Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

No, we are still sitting in the middle, we are a pretty purple country....just because you guy lost the election doesn't mean we have moved into some far left country it just means we aren't moving to the far right any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:47 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
Obama is a centrist. Go ahead and name a few liberal things he's done, but the overall average is a centrist.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Are we, as a country, at the furthest point left in the political spectrum in history? The reelection of President Obama, despite the abysmal economy and the impending fiscal cliff, leads me to believe that we could be at our furthest left-of-center point in history. Does anyone else agree? And what do you think are the factors in determining whether we will continue moving even further left, or if we will swing back to the right?
Not at all. Obama won based on low voter turnout. Bush got 62 million votes in 2004, and barely won. Obama got 64 million in 2012. Obama got about 2 million votes less than Bush proportionally than Bush, based on population growth from 2004 to 2012. Obama ran a brilliant campaign tactically speaking, suppressing the indy vote with negative ads, but that doesn't necessarily reflect where the country is politically.

29 of 50 governors are republican. Gallup reports that self-identified conservatives outnumber self-identified liberals by a 2-1 margin.
Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

It's still a center right country. But I don't think there's much question that liberals have outmaneuvered conservatives, and have the tactical uppper hand.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:51 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Not at all. Obama won based on low voter turnout. Bush got 62 million votes in 2004, and barely won. Obama got 64 million in 2012. Obama got about 2 million votes less than Bush proportionally than Bush, based on population growth from 2004 to 2012. Obama ran a brilliant campaign tactically speaking, suppressing the indy vote with negative ads, but that doesn't necessarily reflect where the country is politically.

29 of 50 governors are republican. Gallup reports that self-identified conservatives outnumber self-identified liberals by a 2-1 margin.
Conservatives Remain the Largest Ideological Group in U.S.

It's still a center right country. But I don't think there's much question that liberals have outmaneuvered conservatives, and have the tactical uppper hand.
I never read a bigger collection of nonsense based upon sour-grapes mentality -- which includes a new definition for "voter suppression." Apparently, doing nothing to actually prevent people from voting, is now considered voter suppression.

More people may "call" themselves conservatives as compared to liberals, but when you ask them what they believe in, more believe in what are considered liberal values, such as government intervention and the social safety net.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:54 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, we are still sitting in the middle, we are a pretty purple country....just because you guy lost the election doesn't mean we have moved into some far left country it just means we aren't moving to the far right any time soon.
There is a slight problem with your reasoning....... This country historically moves like the tide each 8 years.

When Obama's term is nearing it's end it will have been that 8 years and the pendulum will start to swing to the right, because by then everyone who voted for the ONE will be so sick and tired of his BSing that you people will swing the other way. You will have felt the full brunt of his sting too, and wish you never did what you did.

That is IF he doesn't pull some wild take over, and or wastes the country past fixing... Anything could happen before the end of his next term....

I am not so sure people who voted will even be brave enough to admit it in the next 4 years...

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 12-03-2012 at 09:24 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
I would argue that the most liberal era in our history was when someone like George McGovern could get the Democrat nomination for president. I would say that the last 12 years have been the most fiscally irresponsible era in our history however.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
The 1990s were much more liberal to me. Less problems, more diversity , more jobs , (not forced)lessons about tolerance(at least in popular culture?), happiness .. I wish I could go back

Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Are we, as a country, at the furthest point left in the political spectrum in history?
In terms of the rights of women, minority citizens, and gays and lesbians, yes, and that is about it.

The programs of the current administration pail in comparison to those of the New Deal by every measure with the exception of the what I've previously mentioned.

So, in overal terms, no I don't agree.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
The 1990s were much more liberal to me. Less problems, more diversity , more jobs , (not forced)lessons about tolerance(at least in popular culture?), happiness .. I wish I could go back
True liberalism has long been gone.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
There is a slight problem with your reasoning....... This country historically moves like the tide each 8 years.

When Obama's term is nearing it;s end it will have been that 8 years and the pendulum will start to swing to the right, because by then everyone who voted for the ONE will be so sick and tired of his BSing that you people will swing the other way. You will have felt the full brunt of his sting too, and wish you never did what you did.

That is IF he doesn't pull some wild take over, and or wastes the country past fixing... Anything could happen before the end of his next term....

I am not so sure people who voted will even be brave enough to admit it in the next 4 years...
That is what you guys said last time and were historically wrong. Actually there is also a wrench in this, Bush Sr won after Reagan's two terms therefore in recent history this who 8 year tide is also false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies