Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,910,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well that is not entirely true, there are plenty of counties in North Dakota that has a much higher percentage than 3% or even 7.1% so it isn't really a low unemployment wonderland. Seeing there there are no real cities in North Dakota, it is safe to say that in some parts their Republican ideals are keeping them employed while in other areas it is not.

http://www.willistondevelopment.com/...ymentRates.pdf
North Dakota Election Results

Good for you for finding one Republican state that is doing good....so why haven't you moved to North Dakota instead of living in liberal Portland which is clearly in a much worse state than North Dakota?
Well it is entirely true. If you are insinuating that 7.1% unemployment is due to liberals, I can claim 3% in rural North Dakota is due to Republicans. And I haven't moved to North Dakota because I don't allow pointless discussions like this to dictate where I live. I know it must stink to have someone use your own twisting of the facts and throw them back at you by finding a rural, Republican state with a better employment picture than Portland. By the way, you should quit fooling yourself. We all know the employment picture in Portland is stark. Go to the Portland forum and post about how great the job market is there and see the responses you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 01:18 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Well it is entirely true. If you are insinuating that 7.1% unemployment is due to liberals, I can claim 3% in rural North Dakota is due to Republicans. And I haven't moved to North Dakota because I don't allow pointless discussions like this to dictate where I live. I know it must stink to have someone use your own twisting of the facts and throw them back at you by finding a rural, Republican state with a better employment picture than Portland. By the way, you should quit fooling yourself. We all know the employment picture in Portland is stark. Go to the Portland forum and post about how great the job market is there and see the responses you get.
The job market is still better in Portland than it is in the rest of Oregon, and if you were using my logic, you would of picked a state that had a liberal city in it with a higher unemployment than the more rural Republican counterparts, which is not what you did. You picked one of the most sparsely populated states across the board.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 PM

68,350 posts, read 54,502,307 times
More proof: The Democratic Party has FAILED economically at the state level

In order to have MORE proof you'd first have to have proof

Just another baseless, right-wing whiny-weenie thread.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
The job market is still better in Portland than it is in the rest of Oregon, and if you were using my logic, you would of picked a state that had a liberal city in it with a higher unemployment than the more rural Republican counterparts, which is not what you did. You picked one of the most sparsely populated states across the board.
Right. I chose a Republican, sparsely populated state with low unemployment to contrast to your densely liberal city. You were trying to say that liberals caused low unemployment in Portland, contrasted with the higher unemployment in the state with more conservatives. I found you an example of a sparsely populated state with 3% unemployment and, using your formula, attributed to conservatives.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM

990 posts, read 940,806 times
Quote:
Do you mean the urban places have less unemployment than the rural places? You mean...there's more jobs in cities than in the rural areas? OMG Great catch
So unemployed people are more likely to be from Conservative places, again proving my point. Cities are where economic activity is more significant and there are more jobs. If the only people supporting Liberal policies were "welfare queens and food stamp kings" how come the places where there is less unemployment are generally the places which are more liberal?

Quote:
I bet you attribute Arlington, VA's 3% unemployment rate to it being liberal too, amiright? It has nothing to do with proximity of the federal government. Correlation doesn't equal causation.
And big federal government is a supposedly "Liberal" idea, right? So wouldn't that be proof?

And using Arlington as your example merely proves the point:

Quote:
Arlington County is one of the most Democratic localities in Virginia. It last supported a Republican for president in 1980, and all elected officials in the county are Democrats.
In 2009, as the state was voting for Republican Bob McDonnell for governor by a 59% to 41% margin, Arlington voted for Democrat Creigh Deeds 66% to 34%. Arlington also elects four Members of the 100 Member Virginia House of Delegates and two Members of the Virginia Senate. State Senators are elected to four year terms, while Delegates are elected to two year terms. The county is included within Virginia's 8th congressional district, currently represented by Democrat Jim Moran.

Chair of the County Board Chris Zimmerman - Democratic Party
Vice-Chair of the County Board Mary Hynes - Democratic Party
Member of the County Board Jay Fisette - Democratic Party
Member of the County Board J. Walter Tejada - Democratic Party
Member of the County Board Libby Garvey - Democratic Party
Treasurer Frank O'Leary - Democratic Party
Clerk of the Court Paul Ferguson - Democratic Party
Commonwealth's Attorney Theophani (Theo) Stamos - Democratic Party
Sheriff Beth Arthur - Democratic Party
Commissioner of Revenue Ingrid Morroy - Democratic Party

Senator Adam Ebbin - Democratic Party
Senator Barbara Favola - Democratic Party
Delegate Rob Kru***** - Democratic Party
Delegate Patrick Hope - Democratic Party
Delegate Robert Brink - Democratic Party
Delegate Alfonso Lopez - Democratic Party
So your point was what exactly?
Because by pointing out Arlington, you're merely showing that a heavily Democratic city is thriving. Meanwhile, the more heavily Republican areas in Virginia like Chesterfield, Hanover and Roanoke are suffering from higher unemployment than the more Democratic strongholds like Arlington or Alexandria or even Fairfax County.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Right. I chose a Republican, sparsely populated state with low unemployment to contrast to your densely liberal city. You were trying to say that liberals caused low unemployment in Portland, contrasted with the higher unemployment in the state with more conservatives. I found you an example of a sparsely populated state with 3% unemployment and, using your formula, attributed to conservatives.
Yes in states with liberal cities, the conservative rural parts usually have much higher unemployment, you have not disproved that.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
So unemployed people are more likely to be from Conservative places, again proving my point. Cities are where economic activity is more significant and there are more jobs. If the only people supporting Liberal policies were "welfare queens and food stamp kings" how come the places where there is less unemployment are generally the places which are more liberal?

And big federal government is a supposedly "Liberal" idea, right? So wouldn't that be proof?

And using Arlington as your example merely proves the point:

So your point was what exactly?
Because by pointing out Arlington, you're merely showing that a heavily Democratic city is thriving. Meanwhile, the more heavily Republican areas in Virginia like Chesterfield, Hanover and Roanoke are suffering from higher unemployment than the more Democratic strongholds like Arlington or Alexandria or even Fairfax County.
It's thriving off the backs of American tax payers.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
It's thriving off the backs of American tax payers.
And you can thank the Republicans for that who support having a large defense budget.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Yes in states with liberal cities, the conservative rural parts usually have much higher unemployment, you have not disproved that.
Nor have you proved the causal relationship between liberals and lower unemployment in cities.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
And you can thank the Republicans for that who support having a large defense budget.
Not really. I'm not a Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies