Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 10:49 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times

Advertisements

With the price of gold going up so much how is the united states gold reserves compared to the debt? Could it be sold off to eliminate debt or is this supply of gold the reason we dont seam to care about the debt? Are we increasing value in gold by spending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
1. I don't think anyone knows how much the US gold reserve actually is so it cannot be compared to the debt easily. It also changes frequently as there are quite literally giant piles of gold under the Federal Reserve bank of NY and as deals are made gold is moved from one pile to another (Yes that place in Die Hard with a Vengeance actually exists).

2. I suppose you could sell off gold, but mostly it is for a Forex reserve.

3. In the end gold is just a commodity as such any inflation will cause commodity prices to rise.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Randomstudent covered it...

As the dollar devalues...commodities go up.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 AM

My question wasnt to actually do it, but when gold goes up why are we not showing it as a assest? We show a debt as a country and all the talk about defalting as we go over the cliff. Well if we were going bankrupt as a person we would liquidate assests to pay debtors. Here we have a nation in debt and we dont even know our assests?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
I don't think you could sell off an amount that would make a meaningful impact to the debt without actually impacting the market price for the gold. I think it would be kind of like the whole E=MC2 thing. You can never go fast enough to break the speed of light because mass gets increasingly heavier the faster it goes. I think with the gold you could never sell enough because flooding the market like that would keep making it cheaper, the more the US sold the cheaper it would get. Just a VERY rudimentary example, but conceptually I think there might be a similar impact.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
My question wasnt to actually do it, but when gold goes up why are we not showing it as a assest? We show a debt as a country and all the talk about defalting as we go over the cliff. Well if we were going bankrupt as a person we would liquidate assests to pay debtors. Here we have a nation in debt and we dont even know our assests?
We know our assets we just don't freely and publically divulge them. I seriously doubt most individuals do that. We are also not going bankrupt. The fact is we are the dollar is the reserve currency of the world and USTBs are still considered the world's premier safe harbor. There are and will be for the foreseeable future lots of people willing to lend to the US based on the full faith and credit of the US federal government.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
We know our assets we just don't freely and publically divulge them. I seriously doubt most individuals do that. We are also not going bankrupt. The fact is we are the dollar is the reserve currency of the world and USTBs are still considered the world's premier safe harbor. There are and will be for the foreseeable future lots of people willing to lend to the US based on the full faith and credit of the US federal government.
Then why all the debt bs when in reality we dont know if we are truly in debt? Our assests shouldnt be sold but somewhere we should show assests vs debt ie like a business.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Then why all the debt bs when in reality we dont know if we are truly in debt? Our assests shouldnt be sold but somewhere we should show assests vs debt ie like a business.
Because governments are not like businesses at all. We are in debt, but we are not bankrupt. Basically, it is a giant balancing of things and right now they are pretty balanced. Aside from that if the US paid off all of its debt it would probably do more harm then good to the world economy.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:47 AM

Instead of paying off debt by selling gold why not just give enough gold to our debters to oay them off?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Instead of paying off debt by selling gold why not just give enough gold to our debters to oay them off?
Thats pretty much the same as selling it. Here is an ounce of gold, now you give us $1700, just subtract it from our negative balance with you. No cash changes hands but its a sale of gold still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies