Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 08:37 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times

Advertisements

The holiest of holies for Republican true believers, however, is freedom from taxation. Taxes must go down and never, ever go up.

In 2011, however, Republicans have undergone something of a conversion. They are content to see taxes rise.

Indeed, they are pushing for tax increases. Of course, not higher tax bills for multinational corporations or Americans with seven- or eight-figure annual incomes.

Republicans are targeting the sick and unemployed, the indigent and elderly, as well as working-class families struggling to raise children.

Republican Policies Would 'Soak the Poor' | Common Dreams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 08:47 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
What else is new?

GOP leaders openly hate the poor and the Democrat leaders secretly hate the poor.

No one in government is truly on the side of the poor anymore. I feel sorry for them.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Again the real numbers:

The top 1 percent pay more in income taxes than ever in the last 20 years. The bottom 50% less.

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

http://www.american.com/archive/2007...pays-the-taxes

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/income...hopaysmost.htm

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...nt_594000.html

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 11-13-2011 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Do you conclude from this that the poor should pay more in taxes (more than they do now) and the rich should pay less (less than they do now)?

Old 11-13-2011, 08:51 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
There is little to gain in real numbers by taxing the wealthy. There is nothing to gain by taxing corporations because corporations will meerly pass on the added tax to consumers and it ends up being a hidden tax increase for everyone. If you look at the real inflation numbers instead of what the government cooks up to make itself look good, you can see that happening now. Do you remember the term "bracket creep"? That will happen to millions of Americans over the next decade as their worthless american dollars, are taxed due to inflation. The good news is we are all about to be in the six figure category. The bad news is a loaf of bread will cost $200.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Again the real numbers:

The top 1 percent pay more in income taxes than ever in the last 20 years. The bottom 50% less.

National Taxpayers Union - Who Pays Income Taxes?

Nearly half of Americans pay no federal income tax. Let us pause for a moment to let the reader's jealousy seethe.

Yet who would want to change places with this "other half"?
Financially stressed families pay plenty of taxes -- from payroll taxes that finance Social Security and Medicare to sales taxes and property taxes.
Those taxes represent a far larger share of their income than they do for the more prosperous. In other words, most taxes impose a greater burden on the bottom than on the top of the income ladder.

Never mind. Republicans, in the name of closing loopholes and adopting "flatter, fairer taxes," promote alternatives that will reduce federal income taxes on the most prosperous and raise taxes on low-income families.
That would make taxes flatter but far less fair.

What kind of soft-hearted/soft-headed left-wingers could have supported tax loopholes that shield millions of Americans from federal income taxes? Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush signed these tax provisions into law. They were not exactly Marx, Engels and Lenin.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Nearly half of Americans pay no federal income tax. Let us pause for a moment to let the reader's jealousy seethe.

Yet who would want to change places with this "other half"?
Financially stressed families pay plenty of taxes -- from payroll taxes that finance Social Security and Medicare to sales taxes and property taxes.
Those taxes represent a far larger share of their income than they do for the more prosperous. In other words, most taxes impose a greater burden on the bottom than on the top of the income ladder.

Never mind. Republicans, in the name of closing loopholes and adopting "flatter, fairer taxes," promote alternatives that will reduce federal income taxes on the most prosperous and raise taxes on low-income families.
That would make taxes flatter but far less fair.

What kind of soft-hearted/soft-headed left-wingers could have supported tax loopholes that shield millions of Americans from federal income taxes? Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush signed these tax provisions into law. They were not exactly Marx, Engels and Lenin.
Couldn't think of anything other than to re quote the original diatribe you posted? I read your article from a wannabe Micheal Moore. Did you read mine? I suspect not.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:08 AM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There is little to gain in real numbers by taxing the wealthy. There is nothing to gain by taxing corporations because corporations will meerly pass on the added tax to consumers and it ends up being a hidden tax increase for everyone. If you look at the real inflation numbers instead of what the government cooks up to make itself look good, you can see that happening now. Do you remember the term "bracket creep"? That will happen to millions of Americans over the next decade as their worthless american dollars, are taxed due to inflation. The good news is we are all about to be in the six figure category. The bad news is a loaf of bread will cost $200.
It's compounded though. I'm not making more than the usual dollar or two an hour increase in the last few years but everything costs a lot more. In essence most of us are taking huge decreases.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Couldn't think of anything other than to re quote the original diatribe you posted? I read your article from a wannabe Micheal Moore. Did you read mine? I suspect not.
There was only one cite when I posted mine. It says about half don't pay federal income tax. Does that about cover the cites or is there more information that you want to share. I think I covered that in my post. Is there anything else?

Since the federal income tax became law almost a century ago, progressive taxation -- taxing people according to their ability to pay -- has been a bedrock principle of how Americans paid for their government.
It makes sense.

After all, the most prosperous obtain more than most people from a federal government that enforces copyrights and patents, maintains courts that officiate over property-rights disputes and (when the government does its job right) regulates markets to ensure their fairness.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:09 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's compounded though. I'm not making more than the usual dollar or two an hour increase in the last few years but everything costs a lot more. In essence most of us are taking huge decreases.
That IS a tax... Just a hidden tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies