Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

This abuse of power by LE with no self control is becoming quite common. So instead of verifying a crook's address, they prefer to bust down the door and terrorize an innocent family.

Meanwhile, LE can do this with impunity until the citizens raise their voices to the politicians.

DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIDDLETOWN — Steve Tuppeny was in the garage of his Middletown home having a smoke at 6:15 a.m., his wife and daughter asleep inside, when the Wilmington SWAT officers made their move.

Dressed in black, several officers rushed Tuppeny, ordered him to lie face down on the ground and handcuffed him. Other SWAT officers smashed the storm door in the front of the Tuppenys’ two-story colonial-style home, then used a battering ram to break through the red front door.

Jennifer Tuppeny, a teacher at Marbrook Elementary School near Prices Corner, said she was asleep upstairs when officers threw open the door to her darkened bedroom and ordered her at gunpoint to get up.

The couple’s 8-year-old daughter was awakened out of a “dead sleep” by “men dressed in black with guns shining flashlights in her face,” Jennifer Tuppeny said.

Terrorized Family - SWAT Raids Wrong Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,696,194 times
The tragedy is that SWAT members and members of the local government think this is OK and normal.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:05 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
without running afoul of Godwin's law, it's just unfortunate that people can look back at tyrannical gov't from times past with outrage, but they don't react when it happens right under their own noses.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The tragedy is that SWAT members and members of the local government think this is OK and normal.
Correct. Just a bump in the road.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
They should really keep their Garmins updated with the latest software to insure correct addresses.

I read an article where SWAT also had the wrong address and raided an abandoned house
I LOL'd. I guess the overgrown weeds and broken windows didn't cause them to stop and think.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:17 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
They made a mistake. It happens, nothing tyrannical about it. Did they refuse to release the guy? Police raiding bad addresses has been going on forever, just like fedex mis-delivering packages or the Romney campaign knowing they'd win big. Figure out why the mistake happened and try not to make it again.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
They made a mistake. It happens, nothing tyrannical about it. Did they refuse to release the guy? Police raiding bad addresses has been going on forever, just like fedex mis-delivering packages or the Romney campaign knowing they'd win big. Figure out why the mistake happened and try not to make it again.
Just wow...having a SWAT team raid your home by mistake is like fedex delivering your package to the wrong address ?

You, my friend, have never been put in a position where the cops think you are the bad guy.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
I certainly hope the family that was wrongly terrorized does well in the lawsuit.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just wow...having a SWAT team raid your home by mistake is like fedex delivering your package to the wrong address ?

You, my friend, have never been put in a position where the cops think you are the bad guy.
You my friend are delusional. They hit the wrong house by accident not intentionally. This happens in the military regularly but that's always excused. Cops like FedEx delivery people are just humans, that's all. They're going to make mistakes. Pretending that they intended to terrorize this family does nothing to actually solve the problem but hey, im rational.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
You my friend are delusional. They hit the wrong house by accident not intentionally. This happens in the military regularly but that's always excused. Cops like FedEx delivery people are just humans, that's all. They're going to make mistakes. Pretending that they intended to terrorize this family does nothing to actually solve the problem but hey, im rational.
You never forget an incident like that. Intentional or not, that family was terrorized.
You cannot really understand until it happens to you.

It did happen to me but not by SWAT.

I got lost in a warehouse/industrial section of town while looking for a welding shop.
I was driving around in circles looking for the address.
Meanwhile..a robbery had occured there and the police were looking for the suspects.
(Didn't know that at the time).
I got stopped..thought it was a traffic stop (hey..that's the only reason I've ever been stopped while driving).
Surprise, surprise..cops had hands on holsters and yelled "get out of the car".
Got out of car. They asked for papers. I reached for pocketbook and they undid the snap on their holsters and they yelled "don't move". Just like in the movies my hands shot up in the air and the fear that hit me was nothing I had ever known. I thought I was going to get shot by them and die.

Guilty until proven innocent is NOT like fedex mis-delivering your package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies