Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,095 times

Advertisements

In Minneapolis.

This is not an "anti-gun" question, but a home protection one.

In the article, the police office was paraphrased as saying:

He said the shooting underscores the need for firearm owners storing their weapons to keep them unloaded, with ammunition stored separately, and secure them under lock and key.

Toddler shot to death by another child in Minneapolis | StarTribune.com

If your gun is locked away, unloaded, and with ammunition stored separately, and someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night (for example), is there time to grab the key, unlock the safe (or whatever), take the separately stored ammunition, put the ammunition in the gun, and have it at the ready?

Now, I completely understand the reasoning behind such measures (and this tragedy underlines this reasoning), but that question popped into my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,531,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
In Minneapolis.

He said the shooting underscores the need for firearm owners storing their weapons to keep them unloaded, with ammunition stored separately, and secure them under lock and key.

Toddler shot to death by another child in Minneapolis | StarTribune.com

If your gun is locked away, unloaded, and with ammunition stored separately, and someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night (for example), is there time to grab the key, unlock the safe (or whatever), take the separately stored ammunition, put the ammunition in the gun, and have it at the ready?

Now, I completely understand the reasoning behind such measures (and this tragedy underlines this reasoning), but that question popped into my mind.
it's a good question. a gun isn't much good unless it's readily available and ready to fire.
but that means your kids can probably get to it and use it as well.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
In Minneapolis.

How often does this really happen?

And yeah, I know, I know, just once is enough.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,544,447 times
Really sad. This happened a couple blocks from me. It is a pretty tight nit community around here, too.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Biometric safe.

Our guns are loaded, not chambered, and out of reach.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
If you have kids you HAVE to take extra precautions to make sure they can't get to them.
That's just pure logic.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Really sad. This happened a couple blocks from me. It is a pretty tight nit community around here, too.
Yes, I know the area well, I went to Augsburg.
Tragic, sad story

Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If you have kids you HAVE to take extra precautions to make sure they can't get to them.
That's just pure logic.
In the county where I used to live, TWO police officer's children have died because they got hold of their fathers' service weapons.

One, a boy shot and killed his sister, and in the second, more recent case, a three year old boy shot himself in the head.

I guess I'm trying to say that if law enforcement personnel haven't figured out how to protect their children, then how can we expect the general public to do what's right with their weapons?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Biometric safe.

Our guns are loaded, not chambered, and out of reach.
What's a biometric safe? Does that use fingerprints to open?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How often does this really happen?

And yeah, I know, I know, just once is enough.
On the other hand, if it doesn't happen very often, then what's the point of having a gun in the house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies