Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 04:52 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,065,085 times

Advertisements

Let me subtract 1 million Haitians from the population of 9 million in DR. So roughly 880,000 black Dominicans live in DR and 1,000,000 black Haitians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,697,259 times
And of course you also realize that a good percentage of people in that "mixed" category of Dominican would be considered black most anywhere else, including neighboring countries such as Cuba or Jamaica. I know many Dominicans more African than I am in appearance who insist on being called "mixed" or "mulatto." The Dominican Republic is much more African than you and other Dominicans like to admit, Mario. You saying Manny Ramirez is not black is enough evidence of that............There are some Dominicans, thank God, who are much more conscious and realistic than that...

Old 12-06-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Not all light skinned blacks are mixed and I agree not all of them look alike or have the same features. If you look at the blacks in Africa some have straight noses, some have curly hair or straight hair, and yes some have light skin. It just depends on the region. Some of the "blacks" you may see have no links to Africa whats so ever. Well that's if you look past the fact that humans started out in Africa and branched off. If you look at other ethnicities (sp?) there are a lot of black looking groups. Like the Aboriginal Australians.
Yes, an interesting observation. But why are even slightly white- or European-looking people outside Europe (such as the Ainu of Japan, the Berbers of North Africa, the Guanches of the Canary Islands, some of the Central Asian people and some Afghans) always thought of as being white, Caucasian or of European stock, while obviously African-looking people (Negritos of the Philippines, Papuans, Fijians, Melanesians, Torres Strait Islanders, Tasmanians) are never thought to be of African origin? Just wondering.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,516,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Yes, an interesting observation. But why are even slightly white- or European-looking people outside Europe (such as the Ainu of Japan, the Berbers of North Africa, the Guanches of the Canary Islands, some of the Central Asian people and some Afghans) always thought of as being white, Caucasian or of European stock, while obviously African-looking people (Negritos of the Philippines, Papuans, Fijians, Melanesians, Torres Strait Islanders, Tasmanians) are never thought to be of African origin? Just wondering.
I notice the opposite if you look black you are black. Take Obama for example if his mom's gene's had been a touch stronger he would not be considered the first "African-American" president or represent the black struggle to the top.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I notice the opposite if you look black you are black. Take Obama for example if his mom's gene's had been a touch stronger he would not be considered the first "African-American" president or represent the black struggle to the top.
Not true. Obama is of known African ancestry and has an African surname. He'd be considered a brother no matter what he looked like. Nobody thinks of Derek Jeter and Grady Sizemore as white.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 PM

I am not saying he would be considered white. I am just saying he wouldn't be consider black. I know he has African ancestry but American's still wouldn't consider him "African American" because for some dumb reason they only use that term for people who look black. Even if a white person born and raised in Africa came to America he would not be considered "African-American".

And I looked up some of the names you mentioned if Obama looked like Grady
http://icons.iconator.com/474/ICONATOR_71e3432315d195b881f4e32a22e93400.jpg (broken link)
You really think people would consider him the first black president and go on and on about the black struggle?

Old 12-06-2008, 09:08 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,065,085 times
Dont bother with Sunil's dad. Everything is black to him.

Anyways, if you have read more closely, you'd realize that I said

"So 990,000 Dominicans are very little mixed and are basically of african ancestry. Haitians are all basically of african ancestry."

If they are mixed they are not very little mixed. Usually its a representive number for both. And I dont care what they would be considered somewhere else. In DR, mix for the most part does not mean black. And in Haiti and Jamaica that mix would be among the lighest people in the country.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Dont bother with Sunil's dad. Everything is black to him.
Nah, I'm just not one of those part-black Latinos who hates his blackness - something Mario has already admitted to on this very forum.......

Quote:
Anyways, if you have read more closely, you'd realize that I said

"So 990,000 Dominicans are very little mixed and are basically of african ancestry. Haitians are all basically of african ancestry."

If they are mixed they are not very little mixed. Usually its a representive number for both. And I dont care what they would be considered somewhere else. In DR, mix for the most part does not mean black. And in Haiti and Jamaica that mix would be among the lighest people in the country.
Yeah, and the DR is also very much a white supremacist culture.......

Old 12-06-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I am not saying he would be considered white. I am just saying he wouldn't be consider black. I know he has African ancestry but American's still wouldn't consider him "African American" because for some dumb reason they only use that term for people who look black. Even if a white person born and raised in Africa came to America he would not be considered "African-American".
In America, if you have black ancestry, you have to be black, because you can't be white. There is no in-between here. The term African American simply evolved out of "colored," "Negro," and "black." Since there are blacks who are not American, the term African American was popularized to make a distinction for those descended from African slaves in America. Obama does not traditionally meet these criteria, but he identifies with the culture. A white person originally from Africa could never meet these criteria. That is a non-starter. They could be Zimbabwean-American, or South African-American, but never African American, just like a black African immigrant would just the same not be. He would Nigerian-American or Senegalese-American.

Quote:
You really think people would consider him the first black president and go on and on about the black struggle?
Yes, especially when they saw his obviously black father............Let me ask you a question. Would Grady Sizemore have been allowed to play in the Major Leagues before the introduction of Jackie Robinson in 1949? Hell no. And neither would have the vast majority of Dominicans.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
In America, if you have black ancestry, you have to be black, because you can't be white. There is no in-between here. The term African American simply evolved out of "colored," "Negro," and "black." Since there are blacks who are not American, the term African American was popularized to make a distinction for those descended from African slaves in America. Obama does not traditionally meet these criteria, but he identifies with the culture. A white person originally from Africa could never meet these criteria. That is a non-starter. They could be Zimbabwean-American, or South African-American, but never African American, just like a black African immigrant would just the same not be. He would Nigerian-American or Senegalese-American.
I am glad you see things that way. I too see things that way although I do not consider a black person African-American unless they are indeed African. But I do go by ethnicity. Thing is African-American is now considered a P.C to term to call ALL blacks in America regardless

Quote:
Yes, especially when they saw his obviously black father............Let me ask you a question. Would Grady Sizemore have been allowed to play in the Major Leagues before the introduction of Jackie Robinson in 1949? Hell no. And neither would have the vast majority of Dominicans.
No, I don't think so from what I have seen and been around it isn't based on who your parents are it is about what you look like. If he looked more mixed I do not think people would consider him black they would call him a biracial or something but not an African American. I know Grady would not have been allowed in he looks mixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies