Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yep, along with our straight, white teeth.
I'd venture a guess that there are lots more Europeans with good dental health than what we have here. In this Darwinian society, dental care is hit or miss, depending on your wealth......or your luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:41 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
I'm a first generation Hispanic, my parents came here from Mexico. Almost no one in my family who is under the age of 25 speaks a lick of Spanish. Miguel calls himself Michael, Ricardo calls himself Ricky, and so on.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No.........

The ones in the United States run the gamut. In some places, the Latinos are predom or as white as any German descent person. In others, black as any African American. Having a truly "non white" ancestor doesn't send someone to the "nonwhite" category automatically!

It's why the minority-majority thing is a joke. It's a conflation of "race" and ethnicity," when the two should not be mixed (no pun intended). Especially as Latinos intermarry more and more it will be harder to pigeonhole the population of Latinos.

Even the average Mexican is more Euro blooded than anything else according to racial studies.... but, since we tend to get a LOT of Mexico's underclass (compare to the Spanish-Mexicans that were among the first settlers of the American Southwest), the ones that come here out fo economic necessity are often 0% mixed, or very little mixed, from the poor states in Mexico, and especially Guatemala/Central America, which is heavily mestizo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario
We should be a country where most people are bilingual. Maybe we'd be like most others around the world.
Probably not going to happen. By the 2nd generation it starts devolving into god awful Spanglish or that horrid Miami accented English.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
I'm a first generation Hispanic, my parents came here from Mexico. Almost no one in my family who is under the age of 25 speaks a lick of Spanish. Miguel calls himself Michael, Ricardo calls himself Ricky, and so on.
Ok, stop right there. Lies, all lies. We've been assured here multiple times that ALL Hispanics speak Spanish at home and in public, ok?!?!

Old 12-14-2012, 04:07 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's funny it bothers natvists when people speak Spanish, but no one ever complains about the people in Brighton Beach, NY speaking русский. Where I used to live there were more Russians than Hispanics, and Russian was the second most spoken language, no one complained. I wonder if people would complain if Russian was the language written underneath all the Home Depot signs, especially around here
Oh stop with the nativists nonsense! It isn't nativist to expect immigrants and citizens to learn and speak our language. I couldn't care less what language someone speaks at home. Your analogy doesn't cut it. Are Russians speaking their language all over this country whereby all you ever hear is Russian anymore? Yes, I would object if Home Depot or any other business were to post signs in several different languages. WTH we are an English speaking country! If you dont' want to assimilate then don't come here.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Did you know, gramps, that Hispanic immigrants acquire English at a faster rate than other immigrant groups? Of course you don't. You're locked in your mindless prejudice where facts don't matter and beliefs are paramount.

This country is doomed. We're a nation of ignorant fools who don't know anything and have no desire to learn anything.
Is that also true of the illegal kind? Where are your stats on that? What good does it do to learn English is you won't speak it? Prejudice? So the truth is prejudice now?

Oh, yeah we are the most successful country in the world but we are consisted of ignorant fools that don't know "anything" or refuse to learn "anything"? Talk about stupid nonsense and exaggerations. This one takes the cake!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Fail. I live in Arizona and have no problems speaking only English every day, so to hear someone claiming it is a place where I will not hear English spoken much at all is pretty damn funny.

Sure there are many countries where more people are bilingual, but it isn't as pervasive as you seem to believe. You are looking at it from your interactions with people engaged in international trade, where English is the dominant language. Most people in China only speak Chinese, most people in Bolivia only speak Spanish, most people in Vietnam only speak Vietnamese, most people in Egypt only speak Arabic, etc.

Sure there are exceptions, India has lots of English speakers or people from the Netherlands will often be fluent in at least 3 languages, but as a whole most people in the world can speak their local language.
Americans speak American NOT UK English, yes I do realise a lot believe the so called good book was first printed in American.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Americans speak American NOT UK English, yes I do realise a lot believe the so called good book was first printed in American.
You do realize that the American way of speaking English is similar to how English was spoken in certain regions in the 1600s, do you not? Shakespeare would have an accent similar to American today if we had voice recordings of him. Not to mention many of the first British settlers to North America came from the West Country, who have an accent similar to American still. The Brits call it the "farmer" accent

Old 12-15-2012, 03:08 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You do realize that the American way of speaking English is similar to how English was spoken in certain regions in the 1600s, do you not? Shakespeare would have an accent similar to American today if we had voice recordings of him. Not to mention many of the first British settlers to North America came from the West Country, who have an accent similar to American still. The Brits call it the "farmer" accent
The West country sound like Americans, please tell me you are kidding, Cornwall, Somerset, Devon sound like Americans.
Must tell my wife with a cut class accent born in Devon that she sounds American.

Or are you saying Americans all speak with a British working class accent ?

Old 12-15-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
The West country sound like Americans, please tell me you are kidding, Cornwall, Somerset, Devon sound like Americans.
Must tell my wife with a cut class accent born in Devon that she sounds American.

Or are you saying Americans all speak with a British working class accent ?
Reread my post again. Most of the English settlers that settled the 13 Colonies came from western England, yes what is now Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, etc. You seemed to also jump the gun and go on an emotional rampage when mentioning your wife, so you also failed to comprehend that I mentioned the 1600s. Obviously accents do not stay the same in the span of 400 years, and the majority of settlers from the West Country were working class and the poor, not middle class and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies