Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,045,229 times

Advertisements

Seriously though, the thread isn't about Michelle Obama's looks. You can be stupid and call her fat on another thread.

The thread is regarding Michelle's rather correct initiative to make school lunches better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 07:26 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
The conclusion I draw from this thread is that there are some RWNJs who are of the opinion that schools should be obligated to provide an "All-U-Can-Eat" buffet for free. Who woulda thunk it.
Yes - and the irony is they are the same people who want to cut gov't spending to the bone (unless it for all you can eat, high calorie lunches that lead to obesity and Type II diabetes and, for the poor kids, gov - tax funded - health care!)

Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Good for Michele Obama for trying in some small way to educate and bring to bear an effort to address Americas obesity epidemic through educating young kids at school as to what normal healthy eating involves,i doubt she'll have much success as most Americans are fat and get quite angry when options other than burgers,fries,pizza,and a myriad of deep fied stuff is suggested.
I remember a mini series not too long ago where British Chef Jamie Oliver came to America to educate kids and school boards to serve a more nutritious and common sense food menu at schools, he was met with resistance every step of the way,in the end he made a small impact on one school board.
http://www.gastricsurgeon.com/articles/chef-jamie-oliver-fights-obesity-epidemic.
While most take it as an assault on personal freedoms to dictate what can be served to kids at meal time ultimately theres a connection between Americas obesity problem and cost to tax payers to pay for the medical consequences of a nation of fat people.
Take your pick..
https://www.google.ca/search?num=10&....1.1tsAjHeF_z8

Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post

Yep. Beauty is in the eye of the beholden.
LOL!!! A quote from a cool movie: "Desperation is a stinky cologne."

Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Yeah, okay, when my husband is elected President. Besides, I'm not the one trying to regulate what goes into the heads and stomachs of American children, now am I?
No, but you are bashing a woman on her looks which has very little to do with her initiatives. So, I think YOUR looks are fair game too. However, if you did post a photo of yourself and you were unattractive, I'd still defend you. Why? Because it's lower than low and the height of cruelty to bash someone's looks.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Oh? Is this thread about moi? Why I had no idea I'm the new FLOTUS or that I am writing Federal legislation. Aren't you just so clever! I bet you make your Mommy proud, Googling away in her basement.
I wonder how proud one's mother would be upon reading vile, mean spirited comments about someone's looks?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
The thread is regarding Michelle's rather correct initiative to make school lunches better.
She's First Lady, not First Mother....and she has no business meddling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Yes - and the irony is they are the same people who want to cut gov't spending to the bone....
And why not?

Students weren't fat until the federal government violated the Constitution and usurped power from the States.

Ever since the federal government strong-armed its way into Education, students have been getting dumber and fatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
It's amazing, isn't it, how many things that have been around for years, sometimes generations, that President Obama (and the First Lady) are now being blamed for, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
The National School Lunch Program, established in the 40's, has been regulating, counting calories, under government control by the USDA for a long, long time.

Now all of a sudden it is only the Obama WH getting attacked for regulating school lunches!
Uh, what's amazing is the lengths you'll go to deceive people.

The National School Lunch Program (NSLP) is a federally assisted meal program operating in public and nonprofit private schools and residential child care institutions. It provides nutritionally balanced, low-cost or free lunches to children each school day. The program was established under the National School Lunch Act, signed by President Harry Truman in 1946.

National School Lunch Program

The NSLP only oversees those children who are in the NSLP, not all children.

And the federal government's NSLP failed.

Anyway, if it was me, I'd probably moon her and put a video on Useless Tube, or just send a text message.

If the First Frau wants to do some real good in America.....she can start teaching parents in low-income families how to set up an household budget and live within the means of that budget, so they don't have to have federal assistance.

That would impress the hell out of me.

Not amused...

Mircea

Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Students weren't fat until the federal government violated the Constitution and usurped power from the States.

Ever since the federal government strong-armed its way into Education, students have been getting dumber and fatter.
Wasnt that about the same time fast food restaurants started to became popular and the penchant for greasy burgers fries and deep fried nuggets became what many considered normal food,including what is now served on lunch menu's at schools.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wasnt that about the same time fast food restaurants started to became popular and the penchant for greasy burgers fries and deep fried nuggets became what many considered normal food,including what is now served on lunch menu's at schools.
Nope. McDonalds has been around since 1948. Jimmy Carter established the Federal Department of Education in 1979.

McDonald's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-13-2012, 07:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
She's First Lady, not First Mother....and she has no business meddling.
Quote:
If the First Frau wants to do some real good in America.....she can start teaching parents in low-income families how to set up an household budget and live within the means of that budget, so they don't have to have federal assistance. That would impress the hell out of me.

So she only has business meddling if it impresses you...

You have no idea what a First Lady does do you? She isn't giving orders to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies