Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times

Advertisements

I'll start here....I saw a commercial for people to get "free" cell phones. The narrator said that they are needed so that people can get jobs.

So let's follow this "logic".

No one with a cell phone should be unemployed.

Here's another....another commercial about "free" internet service. Again, the narrator says that kids need it so they can do well in school.

No one with internet access should fail in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'll start here....I saw a commercial for people to get "free" cell phones. The narrator said that they are needed so that people can get jobs.

Here's another....another commercial about "free" internet service. Again, the narrator says that kids need it so they can do well in school.

I guess I don't follow the logic. I will say, I have seen ads and such offering 'free' or 'one cent' cell phones, but the purpose was to get the person locked into a two year contract, which is anything but free.

So, to clarify: was the commercial you saw for a free cell phone plus free telephone service (local and long distance), or just a ploy to get people signed up for service.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess I don't follow the logic.
Well, yeah, because post doesn't follow logic either. "Needed" implies necessary, but not sufficient.

The correct logic would be to say that if cell phones were needed to find a job, then nobody without a cell phone should have a job.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess I don't follow the logic. I will say, I have seen ads and such offering 'free' or 'one cent' cell phones, but the purpose was to get the person locked into a two year contract, which is anything but free.

So, to clarify: was the commercial you saw for a free cell phone plus free telephone service (local and long distance), or just a ploy to get people signed up for service.
They were government sponsored commercials.

I have no problem with the free market doing what they want.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
I see now what the OP is talking about. I found this link:

Viral video touting free 'Obama phone' puts spotlight on federal program | Fox News

I had no idea, if the article is true, that this program started back during Mr. Reagan's administration, and has grown and grown.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
That's not a commercial, it's a video.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:

The narrator should just be honest and say these are needed to keep people voting Democrat.

It's exactly what the Democrats have been doing to the black community for decades. Keep them on a steady stream of handouts and scapegoating Republicans while not actually effecting any lasting significant change at all. I mean 50 years of the war on poverty and the great society and the black community still lags behind in wealth and education but golly gee they are now a solid Democrat voting block.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
They were government sponsored commercials.
Never saw one. But then, it has been over four years since I spent more than a minute tuned into Fox News.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,647 times
While I think it is absolutely ridiculous to claim that free phones or free internet are basic human needs whose absence is simply intolerable, your reasoning is illogical.

Thus, phone or internet service are contributors to success or employability - and I can reasonably agree that this is the case in today's modern world. I don't have a cell phone and people think I am an oddity... (just like you are probably thinking, right now!).

However, something simply being a contributing factor certainly does not guarantee success.

You see, food is an important contributor to survival. However, access to food does not guarantee survival - you need water and, depending on the circumstances, you need shelter, too. Similarly, phones and internet contribute to success/employability, but access to them can not function as a guarantee. There are other parameters that need to be met.

Thus, your assertion that access to phones and internet should assure success is simply fallacious and illogical.

See the difference?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:03 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,809,082 times
Where do I get one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies