Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 09:33 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob3gd View Post

You yourself aren't telling the whole story. The atheist decided to pic on the church by displaying offensive material next to the nativity scene. The atheist purposely picked a fight with the church. Then someone vandalized the atheist scene. Then an atheist, who lives in Burbank, decided to get a bunch of atheist groups together and they all applied for the display lottery for a slot. By having so many of them apply, they were able to push the church and the nativity scene out of the park, only leaving them with two scenes instead of the usual 17. So i think that its important to tell the whole story here. It was the atheist, who successfully bullied the church and was able to push the scene out, a scene that has been on display for over 60 years that the community enjoyed. the judge didn't ban the display, he just said that the city had a reasonable excuse for banning unattended displays because of the cost of maintenance.
So, according to you, it is okay for a church to put up a display that is offensive to the majority of the world but no one can offend this church?

You tell the whole story, your agenda is showing and points out the poorly thought out basis of your claims. Intolerance at its best.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Our nativity scenes are displayed on Church property - not at City Hall - what's wrong with that?

Not a darned thing. Private property and private financing for the display are just fine.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:52 AM

14 posts, read 23,686 times
Gizmo 980 thanks for the clarification. Under no circumstances do I or my fellow christians condon vandalizm even an atheist discplay. That is WRONG!!!!! The only comeback weak as it may be is that a nativity or menora is a display for a "specific" traditional season or holiday. Christmas can be bumped IF a person wanted to be creative as a pagan (not an atheist) they could have a display for winter solstice and santurnalia the very pagan holiday replaced by Christmas. For the record we non-religous christians have reason to believe that Jesus was born via two possible occassions .He was first conceived while Mary was in temple during Hanukkka 4BC (Dec) when te moon was at the head of virgo (conception) and 9 mos later born when the moon was at the foot of virgo (are you ready?) September 11 3BC!!during Rosh Hashanah. Or he was born on 1 Nissan (spring) this is when lambs are born. Further investigation confirms lambs are born also in the fall so we are chillingly overwhelmed with the revelation of September 11 confirming ALL aspects of THE HARBINGER a study done by the great messanic Johnathan Cahn. You are prevee to being one of few people in the world to have this relatively new insight so either run with it or ....migrate to athiest stuff whatever your season might be? I have Jesus Christ and can survive in His adult stage better than as an infant baby because a manger doesn't define my faith totally. Thanks for correcting me !

Last edited by Littlerascal; 12-03-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
BINGO! Oh the power of small interest groups and there millions of dollars such as the ACLU and Freedom of Religion foundation. This is what the deniers of " War on Christmas" and "war on religion" don't get, unless they are purposely pretending it doesn't exist. I mean its right on your face. Im not saying that these groups don't protect the freedom of people who have real establishment clause issues, but you cant deny that they don't go around the country attacking and being unreasonable.

You yourself aren't telling the whole story. The atheist decided to pic on the church by displaying offensive material next to the nativity scene. The atheist purposely picked a fight with the church. Then someone vandalized the atheist scene. Then an atheist, who lives in Burbank, decided to get a bunch of atheist groups together and they all applied for the display lottery for a slot. By having so many of them apply, they were able to push the church and the nativity scene out of the park, only leaving them with two scenes instead of the usual 17. So i think that its important to tell the whole story here. It was the atheist, who successfully bullied the church and was able to push the scene out, a scene that has been on display for over 60 years that the community enjoyed. the judge didn't ban the display, he just said that the city had a reasonable excuse for banning unattended displays because of the cost of maintenance.

Bottom line: if the Nativity scenes had been displayed at the churches in the first place, there would have been no issue.

And, specific to the bolded part - that's some selective telling. It wasn't the Nativity scenes that were vandalized so, it wasn't the "church" that was bullied. Those who chose to vandalize the non-church displays are solely responsible for the end result.

And, there was nothing offensive about what was on the non-church displays, unless you consider the mere fact of their presence "offensive." (?)

You and those who did vandalize the atheists' displays would do well to remember this:

Matthew 7:3-5
New International Version (NIV)
3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM

164 posts, read 347,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't need to do research (you might want to get a certain reference book yourself, hint hint), I use my eyes and ears to watch the world around me... and having lived in a variety of places, around a variety of people, I have learned that most people don't care about this nonsense. There are still plenty of Christmas displays, songs, carolers, and everything else related to this holiday - even here in the very liberal Bay Area. And I don't believe your post office story, since I work for a government institution, and we had carolers visit just last year. We loved it! In addition to Christmas songs they also sang a few for Chanukah & Kwanzaa, which was a nice touch. What's the harm in that??

Turn off Fox News, go outside, and look around for a while. Do you see anyone suppressing your rights, or arresting people for celebrating Christmas? And has anyone personally relayed stories of being explicitly told what to say or do at this time of year? If not, I would suggest keeping the television off that channel permanently.

Btw, can you link to this story about the girl in North Carolina? Was she praying to herself, or leading the other students in prayer? I have no issue with people praying privately, no matter where they are at the time... but if they try to lead my non-Christian child in a Christian prayer, at a PUBLIC school, I darn-tootin' will have a problem with that! Wouldn't you have a problem with your child being led in Muslim prayers at school?
U.S. Post Office Kicks Out Christmas Carolers.
U.S. Post Office in Maryland Kicks Out Christmas Carolers | TheBlaze.com

School forces Child to Remove "God" From Veteran's Day Poem.
School Forces Child to Remove ‘God’ From Veteran’s Day Poem: ‘Separation of Church & State’ | TheBlaze.com

School district Ban Christmas
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/us_news...erry-christmas

I find it interesting that you are insulting me. You dont even know me and no i don't watch FOX News but Im pretty sure its OK to watch MSNBC, where everyone is a racist, sexist, and bigot right? If you cant have a decent conversation with me without resorting to insults, then I have no interest in talking to you. Not only that, but you failed to see the big picture of my argument but since I already see your thought process then I wont bother. good day to you.

Last edited by rob3gd; 12-03-2012 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
U.S. Post Office Kicks Out Christmas Carolers.
U.S. Post Office in Maryland Kicks Out Christmas Carolers | TheBlaze.com

School forces Child to Remove "God" From Veteran's Day Poem.
School Forces Child to Remove ‘God’ From Veteran’s Day Poem: ‘Separation of Church & State’ | TheBlaze.com

I find it interesting that you are insulting me. You dont even know me and no i don't watch FOX News but Im pretty sure its OK to watch MSNBC, where everyone is a racist, sexist, and bigot right? If you cant have a decent conversation with me without resorting to insults, then I have no interest in talking to you. Not only that, but you failed to see the big picture of my argument but since I already see your thought process then I wont bother. good day to you.
So one local branch of the Post Office does not want carolers on their premises. Hardly makes the case for national persecution, especially considering that the post office sells both CHRISTMAS cards and CHRISTMAS stamps and some blatantly religious ones at that.

Full disclosure: I am sending my Christmas cards with the Holy Family stamps this year.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,393,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Well-known Ben Stein (A Jew) appeared on Fox News today and spoke about 'War on Christmas'. He said that Christmas is a Christian holiday, and is a beautiful holiday to celebrate the birth of a peaceful, loving, and most influential man who walked on this Earth 2,000 years ago. This is after some atheists groups and leaders who have showed their arrogance toward the holiday, wants to abolish Christmas from public, and wants the holiday not observed by the federal due to "separation of church and state" despite that Christmas has been ruled as constitutional by the congress, and has been observed as a national holiday for centuries, and is today the most popular and widely known and celebrated holiday. 96% of Americans celebrate Christmas, whether for religious or secular reason.

Watch the news clip and read more about it on http://www.mediaite.com/tv/ben-stein...ry-and-bitter/

Ben Stein is telling the truth. This is very sad what few intolerant minorities are trying to destroy and take away the cultural and traditional religious holiday from us...
When you have to be angry and outraged every day, eventually, the topics of outrage become really, really stupid. Like this one.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Speaking of "special interst groups", have you considered that these christians of whom you are so proud are, in fact, a "special interest group" intent on silencing any who dare not to bow to them as the final word on everything?

You should know the definitions of terms before you incorrectly use them.
You know I just don't get it. Why are people on this forum, who are theoretically grown men and women, keep hurling insults? Cant even have a conversation without insulting people you disagree with, then completely dodging there question and opinion to tout yours as the winning view. I say this forum is something else.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
So, according to you, it is okay for a church to put up a display that is offensive to the majority of the world but no one can offend this church?

You tell the whole story, your agenda is showing and points out the poorly thought out basis of your claims. Intolerance at its best.
Yet another post insulting me while dodging the issues and touting their view as the winning answer. I'm done.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Yet another post insulting me while dodging the issues and touting their view as the winning answer. I'm done.
Yes, pointing out the truth in yuor statement would be insulting to such as you.

BTW, exactly what point of view do you think I am touting? None stated.

Additionally, I doubt that you are done. You just can't help yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies