Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:15 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times

Advertisements

I have no problem taxing the rich more and they will survive, no worries. But human nature dictates that they really do want to hang on to their money and will simply lay people off, charge more for their bobbles and we the little people will pay and pay. Does anyone really want to pay $7 for a Mc Donalds burger? Probably not so the unions need to grow up a little. But as far as taxes go....even the poor should pay a bit, every one of us should chip in and stop howling. Did we not set our sails so long ago for new land over taxes? Now we copy the very place we fled, but too late, the cake is baked and we should just pay more.

The biggest issue we have is not whether we can pay a bit more, but whether this government can stop pissing our money away needlessly. With the billions and now trillions spent and with the request to just get rid of the debt ceiling entirely, we still have people starving on the streets, medical care still unaffordable, even after a 2,000 page overhaul, and this seems to be swept under the rug by the media. We throw money away on sensless redundant programs and studies and the bulk of the money goes to the CEO's and people heading up these programs. The left howls over Wall street and sweetheart deals the CEO's of companies receive, but they continue to ignore the sweetheart deals continue...just different recipients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,754,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
the reality is the top rate will rise, and if JB negotiates well, it may only go to 37-38 instead of 39.6.

But 11/6 happened, and no amount of minority voting group whining can negate that.

This time the fact rates rise w/o action pre-empts any possibility of no rate increase.
Why not raise the tax rate on the largest earners to 91%? They did in the UK and under FDR. We survived so I say anyone earning over $250,000 should be able to survive on half that income. They should be willing to downsize into a small house or condo and chip in. 39% is nothing. Along with a flat 10% tax and it should be applied to the working poor as well. They can buy cigarettes so tax them as well.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is why.

See Video
The best you can come back with is a satirical routine by a comedian? Jon Stewart? Oh. Come. On.

What's next, public policy set by Carrot Top? Foreign policy set by Gallagher? Defense policy led by PeeWee Herman?

Old 12-09-2012, 09:51 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We survived so I say anyone earning over $250,000 should be able to survive on half that income. They should be willing to downsize into a small house or condo and chip in.
*You* move into a small condo! I didn't work to lift myself out of poverty to jump back into it that entitlement kings and queens keep getting handouts. I'm in a comfortable house in a fairly decent neighborhood and have worked hard to provide for myself and my family. "They should be willing..." Who are you to say what others should do as a result of them working hard enough to be successful? Let the 47% chip in and learn what it means to participate rather than sit back and be handed a check.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:53 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick is rulz View Post
Jesus god sakes....if you're a multi millionaire or a billionaire, you are not being 'punished' by paying a few thousand dollars more a year.

I love middle class Republicans that have the backs of the rich even though most of those same rich people would gladly eliminate the middle class supporters jobs if it meant a massive profit margin.
OBAMA IS TAXING $250K that is NOT! millionaires and billionaires. He is using millionaires and billionaires to get cover to tax higher income people. He knows damn well that his millionaire and billionaire FRIENDS will take cover.

They got theirs SCREW the people who pull out of the middle class. They got theirs screw the rest of us.

Obama is not going to give anyone a damn thing. He wants the money to grow government and increase green energy spending. Why do you all stupidly agree to this if you don't get a thing. You are being used.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post

The biggest issue we have is not whether we can pay a bit more, but whether this government can stop pissing our money away needlessly.
Exactly! I don't care who they are, republicans or democrats. Stop! pissing our money away! Obama wants bigger government. He wants to raise the debt ceiling so he can keep spending. He will keep coming back to us as his piggy bank. First it's the so called rich, then down to $150K.

Obama wants EVERYONE to pay higher taxes to pay for bigger government. After he gets bigger government then what is he going to do?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Let the 47% chip in and learn what it means to participate rather than sit back and be handed a check.
The 47% will be good little soldiers and blame everyone else but Obama as usual. BUT the only way the 47% will pay attention to Obama's spending problem is if they have to pay more.

Let it happen... everyone pay more and people will start holding the real problem (Obama) accountable to his spendaholic problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Its becoming a debatig point since it does not solve the issueof the deficit.I think if people want to do it by raising taxes then THEY should be willig to increase their taxes. We are gettigto the poit that too mnay want others to pay the tab for reckless spending.Congress has spendig rules on scorig and the they creat ways of gettig around them by requiring CBO to score all savings assumptions in bill as true instead of requiring real cuts in other areas.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its becoming a debatig point since it does not solve the issueof the deficit.I think if people want to do it by raising taxes then THEY should be willig to increase their taxes. We are gettigto the poit that too mnay want others to pay the tab for reckless spending.
Good post texdav. The people who want tax increases should be willing to pay increase taxes. They wants everyone else to pay the tab.

Only if they pay more in taxes will they pay attention to Obama's spending problem.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This is why.

See Video

That is true.
What’s wrong is the family budget analogy is that it ignores the fact that a nation is an economy. A family is not an economy. In an economy, your spending is my income, and my spending is your income. And if we all try to slash spending at the same time, the result is that all of our income falls. The result is that we go into a depression, and we end up worse off. Likewise, government spending is a significant part of aggregate demand and it was cut during an economic downturn, we'd have a depression. So, the family analogy may sound sensible, but collectively it’s very destructive.
Silly.

If this is true we could solve all our problems by having a national guaranteed working wage of $80,000 per household. Everyone would get the money and everyone would spend. Perhaps all the unemployed could be hired as federal "workers" for $40/hr? Yeah, that would work well.

As far as raising the tax rates it's has never worked to increase revenue to the public treasury. Indeed it has done the opposite every time it has been tried which is why Kennedy worked tirelessly for tax cuts.

kennedy tax cut - YouTube

But never mind, he's a right wing nut job.

But facts are facts, let's compare tax rates with revenue to the U.S. Treasury since WW2.

Historical Tax Rates

compared to

Historical Revenue to the U.S. Treasury as a Percentage of GNP

For all the nut jobs who want to go back to the 1952 tax rates how would that help? In 1952 the total money to the U.S. Treasury was 19% of GNP and that is with the highly celebrated tax rates of 1952

With those kind of tax rates you would have thought the US Treasury would certainly have taken in more money than 19% of GNP.

Fact is since 1946 the revenue to the treasury exceeded 20% only one time and that was 2000 when it hit 20.6%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies