Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,181,039 times

Advertisements

They could just raise the standard deduction to make up for some of the lost tax break. I think the state income tax deduction (on federal tax form) should be eliminated before this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I personally have nothing to gain by fighting, I have no mortgage.

I'm sure you've heard the...

When they came for the xxxx, it didn't effect me so I didn't get involved.
When they came for me there was no one left.

One by one they will chip away at items that affect people. One day it will be an item that directly affects you.
If you don't unite with the others then they will not come to your defense.

This deduction doesn't impact the poor and doesn't impact the rich.
It directly impacts the middle class who make the most of it to get a bigger deduction than the standard one.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:33 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I say let us go over the fiscal cliff. American voters need to be taught a very tough lesson. Voting for the (half) black guy because he has a radiant smile, throws around soaring rhetoric without the means to back it up, and because he's not Mitt Romney should have consequences.
I agree. It will be funny to watch wet cats scream when they didn't have to pay taxes and with the expiration they will have to pay. It will be something to watch Obama voters scream because it was supposed to be someone else not them.

You want higher taxes? Then everyone should pay higher taxes.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Deductions are not entitlements. My money belongs to me. Sending less of my money to the idiots in DC is not an entitlement.
It's an entitlement, no matter how you spin it. YOU owe that money to the BANK, because you could not afford to pay for your house incash. YOU took a mortgage, and now you expect the the taxpayer to subsidize the interest.

Quite honestly I am tired of paying for your bills.

Go ahead Congress, - cut the deduction.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You want higher taxes? Then everyone should pay higher taxes.
Whenever you wish higher taxes on your neighbor for vengeance, you make bureaucrats smile because they know the neighbor will soon return the favor.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It's an entitlement, no matter how you spin it. YOU owe that money to the BANK, because you could not afford to pay for your house incash. YOU took a mortgage, and now you expect the the taxpayer to subsidize the interest.

Wrong on many counts. Some people CHOOSE to take a loan so they can invest their cash. NOT because they cannot afford to pay for their house in cash.

And I agree with removing the interest deduction along with many others, but it should be coupled with a tax rate decrease. The feds don't need more money to waste.

I'll help you out;

en·ti·tle·ment

[en-tahy-tl-muh nt] Show IPA
noun 1. the act of entitling.
2. the state of being entitled.
3. the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program, as Social Security or unemployment compensation.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm sure you've heard the...

When they came for the xxxx, it didn't effect me so I didn't get involved.
When they came for me there was no one left.

One by one they will chip away at items that affect people. One day it will be an item that directly affects you.
If you don't unite with the others then they will not come to your defense.

This deduction doesn't impact the poor and doesn't impact the rich.
It directly impacts the middle class who make the most of it to get a bigger deduction than the standard one.
Agree. Those who are in their twenties, thirties, and forties should be spending some time fighting this. As I see age 70 in the not too distant future I will spend any time I have to fight anything actively opposing the override of our property tax cap. That affects me much more.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

So any tax cut of any kind is an entitlement. You must be a Democrat.

Do you have any idea the scale of corporate tax deductions and evasions?

Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Wrong on many counts. Some people CHOOSE to take a loan so they can invest their cash. NOT because they cannot afford to pay for their house in cash.
I don't care what your motivation is, the problem here is that you feel you are entiteled to the benefit which other people are paying for.

I, for one, do not think you are entiteled to it.

Get your hands out of my pocket

Moocher.....

a: the state or condition of being entitled : right

b: a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract
: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also: funds supporting or distributed by such a program

: belief that one is deserving of or entitled to certain privileges

Old 11-27-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
So any tax cut of any kind is an entitlement. You must be a Democrat.
No, I am not a Democrat, nor did I say any tax cut is entitlement. You said that, not me.

Quote:
Do you have any idea the scale of corporate tax deductions and evasions?
Yes. I think they need to follow torough with the proposal to drop corp tax rate by 10%, and remove tax loopholes, subsidies and deductios with a heavy hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies