Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Considering that they are all national brands we have up here (we have the same Kellog's, General Mills, etc. that you have) they all have the English side up, even in the downtown grocery shops. Yes, even in NYC. The only place where I've seen what you're talking about is Puerto Rico, not even in Florida I saw this.
And here we have the Spanish side up for both store brand and national brand.
This was in a regional supermarket we have here called HEB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And the Polish only speak their language here and they only speak Polish in their homes so what's your point? Are they not allowed to speak their primary language seeing as we are a country without an official language or is it just the Mexicans that bother you?
No that's not my point. Someone else posted that by the 3rd generation they are all speaking English.
I think this go round is not going to end up that way.

I've adjusted and adapted. If I didn't or couldn't then I would move.

It's multiculturalism at work. But I will tell you that it does segregate people more than assimilation does because you've lost the communication between the two groups.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH are YOU talking about? There is no fear of "natural" change but there certainly is objection to unnatural change via illegal immigration. Learn to know the difference! I don't fear any race nor do most other Americans. We have had every conceivable race living here since our country's founding.
Do you think it was "natural" when the white man landed here and started committing genocide against the native people and then stole 1/4 of the nation from Mexico?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Do you think it was "natural" when the white man landed here and started committing genocide against the native people and then stole 1/4 of the nation from Mexico?
So this is revenge on the White man ?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
BTW, I have faith in God and IMO this is God's plan. We had this beautiful country that he provided for us and how did we pay him back? We killed the Indians instead of treating them as equals. We stole human beings from Africa and enslaved them.

We have also done some very good things for the world but all in all I think it's a bad idea to have a big group of white people together with too much power.

In 100 years this will be a different country completely and no one is going to care about what racist white people thought about the change in 2012.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
BTW, I have faith in God and IMO this is God's plan. We had this beautiful country that he provided for us and how did we pay him back? We killed the Indians instead of treating them as equals. We stole human beings from Africa and enslaved them.

We have also done some very good things for the world but all in all I think it's a bad idea to have a big group of white people together with too much power.

In 100 years this will be a different country completely and no one is going to care about what racist white people thought about the change in 2012.
And we have children in other countries learning English because that is the global language of business.
Oh the irony of it all.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:47 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
There were no immigration laws back then. I can't speak for the actions of dead people anyway. They aren't us and we aren't them. Get your head out of the past. They were all Europeans including the Spaniards so why just mention race? The Spaniards conquered the native indians that were from south of our border yet you defend the Spanish language? No land was stolen from Mexico. There was a treaty signed by both sides and the U.S paid Mexico $15 million for certain lands that they held for a short 25 years. None of this has to do with the topic at hand anyway.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:51 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No that's not my point. Someone else posted that by the 3rd generation they are all speaking English.
I think this go round is not going to end up that way.

I've adjusted and adapted. If I didn't or couldn't then I would move.

It's multiculturalism at work. But I will tell you that it does segregate people more than assimilation does because you've lost the communication between the two groups.
So hou have no proof of 3rd generation Hispanics not knowing English? That figures. You also missed my point, the Polish here speak their primary language all the time and it isn't an issue, but for some reason it is an issue for you when Hispanics speak Spanish. Does it bother you when you hear people from Europe speaking their primary language in this country or is this only a Hispanic problem for you?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Who the hell is "we"? Those people are all dead now. How the hell are we responsible for the actions of our ancestors? My ancestors didn't even come here until well after the native indian conflicts anyway and after this country was established as the USA. Or am I guilty by skin color anyway?

This sounds racist with the remarks you made in your last two paragraphs.

So it is racist to object to illegal immigration that dilutes or erases our culture, language and identity as a nation? I guess every other country in the world is racist also then since none of them including Mexico would welcome an illegal invasion of their country and rightly so.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-17-2012 at 04:33 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So this is revenge on the White man ?
He's probably a disgruntled mestizo Mexican. What is ironic is that they are half white themselves from their Spanish side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies