Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The men who wrote our Constitution used words commonly used among the educated. "Well regulated" shows up in the same context in letters written by Washington during the war among others.
The second amendment was written in 1791. I'm sure they could have used "trained" instead of "regulated" if they wanted to limit the application. As in this case:

"Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
- Richard Lee, 1788
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,920,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Ask this man that question:

Police: Rochester man shoots granddaughter, mistaking her for intruder - Post Bulletin

Shouldn't there be a protocol before someone indiscriminately opens fire on someone he/her cannot see?
He could not identify his target and now he will pay the price both with his freedom if he is convicted of manslaughter and definitely with his emotions for the rest of his life. Back to one of my earlier comments, with rights comes responsibilities.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,920,600 times
Quote:
This shooting and killing of 20 children and 6 adults was not an accident. Therein lies the difference.

Besides, we did things to minimize injury and deaths from auto accidents such as seat belt laws, speed limits, drivers education and testing, and constant police surveillance of drivers.
In both situations, neither the shooting victims nor accident victims thought they were putting themselves in any danger when they left the house.

We have background checks for buyers. Murder is already illegal. The school was locked. A determined crazy guy is difficult to anticipate and can usually get past a lot of obstacles to reach his goals. That's why I think that force is the only option. When someone sees an episode like this happening, respond with the same or greater force.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,920,569 times
Quote:
1) Abolish Gun shows. Unlicensed dealers can sell guns there without any background checks and 40% guns are bought and sold through this loophole.

2) Strict protocols for licensed dealers.

3) Any buyer must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.

4) One month waiting period before purchasing gun.

5) Ammunition cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept also for Ammunition purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.

6) Finally, a 100% tax on guns and ammunition to pay for extra police, safety measures in schools/public places (bullet proof doors, windows, surveillance cameras, etc.), medical expenses of future victims, and any other cost that results from a shooting or to prevent a deadly shooting.

I will be submitting these suggestions to my congressman and senators.
All excellent and very reasonable ideas which I would support.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,539,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The second amendment was written in 1791. I'm sure they could have used "trained" instead of "regulated" if they wanted to limit the application. As in this case:

"Militias, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms. To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
- Richard Lee, 1788
You're making a silly argument here. They chose the words they chose, and you know well what the meaning was in the 1700's. Any one of the amendments could have been worded differently without changing the meaning, so what's your point here?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM

376 posts, read 296,265 times
The only solution to allow the 2nd Amendment. <-- Joined late, what kind of thread title is this??

I ratted out an erratic (I'm not saying they were plastered but they were crossing the lane lines buy half a vehicle width in both directions) driver to the local police yesterday. Had the pleasure of watching the vehicle get pulled over before anyone got hurt. I don't know the outcome, it's not my business. I let the experts sort it out.

I also had a young friend of my daughter's seriously hurt by a drunk driver over the weekend. 2 hours trapped in a crushed vehicle with her femur sticking out on plane sight. I hear she screamed a lot. She will live.

The point is, we've been regulating forever and further regulation of the vehicle and the alcohol will not keep this from happening. We have to identify and stop the people.

Is there no 911 that citizens can call to report erratic social behavior? (the rumor your kid brings home from school, the facebook threat, the observed antisocial behavior) Why not? (hello 822, I need to report a wierdo...) Because it violates their "rights".

I am as disgusted, saddened and tired of the endless tragedy as anyone, but the monotinous knee-jerk gun control drivel is maddening. Treat the problem, not the symptom. We ban guns, how hard is it going to be for the next madman to toss a firebomb into a classroom?? Are we gonna outlaw gasoline, glass bottles, rags and lighters??

WE need the means to identify suspect behavior and let the experts sort it out.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
You're making a silly argument here. They chose the words they chose, and you know well what the meaning was in the 1700's. Any one of the amendments could have been worded differently without changing the meaning, so what's your point here?
They chose the words they chose, because they were smarter than people like you give them credit for. That isn't a silly argument, that is a fact. Also a fact that eludes most of you is the make up of the society at the time that played a role in it.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
They chose the words they chose, because they were smarter than people like you give them credit for. That isn't a silly argument, that is a fact. Also a fact that eludes most of you is the make up of the society at the time that played a role in it.
You're playing a silly uneducated game of twisting the meanings of words around to try to make them mean what you want.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You're playing a silly uneducated game of twisting the meanings of words around to try to make them mean what you want.
You're sticking to "only training" mantra, aren't you? Accept it, and move on. The founders weren't good enough to have used that word instead.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
You're sticking to "only training" mantra, aren't you? Accept it, and move on. The founders weren't good enough to have used that word instead.
Have you found an alternative meaning for "shall not be infringed" yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies