that the leader of the Catholic Church is calling attention to the fact that many Christmas traditions have nothing to do with Christ.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Christmas wasn't celebrated by the pilgrims, as well as easter, because there was no mention to do so in the bible. Pure being the key word.

Christs Mass was introduced by the Catholic Church as a means to end the celebrating of the end of the year celebration of the winter solstice. All the "green" stuff was a celebration of the promise of the return of spring, then was twisted to showing Christs eternal life.

Customs change, customs go, its the way of the world.

The idea behind animals in the manger was that it was essentially a barn, and thus this is where Jesus was born. People put their own interpretation into these things.

I don't care if people celebrate Christmas for whatever reason they want. Me and my family celebrate Christmas. What gets me is when the community, my tax dollars, goes to perpetuate a Christian myth that I don't like it.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:22 PM

6 posts, read 6,444 times
wow!!!! in my family we celebrate christmas as the birth of my saviour, we dont know the exact time he was born but god know that he is in our mind and heart. Just because they couldnt hear angels sing doesnt mean they didn't. I dont follow the pope i follow jesus. I always wondered why people who dont like god bye gifts and trees.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,588,030 times
Just because a person was not born on the actual date does not mean you cannot celebrate the birth another day. Lots of people may do their birthday celebration on another day than their actual birth day. Good Friday, Easter, Passover, Rosh Hashanah, etc. are all movable dates anyway.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
What the heck is your problem? The fact is is that most people, especially hardcore Christians, do not know these things, and it is significant that the leader of the Catholic Church is calling attention to the fact that many Christmas traditions have nothing to do with Christ.
What the heck is YOUR problem, besides starting several anti-Christmas threads, and a number of anti-Mormon threads during the campaign?

Please show some documentation for your "fact". Your "fact" is not my experience. Anyone who has taken social studies classes in middle school has learned some of this information about Christmas traditions and where they came from.

The CNN headline writer did not get it right. I posted the title of the Pope's book. Are you aware the Pope has a Nazi past?

Pope Benedict XVI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
What the heck is YOUR problem, besides starting several anti-Christmas threads, and a number of anti-Mormon threads during the campaign? Is this anti-Christmas thread not going your way?
A thread on the Mormon church's clarification of its stance on caffinated drinks just in time for the presidential election is anti-Mormon? You really need to toughen up.

And how the heck is this thread anti-Christmas exactly?

Quote:
Please show some documentation for your fact. Your "fact" is not my experience.
What fact did I claim? If you actually read the article, the Pope's statements on caroling and animals at the manger are quite clear and based on his expertise as a theologian. But I clearly stated that this information was coming from the Pope. I haven't offered any facts so settle down already.

Quote:
Anyone who has taken social studies classes in middle school has learned some of this information about Christmas traditions and where they came from.
That was content for your social studies class? How bizarre.

Quote:
The CNN headline writer did not get it right.
Didn't get what right? The title of the book was not the point. The content of the book is.

Quote:
I posted the title of the Pope's book. Are you aware the Pope has a Nazi past?

Pope Benedict XVI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If I was more sensitive I would say that this is your attempt to bash Catholics. Hypocrite much?

Last edited by helenejen; 11-25-2012 at 07:39 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
A thread on the Mormon church's clarification of its stance on caffinated drinks just in time for the presidential election is anti-Mormon? You really need to toughen up.

And how the heck is this thread anti-Christmas exactly?

Oh, for Pity's sake! You started this thread:

Tis the Season: Killing Christmas 2012

which was a trolling thread from the get-go.

What fact did I claim? If you actually read the article, the Pope's statements on caroling and animals at the manger are quite clear and based on his expertise as a theologian. But I clearly stated that this information was coming from the Pope. I haven't offered any facts so settle down already.

Here's your fact (your words):
Quote:
The fact is is that most people, especially hardcore Christians, do not know these things,

That was content for your social studies class? How bizarre.

Why is that bizarre to you? Don't you think students should learn about different customs? I'm talking middle school here.

Didn't get what right? The title of the book was not the point. The content of the book is.

You claimed the title of the CNN article said it all. I'll refresh your memory:

Quote:
Title says it all: Pope's Book on Jesus Challenges Christmas Traditions
YOUR WORDS! In fact, that is not the title of the book.

If I was more sensitive I would say that this is your attempt to bash Catholics. Not very Christian of you.
What do you mean? This is well documented fact. I could post a dozen more links.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
What do you mean? This is well documented fact. I could post a dozen more links.
Are you kidding me?

First, the title I was obviously referring to was the title of the Telegraph article, not the title of the Pope's book, which is clearly stated in the article.

Second, because of your failure to quote accurately, it seemed as if the facts that you were referring to had to do with the claims in the original post. And yes, it is a fact, proven on this forum ad nauseum, that most Christians do not aware of the ways in which the Christian celebration of Christmas has co-opted non-Christian celebratory practices.

Third, yes I find it bizarre to talk about Christmas in social studies. You shouldn't assume that everyone did that just because it was your experience. Isn't that what you say anyway?

Fourth, "Tis the Season: Killing Christmas 2012" is obviously a play on the claims made by some Christians that there is a desire to kill Christmas in this country. If people think that atheists having their say during the holidays is somehow an attempt to kill Christmas, they need to get a grip.

Finally, what relevance does the Pope being a teenager in Nazi Germany and being conscripted into the Hitler Youth and drafted into the army have to do with this thread exactly? Nothing. The fact is is that the Pope has more expertise in the history analysis of the Bible than most people, hence why it makes a difference what he has to say on the subject.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me?

First, the title I was obviously referring to was the title of the article, not the title of the Pope's book, which is clearly stated in the article.

Second, because of your failure to quote accurately, it seemed as if the facts that you were referring to had to do with the claims in the original post. And yes, it is a fact, proven on this forum ad nauseum, that most Christians do not aware of the ways in which the Christian celebration of Christmas has co-opted non-Christian celebratory practices.

Third, yes I find it bizarre to talk about Christmas in social studies. You shouldn't assume that everyone did that just because it was your experience. Isn't that what you say anyway?

Fourth, "Tis the Season: Killing Christmas 2012" is obviously a play on the claims made by some Christians that there is a desire to kill Christmas in this country. If people think that atheists having their say during the holidays is somehow an attempt to kill Christmas, they need to get a grip.

Finally, what relevance does the Pope being a teenager in Nazi Germany and being conscripted into the Hitler Youth and drafted into the army have to do with this thread exactly? Nothing. The fact is is that the Pope has more expertise in the history analysis of the Bible than most people, hence why it makes a difference what he has to say on the subject.
First, OK, so you think CNN"s headline writer "says it all"! Good for you! I learned a long time ago to look beyond the headline, as it often doesn't really match the story. The author of the article generally doesn't write the headline.

Secondly, I quoted accurately and directly. The beauty of this board is that you can't "un-say" something.

Third, I don't think you know what "bizarre" means. You never learned about the Druids, the Celts, the Romans, the Norse and some of their traditions? I think that's bizarre!

Fourth, you are the one who started the first "Killing Christmas" thread this season, an honor that usually goes to a RWNJ. There are enough of them on this board doing such.

Finally, I just think it's an interesting part of the Pope's background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies