Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 02:59 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,491,989 times

Advertisements

Let's be civilized, and not start any flame wars..

I was just watching a documentary on the miami dade county channel, on cubans arriving in the 60's and 80's, when the haitians came.

and how the south florida paradise was lost after the cubans/haitians came.

I've been hearing the same from old white folks.

Your opinion?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Miami got its flavor and much of its positive development from the FIRST wave of Cuban immigrants. Most in South Florida make a distinction between the positive aspects of pre- and post- Muriel Boat Lift immigrations. (Though of course there are good and bad of both)

As for Haitians, I guess the net impact remains to be seen. In the town over from where I live, Haitian immigration has turned a sleepy beach town into a hot spot of gang activity. So much so, that family oriented HAITIANS are leaving the town for other parts of Florida. I just think so many recently-come Haitians are awful drivers, adding to our already bad driving problem amongst the citizenry! :-P

Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,676 times
If you want to say the current incumbent politicians in Miami which are mostly Hispanic with Cuban like myself being the majority than YES those do nothing mostly corrupt parasites are ruining Miami

However the citizens are not ruining anything and many creating jobs .
Cuban,Haitian are fine its the Miami political Cosa Nostra that is ruining Miami for everyone. They do NOTHING .They dont enforce laws ,dont provide a real bus service so poor can look for work or go to work in such a growing city ,list goes on.

Last edited by Luiso; 12-01-2008 at 03:15 PM..

Old 12-01-2008, 03:07 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,162 times
As a Cuban immigrant, and US citizen, I see it hard to believe that Cubans and Haitians could be bundle together and insinuate that the first ruined Miami. Furthermore, even among the Cubans, there are distinctions. The earlier Cuban immigrants, those that came in the 60's, have nothing in common with the ones arriving now. To answer this question would take an entire day just to make the clear distinctions between the different Cuban migrant waves and then discuss the Haitian exodus. But I don't have the time or the patient to do so. Besides, sooner or later this thread will turn into a Cuban, immigrant and Haitian bashing circus, so why even bother.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Miami got its flavor and much of its positive development from the FIRST wave of Cuban immigrants. Most in South Florida make a distinction between the positive aspects of pre- and post- Muriel Boat Lift immigrations.

As for Haitians, I guess the net impact remains to be seen. In the town over from where I live, Haitian immigration has turned a sleepy beach town into a hot spot of gang activity. So much so, that family oriented HAITIANS are leaving the town for other parts of Florida. I just think so many recently-come Haitians are awful drivers, adding to our already bad driving problem amongst the citizenry! :-P

EVERY group here drives terrible because the Key Stone cops here need to go to traffic school so they learn that turn signals, not going through red lights,reckless driving should be ticketed.

The drivers here are an abomination becasuse the politicians couldnt care less thus laws arent enforced and the key stone cops seem to not know what basic driving rules are.

If you took the same Black-White-Hispanic ,etc drivers put them in another place like N.Florida they will drive correctly real real fast .
Here its acceptable ONLY due to the worse politicians in N.America in charge.

Keep in mind people have a tendency to do what they can get away with and in S.Florida as far as driving and few other things the sky is the limit.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Miami got its flavor and much of its positive development from the FIRST wave of Cuban immigrants. Most in South Florida make a distinction between the positive aspects of pre- and post- Muriel Boat Lift immigrations. (Though of course there are good and bad of both)

Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post
The City is called Lake Worth, and if you think I'm kidding, do yourself a favor and google it. It's a major problem where there wasn't one before. Jesus, if you don't want honest responses to questions, WHY do you ask?

World's Most Dangerous Street Gangs: Top 6 one of the most criminally successful- and brutal- gangs in South Florida

Old 12-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
The City is called Lake Worth, and if you think I'm kidding, do yourself a favor and google it. It's a major problem where there wasn't one before. Jesus, if you don't want honest responses to questions, WHY do you ask?

World's Most Dangerous Street Gangs: Top 6 one of the most criminally successful- and brutal- gangs in South Florida
What's with the attitude?
and thank you for the link.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:

NY had a gang problem but the correct hands on politician (Rep) took care of it.
LA still has a problem but nothing compared to the past the correct politician (Dem) is taking care of it.

Sadly you will allways have gangs where you have poverty but most places its not growing while here it is
S.Florida has complete 100% useless parasites in office thus no wonder growing problem. The current political Cosa Nostra in S.Florida is easily the most hands off do nothing bunch in USA.

Speeches which is all they give dont count as real action in my book. To bad most voters fooled by empty words. Media here is easily fooled and their enabler.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,038,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post
Let's be civilized, and not start any flame wars..

That's all fine and good, but when you start a thread that deserves nothing less its a bit shallow to ask for something more.

"south florida paradise was lost after the cubans/haitians came."

What paradise would you be referring to? Some mosquito infested city of run down art deco buildings? I think you must be confusing Miami with Key West.

Look around South Beach and Brickle Ave, without the influx of immigrant money and imagination, Miami would have never become the business and cultural center that it has become.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies