Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 06:20 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
When the federal government stopped all bans on interracial marriage it was when there were only 17 states still banning it, but California was the first state to stop the ban and it took many years for more states to follow suit, much like has been happening with same sex marriage. And when Loving verses Virginia was decided, from 60% to 70% of the US population was against it and used the same arguements as used against same sex marriage. There is nothing behind the anti same sex marriage group other than their hatred, lies and religion. There is no legitimate reason to ban us from marrying.
That is such a sophomoric argument. There is cause to view same-sex marriage and traditional marriage differently, because there is a fundamental difference between the two, while skin color makes absolutely no difference in either case.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
That is such a sophomoric argument. There is cause to view same-sex marriage and traditional marriage differently, because there is a fundamental difference between the two, while skin color makes absolutely no difference in either case.
What is the reason to treat them differently?
There is not one requirement of marriage that necessitates having a certain set of genitalia.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:42 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I really don't understand what the issue is. Are you invited to the wedding? Didn't think so, so there is really no reason to object.

In the eyes of the law, marriage is a contract. [if your church doesn't recognize gay marriage, that is something else entirely]. We should not limit people who are choosing to enter in to the contract.

I did see this great video:
[vimeo]67930171[/vimeo]
Xanax for Gay Summer Weddings on Vimeo

Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
The bigots lose....again.
The country moves a huge step forward when this happens.

These people (Conservatives) have been dragging the country down since the beginning.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The country moves a huge step forward when this happens.

These people (Conservatives) have been dragging the country down since the beginning.
Just the religious nutjobs.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:54 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I and others have shown you specific state laws that render certain marriages performed in other states void and unrecognized, and in some instances criminal if registered.
do you honestly think that FF&CC is absolute?

Quote:
That, and the fact there is no legal precedent forcing states to recognize marriages their laws do not recognize, is my proof.
So if I get married in California and move to Alaska, and Alaska says "nope, you're not married!", and i show them "Hell yeah I am" by proving I have a marriage license, is Alaska going to stand their ground and say "nope, not in our state!"

Do you seriously and honestly believe that?

Quote:
You claim that such state laws are void when it comes to otherwise unlawful marriages performed out of state due to the FFC clause.
Nowhere did i say that.

Quote:
That's what you're claiming. Show me one instance where this has ever happened.
that's not what I am claiming.

Now show us a case where first cousins married in a state that allows it, who moved to another that doesn't allow it, had their marriage go unrecognized in that state.

The onus is on you.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,329,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Not his job. The burden is on you to prove the existence of God. Physical Evidence please.

When you prove God does not exist then we will have our answer. Do you have proof? Please provide it. I would be willing to honestly and openly look at your proof. Thanks!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:06 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Huh? All states do not have to recognize same sex marriage - that was clear in the opinion today. However, yes, if a person was married (and lived?? that's not clear yet) in a state where same sex marriage is legal, the Federal gov't must recognize that as a legal marriage.
But the court went beyond the pale “The federal statute is invalid, for no legitimate purpose overcomes the purpose and effect to disparage and to injure those whom the State, by its marriage laws, sought to protect in personhood and dignity.” This type of crap is not what we expect from the SCOTUS.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
When you prove God does not exist then we will have our answer.
We can't prove a negative. however, you are positive that your "God" exists. If he does, then you have evidence.

Please provide this evidence.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:57 PM

904 posts, read 687,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
We can't prove a negative. however, you are positive that your "God" exists. If he does, then you have evidence.

Please provide this evidence.
THe beauty about belief, is you must prove it to your self.

No one can do it for you, anymore than one can take your first step for you.

Or chew your food for you, swallow for you, or any other ability that is given to the individual to overcome and master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies