Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:31 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,473,194 times

Advertisements

This is a difficult question to answer since many conservative/libertarians are hardly conservative/libertarian. Instead, they are band wagon republicans.

However, you do bring up a good point. Why do they attack the poor, the disabled, and the disabled, instead of the Republican policies that got us into this mess?

Granted many libertarians will argue that the Bush wars were complete ****-ups and we need to pull out ASAP. They will also argue that the War on Drugs is a complete waste of resources. Unfortunately, they will hardly attack the Bush tax cuts which is the primary force behind our deficits. They think that all tax cuts are good and public investment and social insurance is bad.

While they are miles ahead of modern day Republicans and even more liberal than modern day Democrats in some areas, they have their flaws.

I have delved into the libertarian/conservative school quite extensively, but at the end of the day there is no reason to attack to Social Security. While there are concerns about Medicare spending, that is also off the table. The main drivers of our debt are Republican policies stemming back to Reagan, exacerbated by the Bush tax cuts and the Republican love of war.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,186,915 times
It's been 4 years people. Another 4 is coming.

That will be 8 years you can still blame all this on Bush.

Wise up that your leader is not qualified for the job.

No wait...you're not qualifed to vote either. lol

Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
It's been 4 years people. Another 4 is coming.

That will be 8 years you can still blame all this on Bush.

Wise up that your leader is not qualified for the job.

No wait...you're not qualifed to vote either. lol
Oh we don't forget the past mistakes of our country like you Cons do.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh we don't forget the past mistakes of our country like you Cons do.
Whah-whah-whah...in 2016 all you will still be crying about 2001.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,135,928 times
In short:
You saying something does not make it so

Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,223,501 times
I don't believe anyone hates the poor. But I believe that there is a fundamental misunderstanding about what kinds of policies intend to help the poor vs what kinds of policies actually help the poor.

Look, if giving money to the poor brought people out of poverty, we could end poverty simply by spending more money. But ending poverty isn't about welfare benefits or any benefits for that matter. Helping the poor means empowering the poor.

Most of the programs that are supposed to help the poor, have actually trapped the poor in poverty. And many more take away choice and leave the people worse off.

Social security in my opinion hurts the poor more than helps them. The poor don't live as long as the wealthier classes, so they don't benefit from social security nearly as much as wealthier people. Social security only taxes the first $100,000 of a persons income. And the interest off social security is basically horrible anyway.

Social Security vs. Private Retirement - YouTube

The minimum wage does not help the poor. Most welfare programs haven't been shown to really help the poor either. Subsidies don't help the poor.

Many of these programs are paid for through what effectively becomes a "regressive tax". And other programs have helped to make those who are poor dependent on the government.

These "global-warming" people I believe are the most harmful when it comes to the poor. They basically want to jack up the price of everything, while handing out government subsidies to themselves to buy new "green cars", which the poor simply can't afford to buy.

The truth is, government is always rigged for the benefit of special-interests. The best system for eliminating poverty, is minimal government intervention, education, and private charity.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 PM

SS does not hurt the poor and help the rich.

Seriously, stop sniffing glue. That is one of the most asinine things I have read in awhile.

Seriously, where do people come up with this ****?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:59 PM

30,387 posts, read 52,001,327 times
Not all Libertarians lean right, fyi... I identify as a Libertarian, and also as a (mostly) liberal. So please don't lump me in with "the right," and I most certainly do NOT hate poor people or minorities. Quite the opposite, really.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not all Libertarians lean right, fyi... I identify as a Libertarian, and also as a (mostly) liberal. So please don't lump me in with "the right," and I most certainly do NOT hate poor people or minorities. Quite the opposite, really.
You support Social Security?

Old 12-06-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
You support Social Security?
I would if I will ever get back ANY of the money I've paid into it all these years. At these spending rates, there won't be any left for me. Decades of paying down the tube. I hope that hoe with ten kids and ten different Dads enjoys my money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.