Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:52 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,966,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is absolutely no way there is a reasonable budget without increasing taxes back towards 2000 levels, no one with any sanity...
That rules out the Tea Baggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:32 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,351,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
But....but.....but.....taxing the rich WILL solve ALL of our problems!!!!! Say it ain't so....

People are kidding themselves if they think they're not in for a tax increase. As I said before, they'll let the Bush tax cuts expire, do a rousing rendition of blame the republicans, then come swooping in like heros in capes to enact an emergency bill to give a tax cut to the poor who the republicans just kicked in the teeth AND a small decrease for the middle class thinking that we won't notice that our taxes just went up....

You know, there's so much blame the republicans going around Washington that I'm starting to wonder if democrats can do anything at all.
I never said it would fix ALL the problems, but the fact is the deficit is ALREADY falling (down 22% from it's 2009 peak) and this will most DEFINITELY help speed that process along. I do expect that there WILL be budget cuts as well as tax increases but the details of those have yet to be both worked out OR made public.

Ken

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
LordBalfor deserves a rep for that insightful analysis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
I would if I could but I have to spread it around.
No problem. Thanks for the compliment folks.

As we all know - but folks on the Right seem not to understand - the impact to folks on the bottom end of that "Top 2%" are NOT going to be adversely impacted in any major manner so concerns about those folks is pretty "off base".

Ken

Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,918,474 times
Its Obama and Geithner who have said if they don't egt to raise taxes o the 250K crowd they wil go over the cliff. No repulbican has said it. Its Obama presidential legacy if he does as no one will remmeber anyone else involved in time.But then the Democrats and Obama;when a senator;said that the Bush taxcuts were only a taxcut for the rich and favored letting them expire.He also voted no to raisn gthe debt ceilig when Bush was president and has a nerve claiming republicans are block him.The kitchen seeems to hopt for a my way or the highway Obama now. Geithners not payig his fair chare everyone knows about ;so he can hardly talk about fair share.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its Obama and Geithner who have said if they don't egt to raise taxes o the 250K crowd they wil go over the cliff. No repulbican has said it. Its Obama presidential legacy if he does as no one will remmeber anyone else involved in time.
Good luck with THAT theory.

"A majority of Americans say that if the country goes over the fiscal cliff on Dec. 31, congressional Republicans should bear the brunt of the blame, according to a new Washington Post-Pew Research Center poll, the latest sign that the GOP faces a perilous path on the issue between now and the end of the year..."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...liff/#comments

Ken

Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,659,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
What I'm wondering is, why is a family with income of $249,000 in the middle class, when one with $251,000 is one of the "millionaires and billionaires?" Can anyone 'splain that?
The difference isn't as big as you think. In fact, it's minimal using your example. The family making $251,000 would only be charged increased marginal tax rates on the additional $1000 in income. For the amount below $250,000 the families would have the same tax rates.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,869,195 times
Yes but I think it will be a good thing. then Obama can write his own tax reduction and it will be the Obama tax cuts vs being tied to a twit that did little for this country.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 AM

Here's the latest on the story of the gradual GOP acceptance of the reality that tax rates on the upper class ARE going to rise. As the article says "welcome to the club":

Washington (CNN) - In a significant development in the fiscal cliff standoff, Republican Sen. Tom Coburn, a leading deficit hawk, said Wednesday he would support higher tax rates on wealthier Americans as part of a broader deal with President Barack Obama and congressional Democrats to avoid the crisis.

"I know we have to raise revenue," the senator from Oklahoma told MSNBC. "I don't really care which way we do it. Actually, I would rather see rates go up than do it the other way, because it gives us a greater chance to reform the tax code and broaden the base in the future."...

GOP senator backs tax rate hike on wealthy – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Ken

Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,135,261 times
Ben Stein on the Impact of the Potential Dividend Tax Increase | Fox Business Video

Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,248,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Overspending has been responsible for a decade of deficits, not tax cuts. If the government was getting less money coming in, they should spend less money. Don't blame tax cuts for the failure of government to spend within its means.

Obama campaigned on the middle class not getting their taxes raised, so it is disingenuous to say Obama was elected to undo the tax cuts.

Besides which, this thread is "Do you think Republicans will let tax rates increase". It is not "Do you think Obama will let tax rates increase".
Confucius say, notso entirely.
Yes, spend less, make war less. Confucius bright fellow.
Clear eyes ben stein? Lol. Fox again???!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies