Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 04:44 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
I do not understand why people are not discussing the reason why someone commits such a heinous crime. To me, that should be the point of discussion...Not the object that was used to cause it. Because you can take said object away, but you cannot take away the DESIRE and the WILL those sick people have to hurt others.
You cannot legislate that.

It is naive to assume a human being will say "Well, okay! I can't get a gun to kill XYZ so I am just not going to kill them!". They will find other means to!

What drives someone to kill? Steal? Cheat? Is it an object? Is it a gun? A knife? A bomb? Their private parts?
You will never eliminate crazy people, the investigation will point out why this mentally ill individual was still out on the street. Another question is why his mother had 3 guns one of them a semi-automatic when she knew her son had issues, it's complicated but she should not have had those guns stored where he had access. Something is wrong with the sysytem when a deranged individual can get his hands on semi-automatic wseapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Failed logic. If that was the case, we'd see similar things happening in countries like Canada, Japan, parts of Europe etc with very strict gun control laws. America has a gun problem and there is no denying it. The arrogance of the gun lobby in this country is killing America from the inside.
None of these countries have a shared border with a country resembling Mexico..

1,604 posts, read 1,566,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Part of what you are not understanding is that the US doesn't have the same composition or demographics as other countrys. Europe is not a good model and nor is Asia. It's much the same as comparing apples to watermelon.. We have a much larger land mass and we cannot enforce the laws that are currently on the books. If we did, a lot of these tragedys would be prevented from that alone. You can't legislate yourself out of harms way of a mad man. There simply isn't a means for us to do it. The enforcement of such a law would be virtually impossible because of our issues on our southern border. This is not to mention our coastal waterways that are also exposed.. We no longer have the luxury of a blank check either.. Our financial condition is not adequate to enforce our laws that are existing.
Wow, anything to avoid dealing with the gun issue eh?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:45 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times
Quote:
Here is a partial list for you...

Link isn't working, just a box with a ?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:47 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,566,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You will never eliminate crazy people, the investigation will point out why this mentally ill individual was still out on the street. Another question is why his mother had 3 guns one of them a semi-automatic when she knew her son had issues, it's complicated but she should not have had those guns stored where he had access. Something is wrong with the sysytem when a deranged individual can get his hands on semi-automatic wseapons.
And that sums up America's problem. The gun lovers have yet to provide an adequate rebuttal for this.

BTW, the mother had 5 guns, not just 3.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:48 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,965 times
Quote:
Part of what you are not understanding is that the US doesn't have the same composition or demographics as other countrys. Europe is not a good model and nor is Asia. It's much the same as comparing apples to watermelon.. We have a much larger land mass and we cannot enforce the laws that are currently on the books. If we did, a lot of these tragedys would be prevented from that alone. You can't legislate yourself out of harms way of a mad man. There simply isn't a means for us to do it. The enforcement of such a law would be virtually impossible because of our issues on our southern border. This is not to mention our coastal waterways that are also exposed.. We no longer have the luxury of a blank check either.. Our financial condition is not adequate to enforce our laws that are existing.
I'm not advocating for an entire ban, I'm saying something has to give. I understand the complexity with demographics and locale. But, using these countries as a model to work from, despite limitations, is something that needs to be considered.

Just curious what your thoughts are on how to address this issue--what to approach / attack first?

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Typically conservatives are very very very pro-gun but absolutely against making health care broadly available. As you know.
Actually you're wrong, again. Conservatives are opposed to bankrupting a nation to provide "free healthcare" broadly available.

The plan the GOP originally floated was a national plan that was funded by mandatory payroll taxes. It was the liberals who opposed the plan because they felt it would burden the poor.

My position is widely known here and by my representatives. I met with them on many occasions when I owned the business: national health plan. Payroll taxes. Sliding scale.

Healthcare should be portable. It should cover mental healthcare and even certain dental procedures. Everyone should help fund for their care.

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Every country has people with mental health issues. Very few countries have the murder rate that America does... especially in the developed world. The level of gun violence in this country is simply unacceptable. When you make it easy for unstable people to obtain guns, you end up with cyclical mass murder tragedies like we do in America. To pretend that it's simply a mental health issue is an attempt at sweeping the real issue of guns under the carpet.
At what point did I claim that it is simply a mental health issue? This is a societal issue, plain and simple. We are raising children in an environment of pretend violence and rewarding mediocre behavior, while at the same time making it close to illegal for parents to even attempt to discipline their children. Then we're turning children that are unprepared for reality loose on the world and expecting them to know how to handle life.

While every country does have people with mental health issues, most developed nations have a system in place to deal with them. Our country, on the other hand, attaches a stigma to anyone who admits to mental health issues and makes it nearly impossible for people that need treatment to receive care. I've dealt with mental health issues in my own extended family, and I can tell you from experience that getting an unwilling person into a treatment facility is more difficult than purchasing a firearm, even when medical professionals agree that the person needs to be admitted.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:50 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Default Veterans' Gun Rights Becomes Tough Issue In Defense Bill

Really bad timing on Tom Coburns part, luckily common sense prevailed, congress needs to take a good look at how these mental health issues are addressed.

"Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., sought to amend the bill to stop the Veterans Affairs Department from putting the names of veterans deemed too mentally incompetent to handle their finances into the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, which prohibits them from buying or owning firearms."

Veterans' Gun Rights Becomes Tough Issue In Defense Bill

Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
Quote:
Wow, anything to avoid dealing with the gun issue eh?
We need "media control" not gun control. The media covers these tragic, horrific crimes 24/7 and to the person who is mentally ill or unbalanced, it gives them the courage and idea to get stardom the same way.

If someone is hell bent on killing, they will find a way to do it, with a gun, a bomb, or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies