Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,480,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I saw on a news inteview with a MI legislator that they exempted cops and firemen from the law.

What's up with that? A payoff to the public worker's unions?

Police and firefighters tend to support Republicans, so they are, um, special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Snyder and the Koch Bros Mich GOP learned from the mistake Kasich made in Ohio. They made sure the new "Right to Work yourself to death for peanuts" bill included some spending. Under MI law, that means it is not subject to a recall vote by the people:

Koch-Funded ALEC Launches Assault on Michigan Unions - Democratic Underground

The GOP- scared to DEATH of the voters!
Outstanding!

You made my day!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:43 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I saw on a news inteview with a MI legislator that they exempted cops and firemen from the law.

What's up with that? A payoff to the public worker's unions?
Yeah, I would think that if the GOP cares so much about workers, why don't they offer them this newfound "freedom"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You do realize that Michigan voters just overwhelmingly rejected the union thugs' attempt to enshrine collective bargaining rights in the state constitution, correct?
Thugs? So your average high school teacher in Michigan and Ohio is a 'thug' now? Interesting. You know, this might be why a big chunk of union folks--including myself--don't vote Republican...just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
One can join a union if they desire. A right-to-work state just gives them the choice to join or not to join a union. It's the right thing to do. No one should have to join a union if they don't want to.

Personally, I would never join a union. I don't like the idea of having to do what some fat cat union bosses tell me I have to do (go on strike -or be assaulted and have my tires slashed), picket, or any of the other things belonging to a union gives you the 'privilege' to do. I don't want to be anybody's lackey.

I have always done well on my own, by showing the boss I am worth a raise. Working hard and doing my job well, in addition to going beyond what is expected at times. They call people like that, "self motivated" and companies like people who don't have to be told what to do, but look for ways to improve their performance. They then become more valuable to the company.

Union people are lazy, by-and-large. They are not self motivated, and they need to be told what to do. They are not usually the brightest bulbs, and they won't lift a finger beyond what their job description says they are to do (and the union makes sure that they don't get asked to do any more).

A union is just like organized crime. It operates the same way. And Richard Trumka is one of the biggest thugs alive (besides being a communist). Trumka would make Al Capone proud.
Well, thank you, Horatio Alger.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:49 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,472,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Thugs? So your average high school teacher in Michigan and Ohio is a 'thug' now? Interesting. You know, this might be why a big chunk of union folks--including myself--don't vote Republican...just saying.
No, I don't think your average high school teacher in MI or OH is a thug. I think that's how union members that protest at state capitols and act like they are helpless or that they are victims of some terrible human rights violation appear.

See what happened in WI, also a historically relatively pro-union state. I think the behavior of (some of the) union members backfired.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times
Quote:
No, I don't think your average high school teacher in MI or OH is a thug. I think that's how union members that protest at state capitols and act like they are helpless or that they are victims of some terrible human rights violation appear.

See what happened in WI, also a historically relatively pro-union state. I think the behavior of (some of the) union members backfired.
But the thing is, nearly every one of my co-workers--high school teachers--here in Michigan signed the petition to get collective bargaining on the ballot this November.

And yes, one criticism I have of unions is they don't have good PR skills. They're not good at selling their case to the public at large. Hence the "Unions had their purpose, but now they're not necessary" narrative you hear everywhere--which I think is a very dangerous one.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,472,577 times
Quote:
But the thing is, nearly every one of my co-workers--high school teachers--here in Michigan signed the petition to get collective bargaining on the ballot this November.
And you lost. So are you saying you should go storm the capitol to protest this bill because your initiative lost in the election? Voting is supposed to be about settling differences between opposing sides, so to speak. What exactly makes you think that this kind of a reaction will help the cause when a very solid majority of the citizens of Michigan voted against the ballot initiative?

You can still fight this bill of course. I'm not suggesting otherwise, but I do think that perhaps the vote on unions should be a wake-up call to the unions that they should proceed with caution.

Quote:
And yes, one criticism I have of unions is they don't have good PR skills. They're not good at selling their case to the public at large. Hence the "Unions had their purpose, but now
they're not necessary" narrative you hear everywhere--which I think is a very dangerous one.
And we disagree on this.

But this is not a proposal to ban unions. Workers are free to form unions in this country in every state, even in the RTW states (the public sector union laws are different from RTW laws).

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-09-2012 at 12:14 AM..

Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,659,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
One can join a union if they desire. A right-to-work state just gives them the choice to join or not to join a union. It's the right thing to do. No one should have to join a union if they don't want to.

Personally, I would never join a union. I don't like the idea of having to do what some fat cat union bosses tell me I have to do (go on strike -or be assaulted and have my tires slashed), picket, or any of the other things belonging to a union gives you the 'privilege' to do. I don't want to be anybody's lackey.

I have always done well on my own, by showing the boss I am worth a raise. Working hard and doing my job well, in addition to going beyond what is expected at times. They call people like that, "self motivated" and companies like people who don't have to be told what to do, but look for ways to improve their performance. They then become more valuable to the company.

Union people are lazy, by-and-large. They are not self motivated, and they need to be told what to do. They are not usually the brightest bulbs, and they won't lift a finger beyond what their job description says they are to do (and the union makes sure that they don't get asked to do any more).

A union is just like organized crime. It operates the same way. And Richard Trumka is one of the biggest thugs alive (besides being a communist). Trumka would make Al Capone proud.
I was a labor union member for nearly 25 years and I can't relate to one thing you're talking about above. You're so totally clueless as to what you're talking about, it's pitiful. Much of your rantings are based on nonsense, which is acting in complete betrayal to your very own screen name? Where did you get such screwed up ideas.

In my union, during the time we thought the president had been helping himself too much to personal compensation, we complained about it. It got him so mad, he didn't run for reelection. Problem solved.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,205,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I was a labor union member for nearly 25 years and I can't relate to one thing you're talking about above. You're so totally clueless as to what you're talking about, it's pitiful. Much of your rantings are based on nonsense, which is acting in complete betrayal to your very own screen name? Where did you get such screwed up ideas.

In my union, during the time we thought the president had been helping himself too much to personal compensation, we complained about it. It got him so mad, he didn't run for reelection. Problem solved.
I'm always amused by these, "I'd never join a union" ppl claiming that union workers are lazy bums. How would they even know?

I've been a UAW member, a union sheet metal worker and a journeyman carpenter. In all my travels I have yet to meet these lazy workers. Odd. Tell me Stillwaters, have you ever worked next to one of these lazy workers? I know if I found myself working with a slacker it would take long for me to expose them to the boss. I'm not sure why anyone thinks anyone would tolerate a slacker.

My dad opposed the union every time there was a vote. The company would pay the shop whatever the union got from other shops. Why bother if he got the same pay. Of course he felt different after he lost 3 1/2 fingers in a punch press. Non union shops can cut corners other ways.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:36 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,981,706 times
Quote:
And you lost. So are you saying you should go storm the capitol to protest this bill because your initiative lost in the election? Voting is supposed to be about settling differences between opposing sides, so to speak.
Amen, as we are witnessing now with the impending increase in taxation for the top 2%.

Same principle, 11/6 sealed that deal, just as this initiative settled the RTW issue in Michigan.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:45 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,623,521 times
WHY, those eeeevulll RethugliKKKans and Teahadists.....how dare they kill innocent people....slaughter unions with impunity in order to starve the 99%.

No wonder the Libs keep braying on and on about bringing back the fairness doctrine....the word is getting out.....Demor*** hate any threat to their power-base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies