Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,337,717 times

Advertisements

Looks like Boehner knows what the writing on the wall says - ie that the GOP is going to have to cave on the issue of Tax rates etc - and is making moves to punish those in the GOP who seem willing to stand in his way of making the necessary concessions to Obama.

"...All four lawmakers had voted against the summer 2011 deal negotiated between Republican leaders and President Barack Obama for extending the government's ability to borrow money in exchange for $1 trillion in spending cuts and the promise of another $1 trillion in reduced deficits. Three of the four, the exception being Schweikert, voted against the Ryan-written GOP budget blueprint that the House passed last March.

Their removal from key committees with jurisdiction over the two issues was viewed by some as a signal to other Republican lawmakers to look favorably on whatever final deal Boehner and Obama put together to avert a "fiscal cliff" combination of automatic tax increases and spending cuts in January..."

GOP leaders remove 4 from plum House committees - Yahoo! News

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Interesting, and apparently shrewd move. I suspect JB and BO solo could work a deal out in a day, so the key is removing obstacles in the way, without qualification.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
I suggest he back off or he could lose his job. I see the Tea Party as the only responsible representatives in congress. Maybe it should become a party on its own.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I suggest he back off or he could lose his job. I see the Tea Party as the only responsible representatives in congress. Maybe it should become a party on its own.
LOL! With 20% of the house (80 or so members/435) , they could fetch coffee for the 80%.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
He won't "back off". He has no other option but to move forward. Obama holds all the cards because the way the "Fiscal Cliff" was designed the tax rates automatically go up UNLESS all sides agree (including the President) - and Obama will NOT agree to letting the top 2% keep their Bush rates. So, tax rates for the top 2% are going up NO MATTER WHAT - and Boehner knows it. There's NOTHING he can do to stop it. All that remains to be seen is whether or not the GOP is seen as being responsible for a tax increase on EVERYONE. If THAT happens the GOP can kiss control of the House goodbye in 2 years.

Ken

Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Nah. Boehner did his homework. The Tea Party has never been more disposable.

After all, what benefit were they to the Repubs in this last election? They delivered nothing. No, they didn't back Romney, but they're going down with him.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nah. Boehner did his homework. The Tea Party has never been more disposable.

After all, what benefit were they to the Repubs in this last election? They delivered nothing. No, they didn't back Romney, but they're going down with him.
The GOP is "eating it's own dead" - or "children" (however one wishes to view it).

Ken

Old 12-04-2012, 10:56 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Interesting, and apparently shrewd move. I suspect JB and BO solo could work a deal out in a day, so the key is removing obstacles in the way, without qualification.
Perhaps they could have another "golf summit" and get it done.

John Boehner, Barack Obama's 'golf summit' has different expectations - Glenn Thrush - POLITICO.com

Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
Could be.

Ken

Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM

The interesting facet falling off the table in terms of public discourse is capital gains and dividends taxes. Capital gains go from 15 to 20%, and dividends which 20% of those with equity stakes get, are taxed, post fiscal cliff as ordinary income (39.6% max)!!, not at 15% max rate in effect now.

Those 2 things are why JB wants a deal. They would amount to far larger increases than the 250K plus tax rate on ordinary income.

If the cliff occurs, the pre Bush/Obama taxbill rates are here to stay. There would be no effective GOP bargaining position in 2013. I am a little fearful the WH will effectively stop discussions at some point. From a purely tactical standpoint, it would make perfect sense. (Not rooting for tax rates to go up, but talking as one would watching a good game where they rooted for neither team )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies