Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,407,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Everywhere. I often speak with white people who have no idea that blacks fought for America in World War II. I could go on.

There are stupid people everywhere, in all walks of life and in all races, colors and creeds, Lucario.

I know of people that say "chester drawers" instead of "chest of drawers" and who don't know what the "D.C." in Washington, D.C. stands for.

FWIW, before I read this thread I was unaware that there was a song that was considered the "Black National Anthem".

<shrug>

Old 12-08-2012, 08:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,407,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
blah-blah-blah...
#uselessliberalswithnoclue

Did you seriously just hashtag a forum post? Seriously?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,872,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC
Do you think they should reinstate it? & is the anthem only for blacks?
Not at all UNLESS THEY WANNA MAKE IS POLITICALLY CORRECT GARBAGE!

Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,037,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't think it's "only for blacks", it just has a special place in AA history and is very meaningful.
Maybe, students shouldn't have to remain standing for the song, if it causes that much outrage for them.

I think it is a beautiful song and I remember singing it, even as a white kid in my majority black elementary school.
Nothing wrong with the song at all - it is a good reminder of our history.

That said - no student should be required to stand for any song - whether written by 50 Cent, or Francis Scott Keyes.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You can't make students stand for the actual national anthem. The school is in the wrong, no two ways about it.

ETA: I'm actually surprised it was allowed to be played because of its religious elements. They must have cut off the last verse.
Not only the third verse - what about this line from the first verse?

Quote:
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us.
If this were the "White national anthem", then liberals would be going crazy about that word "faith".

Are black people in America not Americans - so that they need a separate national anthem, and are many black Americans not religious, so that a song that mentions faith isn't offensive to the LWNJ's?

Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 AM

420 posts, read 335,634 times
In reading the article, the new buzzword "traditionalism" was used several times. Big red flag. Especially when the subject is race related.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
In reading the article, the new buzzword "traditionalism" was used several times. Big red flag. Especially when the subject is race related.
"Traditionalism" is now a racist term, similar to "Chicago".

Liberals never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
"Traditionalism" is now a racist term, similar to "Chicago".

Liberals never cease to amaze me with their stupidity.
You funny guy. I didn't say "traditionalism" was a racist term, now did I? Are you a racist? Maybe you're a liberal. I'm neither, but go ahead and call me what you want...if it makes you feel better an' all.

Here's a clue: Traditionally, blacks were enslaved, segregated, and discriminated against. Is that a bit clearer for your obviously superior intellect?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
You funny guy. I didn't say "traditionalism" was a racist term, now did I? Are you a racist? Maybe you're a liberal. I'm neither, but go ahead and call me what you want...if it makes you feel better an' all.

Here's a clue: Traditionally, blacks were enslaved, segregated, and discriminated against. Is that a bit clearer for your obviously superior intellect?

Quote:
Add up the bolded and it = calling "traditionalism" racist.

But feel free to hide behind the technicality that you didn't specifically say that.

Those of us with brains understand what you meant.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Add up the bolded and it = calling "traditionalism" racist.

But feel free to hide behind the technicality that you didn't specifically say that.

Those of us with brains understand what you meant.
OMG. Yes, the red flag indicated racism, but not because the word itself is racist. With your big brain, I figured you would have already understood that. Anything else on your mind this morning? How about Bill O'Reilly's use of the word to mean "at the exclusion of religions other than Christianity?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.