Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 08:10 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times

Advertisements

I'm sitting here watching cnn...

First and foremost, I'm hearing talk about mental health screenings. This, I think, would be a disaster. Who would decide? Who decides who is and isn't worthy of a gun? By doing this you essentially create a class of undesirables. If you're going to stigmatize people based on something that is essentially "social" capability...then there will be unanticipated ramifications for it. I know personally I would never pass a mental health screening, so, if that in itself changes the way I can live in society, then I'm going to start assuming society knows more about what is right for me than I do, and therefore my obligations to society will be lessened. In terms of familial relationships, if I'm being relegated to 'child' status, then I'll fulfill my child role. So, if I am an adult, then either society treats me like one and allows me the same rights/privileges as any other adult...or they don't and they accept that they have responsibilities that would obligate them to me in other ways. After all, I am mentally "ill"...right? Handicapped? Incapable of functioning in the "right" way...and therefore, in need, and therefore rightfully needy, right?

Secondly, it's rather simple. If you own a gun, you increase your own (and everyone elses) chances of being shot. If you want a gun, you accept that reality. You don't complain about it being dangerous out there and then go do something that increases the danger you personally are exposed to and expect me to give a crap about your safety.

Thirdly, everyone has the right to defend themselves, or their home, with force...deadly force if necessary. However, I doubt that anyone attacking you or your home actually wants to kill you, not unless it's some personal vendetta they have against you...so, if a bunch of guys come to your house intending to rob you, and you're stupid enough to start waiving a gun around, don't be surprised if someone gets hurt...(then blame the world because you over reacted to a guy who wants your tv). If you want to die for your right to not have your TV stolen, then go ahead. From where I'm sitting, though, I'd rather live...tv or not.

Finally, life isn't fair. It doesn't mean you just lay down and take it..but if you're so resolved to fighting the unfairness of life, perhaps you should only use a gun you own in ways that won't encourage others to cap you off...like hunting, and marksmanship...as opposed to intimidation and a false sense of righteous self preservation...because, as with almost anything, as long as you keep it within your own life, no one is looking to do anything to limit you. And those that are don't do it by stealing your tvs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
If we can't even agree that mentally imbalanced people as defined by modern medical standards should not have semi-automatic weapons... then we as a nation are truly ****ed.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
I don't trust people who've been indoctrinated by liberal universities for half a dozen years to decide who gets to own a gun.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't trust people who've been indoctrinated by liberal universities for half a dozen years to decide who gets to own a gun.
Liberal Universities???

O.K. Then write the rules to state only Conservative University graduate doctors can perform the testing and that should satisfy all your concerns.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
You can try to get me to come in for a test, but you better have really good cookies.....

What is it about Shall Not be Infringed is it the Govt doesn't understand?

There is no higher power on earth that gave us these rights...... That power is not of earth.....

Anyone who would steal that type of power is pretty likely to lose their head..

Once i said i would never own a AK-47, and now i have 2. I had 3 and sold one

I have always said i would never buy a AR-15 and I think before 01-01-13 I will probably have one.

This time i think I will have my accountant write it off.

(Just the other day i was looking at guns in a gun store and i saw AR's with Zombie Logo... I just gotta have one of these.)

Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I know personally I would never pass a mental health screening, so, if that in itself changes the way I can live in society, then I'm going to start assuming society knows more about what is right for me than I do.
Are you schizophrenic and a danger to yourself or others because that is about the sum total of mental health issues that would disqualify you from owning a firearm. As for your obligations to society, even being schizophrenic (according to a recent Supreme Court ruling) doesn't lesson your obligations to society. But it was a nice try.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You can try to get me to come in for a test, but you better have really good cookies.....

What is it about Shall Not be Infringed is it the Govt doesn't understand?

There is no higher power on earth that gave us these rights...... That power is not of earth.....

Anyone who would steal that type of power is pretty likely to lose their head..

Once i said i would never own a AK-47, and now i have 2. I had 3 and sold one

I have always said i would never buy a AR-15 and I think before 01-01-13 I will probably have one.

This time i think I will have my accountant write it off.

(Just the other day i was looking at guns in a gun store and i saw AR's with Zombie Logo... I just gotta have one of these.)
This is the crux of the matter. The Second Amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms, yet that right is being slowly worn away by laws that prohibit certain types of weapons. While I'm not a proponent of everyone being armed with .50 caliber machine guns, eventually these little erosions of the Second Amendment are going to leave the law abiding citizens at a serious disadvantage.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
This is the crux of the matter. The Second Amendment gives us the right to keep and bear arms, yet that right is being slowly worn away by laws that prohibit certain types of weapons. While I'm not a proponent of everyone being armed with .50 caliber machine guns, eventually these little erosions of the Second Amendment are going to leave the law abiding citizens at a serious disadvantage.
I agree........ However each state retains it's own ability to control laws with in. I am lucky in that the NH CONS mimics the Federal CONS, and so there is little my state can legally do about it unless it wants to break the laws by changing the laws and that could cause a problem.

One item i would like to pick up in a 10 dollar good for life carry permit good in all states and territories, that would also cover NICS, so one would never again need wait while a phone call happens.

I think there should be a buy out for everyone who refuses to buy a 22 rifle a NATO round rifle and a 12 ga shot gun. These should be required by EVERYONE and with training over the age of 18 Period.

Don't like it buy out at the cost of these guns training and ammo on a yearly basis.
I believe that if everyone of sound body and mind were armed there would be very little need of prisons, because there would be very little crime.

I would use a Liberal State like VT as the example.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Thirdly, everyone has the right to defend themselves, or their home, with force...deadly force if necessary. However, I doubt that anyone attacking you or your home actually wants to kill you, not unless it's some personal vendetta they have against you...so, if a bunch of guys come to your house intending to rob you, and you're stupid enough to start waiving a gun around, don't be surprised if someone gets hurt...(then blame the world because you over reacted to a guy who wants your tv). If you want to die for your right to not have your TV stolen, then go ahead. From where I'm sitting, though, I'd rather live...tv or not.
That is a completely naive outlook. Someone breaks into your home and you're going to assume they only want to rob you? Have you not been watching the news for the last decade or two? Sorry, if someone breaks into my house while I'm home they have defaulted on their life, if they don't die it was their lucky day. I am NOT going to assume they "only" intend to steal something of mine and put my family at risk.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are you schizophrenic and a danger to yourself or others because that is about the sum total of mental health issues that would disqualify you from owning a firearm. As for your obligations to society, even being schizophrenic (according to a recent Supreme Court ruling) doesn't lesson your obligations to society. But it was a nice try.
If you ask me his bubble don't come to center..... That 2nd paragraph looks like fruit cake pie to me... Huh What?

I don't think the OP should be allowed to own a gun or drive a car, and or even run any machines in a factory... Well ok, he could be a Tickle Me Elmo test tickler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies