Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times

Advertisements

It seems on many forums that many Democrats are drawing to the blatantly false conclusion that the Republican Party would try to block statehood for Puerto Rico. However, the official 2012 Republican platform explicitly states that they support statehood for Puerto Rico. The Democratic platform does not explicitly mention support for statehood.

So, why is there this general assumption by many Democrats? I presume it is because the Democrats would gain electoral votes, however, due to the fixed limit of 435 seats in the House of Representatives as stated in the U.S. Constitution, some states will have to lose representatives, and most likely the major blue states will probably be the most affected, thus only giving Democrats a net gain of only 2 electoral votes. I highly doubt the Republican Party would by lying in its official platform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 08:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
It seems on many forums that many Democrats are drawing to the blatantly false conclusion that the Republican Party would try to block statehood for Puerto Rico. However, the official 2012 Republican platform explicitly states that they support statehood for Puerto Rico. The Democratic platform does not explicitly mention support for statehood.

So, why is there this general assumption by many Democrats? I presume it is because the Democrats would gain electoral votes, however, due to the fixed limit of 435 seats in the House of Representatives as stated in the U.S. Constitution, some states will have to lose representatives, and most likely the major blue states will probably be the most affected, thus only giving Democrats a net gain of only 2 electoral votes. I highly doubt the Republican Party would by lying in its official platform.
The Democrats engage in lies and racial division. Romney campaigned on PR statehood, which I personally think is a bad idea. The island is in a 5 year recession, has a terrible crime problem and is in dire fiscal straits. We're already going to have to bail out failed Democrat states like California and Illinois at some point. Why add another to the list?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:07 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
I never heard that Dems or Reps were for or against statehood for Puerto Rico.

I know the Puerto Ricans have been tossing the idea around for quite a long time.

I assumed it would be up to them to decide...?

Personally, I have no opinion one way or the other.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

I know the Puerto Ricans have been tossing the idea around for quite a long time.

It has to be approved by Congress, Puerto Ricans have little actual say in the matter.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:21 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

I do, and it is absolutely not - and NO for DC statehood as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well it's coming out that Puerto Rico is bleeding red with lots of debt and no way to pay it off.
I'm sure that's an influencing factor here and could be one reason why PR wants to become a state.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:33 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Anything to back up your statement, OP?

Old 11-27-2012, 09:34 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,879 times
more boocrap!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:59 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Anything to back up your statement, OP?
Official Republican 2012 Platform:
Quote:
We support the right of the United States citizens of Puerto Rico to be admitted to the Union as a fully sovereign state after they freely so determine. We recognize that Congress has the final authority to define the constitutionally valid options for Puerto Rico to achieve a permanent non-territorial status with government by consent and full enfranchisement. As long as Puerto Rico is not a state, however, the will of its people regarding their political status should be ascertained by means of a general right of referendum or specific referenda sponsored by the U.S. government.
Here are two sources that state the contrary:
Despite Referendum, Puerto Rico Statehood Unlikely Until At Least 2015 - US News and World Report
Bennett L. Gershman: Did Puerto Rico Really Vote for Statehood?

Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
So you have contradictory statements.
Your point?
What blatantly false conclusions are we drawing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies