Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
How can you tell that they're Haitian?

There are African-Americans and black Cubans, too.

Sounds like ignorant stereotyping to me.
Actually, Haitians, African Americans and Black Cubans all have a different look. All three communities came from different parts of Africa and have some ethnic differences, including color of skin and head shape. I have observed that most Haitians have really dark skin, very rounded faces and are short. Cubans black are lighter and have thin slender noses. AA are tall (due to better nutrition) and have wide noses (unless they are Ethiopians, in that case they are lighter in color too). Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, um, see, those of us in the "real world" who aren't bothered by political correct nonsense can easily spot a Haitian amongst a crowd of African Americans or black Cubans. It's actually one of the benefits of living in a culturally, racially, and ethnically diverse area. You get to know your neighbors.

First of all, Haitians, because they threw off their European overlords years before others, tend to be darker than African Americans by a lot. Very African looking. They're also the prime buyers of late 80s and early 90s Hondas and Toyota Corollas, make up a huge segment of the taxi driving population, and, oh yeah, they go to the Haitian church. Their mannerisms and dress, if they are recent immigrants, also tend to be different than African Americans or second generation Haitians.

Don't worry, I can usually spot a Brit in Orlando vs. a German as well. It's a "look" lol.
You're full of it. Please look at my SN. I am from Miami. This has nothing to do with political correctness, this has everything to do with ignorance. There are some very dark-skinned African-Americans and non-Haitian West Indians. There is no rule saying that all very dark-skinned people are Haitian. I don't even know how to respond to your stereotypes about car choices and country of origin. Ridiculous.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:39 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Actually, Haitians, African Americans and Black Cubans all have a different look. All three communities came from different parts of Africa and have some ethnic differences, including color of skin and head shape. I have observed that most Haitians have really dark skin, very rounded faces and are short. Cubans black are lighter and have thin slender noses. AA are tall (due to better nutrition) and have wide noses (unless they are Ethiopians, in that case they are lighter in color too). Just my two cents.
They do not. While visiting Miami about a decade ago, I had an African-American friend who was addressed in Haitian Creole by a Haitian woman. He was not Haitian.

You cannot differentiate African-Americans, Black Cubans, and Haitians by appearance. There are very dark people in each of those groups, as well as lighter skinned people.

What ethnicity is this girl??

She's Haitian.

What ethnicity is this girl?

She's Black Cuban.

Goes against your theory, doesn't it?

There are very short people of every race. I don't know where you get this idea that all African-Americans are very tall. That's false. Coming from South Florida, I am quite surprised at this ignorance.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
They do not. While visiting Miami about a decade ago, I had an African-American friend who was addressed in Haitian Creole by a Haitian woman. He was not Haitian.

You cannot differentiate African-Americans, Black Cubans, and Haitians by appearance. There are very dark people in each of those groups, as well as lighter skinned people.

What ethnicity is this girl??

She's Haitian.

What ethnicity is this girl?

She's Black Cuban.

Goes against your theory, doesn't it?

There are very short people of every race. I don't know where you get this idea that all African-Americans are very tall. That's false. Coming from South Florida, I am quite surprised at this ignorance.
Yes I can tell them apart. All they need to do is open their mouth and listening to their manbo jambo I can tell where they come from, how much money they make, when they migrated to Miami, which ghetto they live in, are they going to rob me or not. There, is that NON politically correct enough for you?

BTY, like you said, it is only a theory. My theory, only I use it and I don't expect you to go by it. I has served me well in the past and it has nothing to do with racism, only observation and cultural anthropology.

Last edited by CLTKing; 12-02-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Miami has been ranked worse drivers ,most aggressive reckless drivers 2 consecutive years prior .Think this yr we are in second place .

NOTHING will change with the current useless politicians.
I believe most in S.Florida must hate their family and themselves thus vote for the same politicians who do NOTHING about the huge numbers of dangerous drivers.

Lack of action speaks louder than empty speeches and since nothing is ever done IMO only a self defeating person would vote for the incumbents .
You have blamed politicians in all of your posts on this thread... can't Floridians do anything on their own?... Or are you just trying to cover up the shortcomings of the Cubans and Haitians?

Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,493,477 times
Quote:
And who lives in Westchester and West Miami? The old timers, that wonderful generation of Cubans that migrated to Miami during the 60's. Those are the ones that made Miami what it is now. Then came the other wave of Cubans in the 80's and now the balseros and others, and those have destroyed paradise.
The cocaine era (80's) really did ****ed miami up.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
, That's actually true.

it all depends what part of africa.

the same goes with the tainos and aztecs, people think they're the same but they aren't.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack the ripper View Post
, That's actually true.

it all depends what part of africa.

the same goes with the tainos and aztecs, people think they're the same but they aren't.
Exactly. Try to tell a Seminole Indian that he is the same as a Miccosukee.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Try to tell a Seminole Indian that he is the same as a Miccosukee.
LOL! they'll go beserk.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Actually most Hatians, Black Americans, and Black Cubans have thier roots in western Africa. Yes there are many different tribes in western Africa, however people from those tribes are represented in all countries in the western hemisphere with a large black population. The differences you see are more than likely from their non-African ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies