Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM

30,400 posts, read 52,016,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh I agree, and when you look at history, they were both key things to help our country move beyond segregation.
Exactly... but some people only look at the surface, and yell "racism!" without even bothering to examine the hows, whys and whens. As I said above, I'm not a history expert (always my worst subject, along with physical sciences) - but at least I paid enough attention to know the reasons behind these things, and how they helped our country to achieve full equality. Still some work to do, though.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 PM

29,610 posts, read 16,600,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It's how they get votes. They don't get the average American vote. They get the votes of everyone else by playing them against the norm. This is plain to see from all the post election coverage. Who voted for Obama? Blacks, hispanics, young single women, union members, gay people, etc. Obama did not win the vote of the middle class suburban American, the "regular folks." He won by pitting all the other groups against that one.
Yes, you are not an average american if you are black, Hispanic, gay, a union worker or single.

i guess the only regular americans are white straight married RTW people.

and republicans really wonder why they lost the election.

wow, the last sentence in this line(that i already deleted) got me an infraction, really

Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,239,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
One example I would give off the top of my head is VAWA. Joe Biden sure got a ton of exposure and support from feminist organizations from championing it. I see that as an example of a progressive treating one segment of the population differently than another segment for political gain. Why not simply put together legislation aimed at increasing efforts to end ALL violence? The answer I see is that this would have been seen as just another regular crime bill and not received nearly as much attention.
Our country is also 51% women, I see no problem creating a bill that addresses the needs of 51% of the population. I also see no problem with addressing each violent crime as an individual instead of having a sweeping general act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies