Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
First, why shouldn't union guys vote Republican? I find that to be a very strange thing to say. Does your entire concept of self have to be wrapped up in the union? Maybe they like the Republicans' stance on taxes or school vouchers or religious freedom or gun rights or terrorism or immigration or whatever. I happen to support gay marriage and I'm Republican. Yes I disagree with my party on that issue. But there are a dozen other issues I do agree with them on. Including unions. And I say that as a former member of UFCW.

I have nothing against unions in the private sector with voluntary membership. But most unions, private or public, want to force membership. They feel their power of collective bargaining should trump my individual freedom of association.

They also tend to go way overboard. Unions create ridiculous work rules to protect their members that go beyond common sense. And they replace merit with seniority.
I agree with this 100% and believe dems have done a great job of pigionholing reps. Lets get back to the less goverment conservative movement. Log cabin republicans have long been under the tent! Lets expand the tent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Conservatives dislike unions for two reasons:

1. They don't believe that workers should be allowed to have any rights. Rights are only for the big people.
2. They believe that unless you're a CEO or an independent business owner, you're worthless. You're nothing. And should be treated as such.

That is why.
Two straw dogs in one post, awesome.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
What a person pays in union dues is for the union to fight for them, they also pay because they receive the benefits of belonging to a union. Right now I'm a temp worker if my job didn't like me they wouldn't have to tell me a thing I'd just be gone and fired FOR ANY REASON. With a union, A GOOD AND STRONG UNION there is a better chance of them fighting for you or at least preventing the employer from frivolously firing you for no reason. And if you think that sort of thing does not happen then you are fooling yourself
The down side is unions often cause issues like at hostess or the auto industry.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Conservatives dislike labor unions, because their member give to Democrats, rather than Republicans. That's why conservatives hate teachers so much.
More ill-informed drivel from the Looney Left.

I dislike unions because they serve absolutely no purpose in the modern world. I have worked in both union and non-union shops, and the behaviour I witnessed at union shops would never be tolerated in a non-union shop: employees drunk/stoned on the job, rampant theft, complete slacking, sleeping on the job, etc. Unions served their purpose in a time when people were forced to work seven days a week and no sick days for a pittance. Now we have labour regulations that prevent this kind of employee abuse, and union workers tend to be grossly overpaid for the work they perform.

One company I worked for (Mowat Express) in Toronto went out of business because of union-sanctioned employee theft. As this was a warehouse job for a shipping company, part of the employee agreement stated the company reserved the right to search you or your car in the event they suspected theft. Prior to my employment, a skid of golf clubs "went missing" during lunch break. The clubs were never recovered and the the foreman was fired as a result. When the new foreman started, the shop steward and the health and safety rep approached him and said if a single union member was searched, the union would order the workers to unload only on truck a night until the trucks were backed all the way down Birchmount to Lawrence Avenue, and he would be out of a job. As such, theft was so rampant within the warehouse that most companies chose to ship elsewhere and the terminal was shut down, resulting in 100% job losses.

Last edited by Annuvin; 12-12-2012 at 09:26 AM..

Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
I am against government and state workers being able to unionize... We already subsidize their lazy butt's through tax dollars with inflated wages and benefits as is.

Recently the TSA was unionized... these bums are the bottom of the barrel. Every other day there is a story about a TSA agent stealing IPADs etc or groping a female. All the union does is make it harder to fire these bad workers.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Short answer:

Because they're told to.
Conversely, one could opine that many people like unions because not only do they protect the incompetent but they also relieve them of the chore of thinking for themselves when it comes time to vote.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
The down side is unions often cause issues like at hostess or the auto industry.
That's debatable that the unions had anything to do with either of those situations.

It's a well known fact that GM's leadership from the top is the reason they failed. Poor models, poor engineering and poor vision. Toyota was developing hybrid technology when oil was $40 per barrel and GM was putting 600HP engines in SUV's. That is not the union's fault. The union offered concessions to have more say on the models and more input on efficiency ect. GM said NO.

Hostess was a company that had to die. The union took nothing but cuts and it died anyway. Who the hell buys Twinkies or HoHo's anymore? Idiots is all.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabianS View Post
Yes it's PUBLIC SECTOR UNIONS that any sane and informed citizen hates.

Get this... Unionized Government employees are forced to pay dues which pay for "donations" that go almost entirely to Democrats, after which the unions get to "negotiate" with said Democrat politicians in Government for pay raises, which the Democrats of course know will result in richer union "donations". HOW THE HECK IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

FDR himself warned about public sector unions.

Several cities in California are bankrupt because of this racket, yet the progtards like Obama still see no evil as they march us blindly OVER THE CLIFF.
You it seems, have been drinking from the paranoid bottle again, how long will it be before you call for the elimination of the Democratic party ? I am sure its just around the corner with all the other lies piled upon so many by the mouthpiece Fox News......have it their way, I am sure you do every day as you stand and celebrate the lies, the un truths coming from the far right. Yes, you have bought it, hook line and sinker, your TV and your talk radio tells you so, it must be true? ya sure, you just keep believing that.....

Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Conservatives dislike labor unions, because their member give to Democrats, rather than Republicans. That's why conservatives hate teachers so much.
More lefty lies. Conservatives don't hate teachers. We hate teachers unions. That allow bad teachers to continue on in the classroom. That don't hold teachers accountable for their results. That shriek about children suffering in the classroom, but let schools close so that they can continue their gravy train. That think it's OK for 10th grade Johnny to read at a 5th grade level.

I don't dislike unions. I HATE them. Because I believe your pay, employment, benefits and job security should be based on how good of a job you do, not how long you've managed to stick around. Because I believe that if you drink and smoke dope on the job, you should be fired. Because I believe that unions promote laziness, entitlement, and violence.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:31 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I am against government and state workers being able to unionize... We already subsidize their lazy butt's through tax dollars with inflated wages and benefits as is.

Recently the TSA was unionized... these bums are the bottom of the barrel. Every other day there is a story about a TSA agent stealing IPADs etc or groping a female. All the union does is make it harder to fire these bad workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies