Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 10:46 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
But why do so many also oppose policies designed to assist the working poor, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit?

Why do so many support policies which effectively impose high marginal tax rates on the working poor?
The Republican party favors rich people. Conservative voters hate a lot of other Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

800 posts, read 508,726 times
There are few policies that help the working poor. Especially if you don't have kids, you're on your own then. Now policies for the non working poor.....those are too numerous to list here.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
EITC is nothing more than theft from those of us who don't qualify for it. Don't make enough money? Here, take someone else's.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:50 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The Republican party favors rich people. Conservative voters hate a lot of other Americans.
True.

I recall all of those party's that the obama's attended with poor folks during the campaign.

moochelle even had security checking *gasp* photo ID at her book signings! I guess she didn't want the poor, elderly or blacks approaching her!

You can't be serious.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Why not let the free market bring down the cost of living for everyone?
What an open-ended question that is. First of all, the actual list price for commodities and basic goods is irrelevant. Our federal monetary policy is what is forcing Americans below the poverty line. There is a reason why what used to be considered a living wage is laughable at best now.

Additionally, this free market you speak of, is this the same free market that has been decreasing the value of their products and services all while increasing end-user costs?

the system is broke. Let's cut the free-market bull**** for a minute and realize that the so-called "free-market" and big government have been working in collusion for a very long time to manipulate cost-of-living and our country's socio-economic demographics.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:51 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Because $15 TRILLION DOLLARS after the "war on poverty", we have more poverty than ever before and $16 TRILLION DOLLARS in debt.

Look, how much do you want? I'll PM you my contact information and you can ask me personally for whatever it is you feel that I, as a taxpayer, owe you.

The "war on poverty" makes many people wealthy - slumlords, merchants, etc. You don't owe me anything other than a free market in housing, free from excessive taxation and regulation.

We are wrongly subsidizing intergenerational poverty; my plan promotes work and home ownership, while discouraging people from popping out kids they cannot afford.

If burger flippers could buy small homes (allowing them to stabilize housing costs, thereby facilitating saving and investing for the future) flipping burgers would be preferable to living on the dole and popping out kids.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
What an intelligent statement. You must be a published author by now?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
The "war on poverty" makes many people wealthy - slumlords, merchants, etc. You don't owe me anything other than a free market in housing, free from excessive taxation and regulation.

We are wrongly subsidizing intergenerational poverty; my plan promotes work and home ownership, while discouraging people from popping out kids they cannot afford.

If burger flippers could buy small homes (allowing them to stabilize housing costs, thereby facilitating saving and investing for the future) flipping burgers would be preferable to living on the dole and popping out kids.
Run for office.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
EITC is nothing more than theft from those of us who don't qualify for it. Don't make enough money? Here, take someone else's.

Government already takes money from the working poor and redistributes it upward. Government policies are designed to prevent the working poor from buying homes, thereby keeping them in rent slavery, where they pay a steep premium for the inability to buy a home. Government also imposes steep higher property taxes on the rented homes of the working poor.

So you are probably currently taking money from the working poor.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:01 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
But why do so many also oppose policies designed to assist the working poor, such as the Earned Income Tax Credit?

Why do so many support policies which effectively impose high marginal tax rates on the working poor?
In the unlikely event that you don't know the real answer, I'll tell you why.

All of these trough-slopper programs are design, built, modified, maintained and funded with one real motive - to keep the trough-sloppers addicted on, and thereby dependent on, the program and its "Mastas".

Try to "look behind the mask", and you will so understand so much more than you do now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies